The General Ross County Chat Thread

Why?

Because we'd have secured a substantial fee in return for very little investment. Of course, the fact he's only signed up to the end of the season would make that outcome somewhat unlikely. So we'd be better off with him scoring some goals.

Lukassen gets a hard time from our supporters. He was playing a thankless role as a lone striker in a poor team and we were offered a big wad of cash for him before he had the time to adapt and develop.

Because we'd have secured a substantial fee in return for very little investment. Of course, the fact he's only signed up to the end of the season would make that outcome somewhat unlikely. So we'd be better off with him scoring some goals.

Lukassen gets a hard time from our supporters. He was playing a thankless role as a lone striker in a poor team and we were offered a big wad of cash for him before he had the time to adapt and develop.

Totally agree. Think he was hard done by and put in some great shifts for us.

Some bits and bobs on Schalk, apologies if any of this already posted here, is just a copy of my OTB posts.

Some great counter-attacking moves in that video.
He looks class! The video definitely get better as it goes on. Seems quick, good movement, another wee tough guy, can run with the ball, good touch, and can finish.

Is very obviously a cherry picked highlights package, but am letting myself get quite excited by it wink.gif

In Curran's unfortunate absence, Id love to see him line up with De Vita, Boyce and Gardyne. Could be beautiful.

Just did a quick check, and he has a similar record to De Leeuw (prior to arriving at us), but at a higher level.

Schalk: 16 games, 6 goals in second tier with PSV II.
80 games, with 14 goals, in the top flight
(58 games and 10 goals with NAC Breda, 22 and 4 while with Go Ahead Eagles).
Also 8 Holland U-20/U-21 appearances and 3 goals (all u-20).

De Leeuw: 59 games 13 goals, second tier (Cambuur)
94 games, 18 goals, lower league (Roosendaal)

Schalk is also c.two years younger.

So I'm hopeful he's going to be of a similar standard to De Leeuw, and so I'm still excited smile.gif

I've watched that video a few times since the rumour first started. He looks a good finisher from his goals there, he certainly finds the corners well off both feet, especially from his left.

I'm inclined to downplay it without seeing him in a Scottish match. But he's the type of player the front line was missing.

In other news, it looks like the upgrade of the old astroturf facility behind the east stand, to a new 3G surface, is nearly finished. Those Ross County players are lucky boys to have the training facilities that they have on site.

Edited by bunglebonce

I've watched that video a few times since the rumour first started. He looks a good finisher from his goals there, he certainly finds the corners well off both feet, especially from his left.

I'm inclined to downplay it without seeing him in a Scottish match. But he's the type of player the front line was missing.

Aye, am only half-serious when I say I'm getting excited, but he certainly has potential to be a decent signing.

How easy that will be to realise, in another country, having not played for months, in a new team, I'm not sure.

I would assume you'd be allowed an emergency loan when you're down to 1 keeper.

Yes you can get emergency loans. But the transfer window being shut means you can't loan in players outwith Scotland.

This substitute goalkeeper chat reminded me of Darvydas Sernas' ill-fated spell at the club last season (specifically his brief cameo in goal after Mark Brown got sent off vs St Mirren). According to Wikipedia he's scored 10 goals in 11 appearances for his new club, Zalgiris Vilnius. I always thought he might have been good for us if he'd had more of a chance. Maybe even in that quick striker role we've been lacking in recent weeks?

This substitute goalkeeper chat reminded me of Darvydas Sernas' ill-fated spell at the club last season (specifically his brief cameo in goal after Mark Brown got sent off vs St Mirren). According to Wikipedia he's scored 10 goals in 11 appearances for his new club, Zalgiris Vilnius. I always thought he might have been good for us if he'd had more of a chance. Maybe even in that quick striker role we've been lacking in recent weeks?

I was a huge fan of Sernas, still disappointed he didn't get more of a shot, looked a cracking player.

Really think he was a step above, and exactly what Jim (and everyone else) has said we've been missing this season.

I assume Jim was looking to bed him in slowly, preferred Curran's work-rate (although Sernas looked a hard worker too!), and he didn't settle as a result.

Was only short-term, so I imagine he wanted to play football, put himself in the shop window, and see if he liked it himself.

But that didn't happen :(

Brian Graham's tall...

I was thinking about this recently.

Bear with me.

It used to be that if you had injured centre-backs etc, you'd slot a tall striker in back there to make do.

For example, Brian Graham.

Rationale being they know what a striker is going to do, and have the physique for the job (see Sutton, Warhurst, etc.)

Nowadays, folk use midfielders in there.

Barcelona obvious examples with Mascherano, and previously Song.

But now Man U are doing it with Young and Blind (their defenders are Small, Young, and Blind, hehehe), sometimes Carrick too.

And Roma are doing it with De Rossi and Florenzi.

Not even as sweepers playing behind a defence, a'la Beckenbauer and Sammer but as full-on defenders.

Can see the attraction to build from the back, but tends to mean you have a shit defence.

That's all.

I get why they do it, just a general comment as it seems to have near completely replaced the 'old' idea.

Edited by dingdong1929