The General Ross County Chat Thread

It’s looking increasingly likely we will go down this year. Would it be such a bad thing to have a young manager, with the loan signings away, to try and build a team with who’s left and compete in the Championship, ala Partick Thistle? 

1 minute ago, Pete the Jakey said:

It’s looking increasingly likely we will go down this year. Would it be such a bad thing to have a young manager, with the loan signings away, to try and build a team with who’s left and compete in the Championship, ala Partick Thistle? 

Whilst we obviously don’t want to go down, it would allow a complete reset and fresh start. I genuinely don’t think it would be tragic. 

18 minutes ago, silver said:

With the season running down quickly now how much time would you give him?

I don't think you fully appreciate how absolutely honking the squad is - it would struggle in the Championship.  The fact that it was allowed to get to this point is heehaw to do with Cowie. Harry Potter on steroids would be hard pushed to sort it out any time soon. 

43 minutes ago, silver said:

How many times have we heard that this season-player (insert name) should have scored. We have scored just 20 goals in 25 games.

I know, it's terrible. Brophy in the games I've seen still needs to get fitter. Remember the form he was in when he first arrived?

Murray at least tries 100% and could hit scoring form. White if he gets his confidence back... well I remember his hatrick last season away to Dundee United. What a match that was!

Next weekends match at home to Livingston is HUGE, although County are off form, I hope it's packed out with home fans. Want to avoid that bottom spot.

28 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

25 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Whilst we obviously don’t want to go down, it would allow a complete reset and fresh start. I genuinely don’t think it would be tragic. 

Like we did with Kettlewell a few years back, how did that one go again?

Going to get pelters for this.....but we need someone to be the stop gap between the chairman and the football team.  County have never been better than when we had a director of football who stopped Uncle Roy messing around with the football side of things.

27 minutes ago, Steve Carrella said:

I don't think you fully appreciate how absolutely honking the squad is - it would struggle in the Championship.  The fact that it was allowed to get to this point is heehaw to do with Cowie. Harry Potter on steroids would be hard pushed to sort it out any time soon. 

The fact Malky was allowed to start this season is beyond criminal, the fact that Adam's meltdown will distract most from this fact makes it worse.

Play offs are winnable, more about nerves on the day than ability. County have recent experience. Must avoid relegation spot!

I think it's still possible to stay in the league, but it's going to be very, very close and nerve wracking yet again. 

Cowie has learned from managers at Watford, Cardiff, Wigan, Hearts etc as a player as well as his experiences here. Give him a chance. 

As for relegation, if it happens, the championship with Falkirk back, Raith, Partick etc, it's entertaining, but I don't think we would be straight back up. County could be down for a while.

The Livi game is huge, for those that can afford it, this is not to be missed. Positive atmosphere will help the team. Win this, then see what happens

4 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Going to get pelters for this.....but we need someone to be the stop gap between the chairman and the football team.  County have never been better than when we had a director of football who stopped Uncle Roy messing around with the football side of things.

Agree totally with this totally.

1 hour ago, Sonam said:

the championship with Falkirk back, Raith, Partick etc, it's entertaining, but I don't think we would be straight back up. County could be down for a while.

55 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Agree totally with this totally.

I can't help but feel that you may have made an omission in the totality of anticipated rivalry 

34 minutes ago, sophia said:

I can't help but feel that you may have made an omission in the totality of anticipated rivalry 

I partially agree. 

As others have said, the stopgap between the chairman and the manager is missing.  I like Steven Ferguson but I can’t help but think he’s too nice. 

2 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Like we did with Kettlewell a few years back, how did that one go again?

We built a very strong championship team, winning the league at the first attempt and won the Challenge Cup. My post clearly states I don’t want us down. I don’t think any fan willingly wants their club relegated as that would be bizarre. However, there is copious amounts of deadwood at that club and getting relegated would make a lot of it easier to shift. That doesn’t just include on the pitch, either. 

I've not been to a game in a long time so my musings are from what I read here and dad.

Mackay had lost dressing room, Adams came in and made an arse of handling the press and chucked players under buses then reversed bus over them.

Don's a liked figure at the club (to best my knowledge) I think we have to write the season off, if we don't drop automatically likely playoffs. That isn't going to be on Don though.

If Don can start to get the players heads up and working for the jersey then that wouldn't be a bad outcome whatever league we are in. 

Whoever's doing the scouting needs fired though. It's always going be tough attract young lads to Dingwall, I left the Highlands at 18 and have no wish go back.

Edited by RH33

You can rest easy at the fact that if you do go down, you’ll still be a league above The Caley. Pity, as I was dusting off my absolutely superb derby match day promo that you all know and love.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

You can rest easy at the fact that if you do go down, you’ll still be a league above The Caley. Pity, as I was dusting off my absolutely superb derby match day promo that you all know and love.

I have a bad feeling about this one. 

13 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

My recollection differs. The last director of football was so toxic that he wouldn’t let the manager and chairman converse directly, it all had to go through him.

He trawled the Dutch leagues for talent which resulted in a squad of absolute nobodies who’s names usually ended in sen. 

I was told by a serving director at the time he was seen to be “stealing a wage” and nobody knew what he did all day. 

I’m not totally against the idea, but I think it would likely be wasted expenditure. 

53 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

St Johnstone showing that Rangers aren’t good enough to break down a well organised defence.   We go to Ibrox and concede a shot every two minutes. 

Levein is a decent manager who made good Jan signings. Adams in this spell, didn't. To be fair I hear the goalkeeper is good (not seen him play yet)

Unless there is a shock fall of Hibs, happened before I suppose... or Aberdeen, though doubt it.

Basically catching Motherwell is the only hope of avoiding play offs and that's assuming Livingston stay bottom.

St. Johnstone aren't going down. Have a feeling Motherwell won't either.

Play off place is probably best hope. I won't blame Don Cowie for that. 

Raith / Partick / Morton in a play off, I'd still be hopeful as long as it's not Partick in the final again. 

20 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

That team we had in the Championship is probably better than the one we have at the moment.

I'd agree and even that had some very meh players.