The General Ross County Chat Thread

Somewhere in between, but closer to the former.

There are loads of quotes about of him liking to get on the ball and make things happen for others. And I genuinely appreciate his link up play between the lines as much as his goals. Yet he also happens to be the most natural finisher at the club since... ever? I don't think he's scored from outside the box yet at Ross County.

Edited by bunglebonce

Settle a debate.

Boyce -

is he a physical penalty box predator who generally only scores from within the box.

Or

Is he a player who has good touch, likes to beat a man and scores various types of goals.

If neither is true and you have a couple of minutes please describe him as best you can.

Cheers!

I would say the latter, the vast majority of his goals have come from inside the box, he has shown that he can finish quite comfortably with both feet and his head. He can however hold the ball up and bring others into play as well, an all round brilliant striker IMO

Neither/both.

He has good body strength and uses his body well, but is maybe too short to be 'physical'? He times his leaps well though and has scored a few headers already this season.

In general, he times most of his leaps and runs, etc. well and is an intelligent player. So he is predatory in that regard, but he contributes a lot more, so couldn't really be described as just 'a predator'.

He does love to beat a man, but doesn't have great pace, so uses body swerves etc to get past a man. Doesn't make rampaging runs a'la Giggs/Greasy Ronaldo/Billy Ferries. Just does enough to make space to get a shot away, and/or make a defender look like a tit (see Goodwin).

When at Cliftonville he used to run with the ball more, maybe because he was younger and had better pace, maybe because defenses there were less able than here. He also used to play in midfield from time to time in his second spell there, allowing Joe Gormley to play on his own up front, but they were usually a partnership.

He has a great touch and technique, sublime at times. Sometimes the odd clever flick doesn't quite come off, but his technique is certainly one of his strengths. Comfortable with either foot, or going either way when on the ball.

Basically he's a very good all-round forward, with average pace and maybe short height.

He's like a less-mental Cassano with a bonny ginger sheen.

Clips of some of his Cliftonville times, the first clip is just brillliant:

Edited by dingdong1929

Somewhere in between, but closer to the former.

There are loads of quotes about of him liking to get on the ball and make things happen for others. And I genuinely appreciate his link up play between the lines as much as his goals. Yet he also happens to be the most natural finisher at the club since... ever? I don't think he's scored from outside the box yet at Ross County.

Away to Kilmarnock, albeit deflected.

I'd say he's plonk in the middle of the two descriptions. I'm trying to think of an obvious comparison, but I genuinely can't think of someone who plays the same way.

Next summer, we might be counting the pennies if we flog him. Ker-ching! He'd smash our record transfer fee. Derek Adams' last moment of genius signing him.

Edited by Savage Henry

Next summer, we might be counting the pennies if we flog him. Ker-ching! He'd smash our record transfer fee. Derek Adams' last moment of genius signing him.

Out of interest, what is our record transfer fee received? £250k for Neil Tarrant? Or was that never realised in full on account of him achieving sod all after leaving us?

I'm relatively confident we can fend off the vultures in January, but if he carries on scoring, come the end of the season we could be easily looking in the region of £750k-£1m. I highly doubt he'll be at Ross County come 1 September 2016.

Out of interest, what is our record transfer fee received? £250k for Neil Tarrant? Or was that never realised in full on account of him achieving sod all after leaving us?

I'm relatively confident we can fend off the vultures in January, but if he carries on scoring, come the end of the season we could be easily looking in the region of £750k-£1m. I highly doubt he'll be at Ross County come 1 September 2016.

Derek Adams for £175,000 would be the highest confirmed fee, but I don't know how much we ended up getting for Tarrant from Aston Villa. I'd have thought your figure wouldn't be far wrong.

Awrite lads, your old boys Xi looks to have signed Steven Saunders on a deal until January. Our first choice Right-back - Scott Taggart - will be out for about 2 months so I'd imagine that's where he'll be playing.

What can we expect? I seem to remember him being quite good a few years (and injuries) back.

Awrite lads, your old boys Xi looks to have signed Steven Saunders on a deal until January. Our first choice Right-back - Scott Taggart - will be out for about 2 months so I'd imagine that's where he'll be playing.

What can we expect? I seem to remember him being quite good a few years (and injuries) back.

If he wasn't made of chocolate, he'd genuinely be a decent footballer, he did have a few howlers for us though.... Good luck to him!

He's never, ever, ever, ever a right back. He's a decent centre half, but if you've signed him to play right back then don't expect him to get forward much. He'll look exactly what he is, a centre back doing a job out of position.

He's made of chocolate, as was mentioned above. He knows it and I assume your manager knows it. So one game a week is the most you can reasonably expect of him.

That said, I think he's a terrific centre half. I'd actually rather have him there and Barr at full back.

He's never, ever, ever, ever a right back. He's a decent centre half, but if you've signed him to play right back then don't expect him to get forward much. He'll look exactly what he is, a centre back doing a job out of position.

He's made of chocolate, as was mentioned above. He knows it and I assume your manager knows it. So one game a week is the most you can reasonably expect of him.

That said, I think he's a terrific centre half. I'd actually rather have him there and Barr at full back.

We may end up doing that tbh. We've currently got a centre-mid playing at RB so I'd guess he'd be more suitable than that. Barr played at RB a few weeks ago and was competent enough but doesn't have the pace to get up and down the line like Taggart.

We get knocked out of every cup at the earliest possible opportunity, so one game a week is fine. I doubt Barr or Frazer Wright could manage more than one either.

We may end up doing that tbh. We've currently got a centre-mid playing at RB so I'd guess he'd be more suitable than that. Barr played at RB a few weeks ago and was competent enough but doesn't have the pace to get up and down the line like Taggart.

We get knocked out of every cup at the earliest possible opportunity, so one game a week is fine. I doubt Barr or Frazer Wright could manage more than one either.

Yeah. Saunders has a history of playing right back, so it's not foreign to him. He shouldn't play there, but he can. Again, a good signing for you guys if he's used properly.

I liked Saunders, reads the game well, reasonably composed and likes to play out from the back. Also decent in the air.

That said, his mind seems to be ahead of his atrophied legs at times, so sometimes he makes a wee howler...

Good footballer, just a shame his knees are made of shit and sellotape.

I hope he does well, and he has proven he could do a job at RB, though he is not going to bomb on wingback style at all.

Him and Barr could work quite well together back there, although I prefer the idea of Barr at RB and Saunders inside at CB.

Edited by dingdong1929

Regarding Boyce - if you think back a few weeks to the start of the season, he was doing his share of the link up and provision, while Curran was banging in the goals. Really looking forward to having CC back, as although we have coped without him, we're much better with him starting.

I count 62 matches without Ross County scoring a direct free kick. The last was Richard Brittain equalising against Partick Thistle on 1 March 2014.

Thats really quite poor.

Especially when you consider Brittain and Vigurs used to bang them in every few weeks.

Am sure De Vita hit a cracker pre-season, and Boyce has come close with a couple. Would like to see them given more opportunities to take them.

Thats really quite poor.

Especially when you consider Brittain and Vigurs used to bang them in every few weeks.

Am sure De Vita hit a cracker pre-season, and Boyce has come close with a couple. Would like to see them given more opportunities to take them.

Or just a lifetime ban for set pieces by Martin Woods.