The General Ross County Chat Thread

Although I was almost completely overseas during his short time at the club, I also was gutted Sernas's time here didn't work out. I think he could've turned into a very good player for us, and suspect he may have been a better player than many with us at that time. Bittersweet that the team suddenly clicked, went on an amazing run to survive the drop, and because if it he never had a look-in. More sweet than bitter, it must be said.

If you search for "Liam Boyce" right now on twitter, all you find is official tweets for the Norn lineup, or rakes and rakes of people questioning along the lines of "How the f**k is Josh Magennis starting over Liam Boyce?"

If you search for "Liam Boyce" right now on twitter, all you find is official tweets for the Norn lineup, or rakes and rakes of people questioning along the lines of "How the f**k is Josh Magennis starting over Liam Boyce?"

Is Boyce on the bench? I'm tempted to switch off the Scotland shite and bring back #LiamBoyceLive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought he would struggle at that level. Thanks anyway.

There's time yet, yes there's been disappointing matches but there was also a glimmer of light in an away game in Perth. Mcshane linked up well and was great in supporting his team mates in creating an space for an out ball, he helped make nice wee triangular passing moves, more of this and he will have a good future ahead of him.

Has McShane actually been disappointing? He didn't have a great game against Hearts (in Dingwall) but neither did Irvine, with Gomis/Buaben keeping both of them quiet. It sounded like he was alright against Celtic, Hamilton, and St. Johnstone.

He needs to adapt to the Premiership but I don't think he would be a significantly worse option in the middle than Woods.

• 4 weeks later...

It struck me that we are halfway through the pre-split fixtures. What do Ross County supporters make of the season so far?

I have to say that I am quite happy. The team started the season well on the whole. They have gained just six points from 21 in October and November, but there were some particularly tricky fixtures during that time.

It's clear to me from the first 16 fixtures that the division's top three are, generally, of a higher level than what County can achieve as a team. I think the next month will better define if County really are a top six side, if not challenge St Johnstone for fourth place (which is theirs to lose IMO). My current opinion is that one of Dundee or ICT will take fifth or sixth, leaving County and Hamilton to try to get the other.

Here are some stats, just from league matches, which I think well reflect the style of play and character of the squad that the management have shaped. I include in brackets figures to include all league fixtures since and including 14/02/15, the first time we saw the current 4-4-2 system:

• Ross County have scored first in 62.5% of their league fixtures this season (66% since Valentine's Day).
  • Where they score first, they have won 60% of league matches this season (70%)
  • They have lost just 10% of games in which they score first (15%)
  • The share of points earned in matches, after conceding the first goal, is 0% for this season (25% since Valentine's)
Edited by bunglebonce

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen the DL squad in action but Miller would have to be pretty good to displace Fraser. Unless Fraser went centre back which seems unlikely.

I agree with Bunglebonce, albeit 2 results later: we are doing pretty well though I would not expect us to catch the top 3, and St J are getting further away from us too. We'll need great consistency to maintain top 6 status.

Edited by Les Westander of County

What a difference a year make eh. A year ago i thought we were doomed for relegation and the possibility of years out with the top division.

Our squad just now is imo the best we have ever had and and we have a trip to hampden for a cup semi final to look forward to, things are certainly looking up.

Well done to all those involved :)