The General Ross County Chat Thread

Fantastic news that we've signed Carey, strange to see St's released him, seems like a fantastic player! :rolleyes:

Apparently he was a fat, lazy underachiever :rolleyes:

We fucked up letting Carey go. Great signing for County

Edited by Drooper

Graham Carey and Brain Maclean signed. Happy with both. Carey will provide good competition on the left-side and McLean signing makes sense as it looks like we'll be playing 3-4-3/5-4-1 sometimes this season. That takes us up to 8 signings with 9 departed. One more striker and that'll be us I imagine!

In

Kevin Luckassen (AZ Alkmaar)
Darren Maatsen (Excelsior)
Ben Gordon (Yeovil Town)
Melvin de Leeuw (SC Cambuur)
Marc Klok (Utrecht)

Steven Saunders (Motherwell)

Brian McLean (Dundee United)

Graham Carey (St.Mirren)

Out

Iain Vigurs (Motherwell)
Paul Gallacher (Partick Thistle)
Sam Morrow
Andre Hainault
Mark Fotheringham (Notts County)
Archie McPhee (Nairn County)
Evangelos Ikonomou
Steffen Wohlfarth
Paul Lawson (Motherwell)

Graham Carey and Brain Maclean signed. Happy with both. Carey will provide good competition on the left-side and McLean signing makes sense as it looks like we'll be playing 3-4-3/5-4-1 sometimes this season. That takes us up to 8 signings with 9 departed. One more striker and that'll be us I imagine!

In

Kevin Luckassen (AZ Alkmaar)

Darren Maatsen (Excelsior)

Ben Gordon (Yeovil Town)

Melvin de Leeuw (SC Cambuur)

Marc Klok (Utrecht)

Steven Saunders (Motherwell)

Brian McLean (Dundee United)

Graham Carey (St.Mirren)

Out

Iain Vigurs (Motherwell)

Paul Gallacher (Partick Thistle)

Sam Morrow

Andre Hainault

Mark Fotheringham (Notts County)

Archie McPhee (Nairn County)

Evangelos Ikonomou

Steffen Wohlfarth

Paul Lawson (Motherwell)

TBH (to be honest), I'm surprised if Carey has agreed to sign on the basis that he'll be competing for a place, as he was looking to leave Saints in January on the grounds that he didn't think he was getting enough 1st team action. That said, with only a few days till the season KOs, he'd be looking to get fixed up.

For me, he is the type of player who needs a consistent run (in a consistent position) in a team. He can be a bit erratic, but is undoubtedly a very talented player.

At least you's have signed a grafter in Gary Harkins :P

Gifted....yes;

Grafter....

Hmm, I'll get back to you on that one.

To be fair, he has apparently looked keen enough during pre-season matches (I've only caught him in one, and he looked decent).

Edited by Drooper

TBH (to be honest), I'm surprised if Carey has agreed to sign on the basis that he'll be competing for a place, as he was looking to leave Saints in January on the grounds that he didn't think he was getting enough 1st team action. That said, with only a few days till the season KOs, he'd be looking to get fixed up.

For me, he is the type of player who needs a consistent run (in a consistent position) in a team. He can be a bit erratic, but is undoubtedly a very talented player.

Maybe he was sold a vision of being a regular on the left hand side of midfield. We've seen a myriad of formations this pre-season, but with him I can envisage Melvin de Leeuw playing closer to the striker rather than starting on the flank:

Brown

Kovacevic Boyd* Munro* Gordon

Sproule Quinn Brittain Carey

de Leew

Luckassen

*Who knows what the defensive set-up will be.

I thought the stock formation would have been a 4-1-4-1 with de Leeuw on the left and an extra central midfielder.

Derek Adams tends to stick to a successful set-up, he doesn't tend to do horses for courses. A lot of Ross County's squad are of a an equal calibre; there are going to be a few disappointed players through the season.

Edited by bunglebonce

This makes a lot of sense. Adams stuck with Cooper a lot during pre-season, which surprised me. I suspected he was using him to plug the hole left by De Leeuw's injury, but now I suspect it was with the intention of Carey or someone slotting straight in as a direct replacement. It seems a shame to class Cooper as simply "filler" but that's all I see him as.

Given what I've seen or heard about De Leeuw, he could well be utilized in a more central role off Luckassen (or perhaps Mustafi). I would think a forward pairing like that would be relatively interchangeable too. Certainly Luckassen seems happy to come deep for the ball if needs be.

Edited by Spain

I'd imagine Cooper will go on loan as I can't see him getting much game time now. I've no idea if Elgin have signed a replacement for Daniel Moore but a season there playing 30+ games would be just as beneficial as playing 5-10 sub appearances in the SPL. He shows glimpses of good play down the left but too many games he's anonymous and defensively he switches off. Off the top of my head, Motherwell's winner in the 3-2 match and Zwolle's 3rd goal the other day being a couple of examples.

County have made a few good signings, expect you's to have another decent season.

As have ICT, Motherwell, St Mirren, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Aberdeen...

The middle order is going to be hyper competitive, again, but I think Killie, Hearts, Hibs & Thistle will be a bit further behind.

I'd imagine Cooper will go on loan as I can't see him getting much game time now. I've no idea if Elgin have signed a replacement for Daniel Moore but a season there playing 30+ games would be just as beneficial as playing 5-10 sub appearances in the SPL. He shows glimpses of good play down the left but too many games he's anonymous and defensively he switches off. Off the top of my head, Motherwell's winner in the 3-2 match and Zwolle's 3rd goal the other day being a couple of examples.

I'd agree with that. I can't remember if it was you or someone else I turned to in Zwolle after about 60-65 minutes and said I'd actually forgotten he was even on the park.

As have ICT, Motherwell, St Mirren, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Aberdeen...

The middle order is going to be hyper competitive, again, but I think Killie, Hearts, Hibs & Thistle will be a bit further behind.

Agree with that, apart from Hibs. I think they will be top 4 once they get sorted after last week. They have signed some decent players in my view.

We could easily have 6 players making their competitive debut at the weekend

Of the traditional squad numbers to be taken (according to Wiki, at least), #9 and #10 are still available. Will Carey get #10, Mustafi/another #9?

I have to say that I'm very impressed with the strength in depth of the squad, but finding the winning combo won't be easy.

Agree with that, apart from Hibs. I think they will be top 4 once they get sorted after last week. They have signed some decent players in my view.

I must protest! They have signed decent players, but their squad is so heavily imbalanced. They'll draw too many games because their centre of midfield is too slow and uninventive, while the centre-back pairing is a nightmare waiting to recur. Fenlon's tactics were out-moded in the 70s and all of the middle order teams will beat them, more often than not. I confess I don't know anything about their new striker, but unless he can carry the team like Leigh Griffiths did then I do think they'll struggle.

Edited by bunglebonce

Excited by Carey signing! Was wary too much was going to be put on De Leeuw to replace Vigurs wide left, and also accommodate the relative lack of creativity in the middle with Lawson going. I like Klok, but I'm not sure he's quite as creative... I may be wrong here, I've not seen as much of him as others.

So Carey and De Leeuw, with Maatsen and Sproule, all as options wide and off the striker is great news.

McLean seems a solid option at the back, may end up being one of the undoubted few who will be frustrated at not getting a regular game, but great for the squad.

Just the striker left to get now. Luckassen looks one of the best options we've had in a while, but i agree with those saying we could do with a proper back-up/physical alternative.

BB: very much agree re - Hibs.

Edited by dingdong1929

Fantastic news that we've signed Carey, strange to see St's released him, seems like a fantastic player! :rolleyes:

There's a good player in there, but his attitude towards training and keeping himself fit, let him down by all accounts.

I can't see Adams putting up with that attitude. So, for his sake hopefully he'll realise he's getting a second chance to prove himself. Not against us hopefully.

Not good enough to play left back or left wing,but does well on the left of a midfield five.

Good dead ball delivery and a cracking shot, on the odd occasion.

If you get the Carey we had on his first spell with us, then you'll have a decent player.

Edited by FTOF