The General Ross County Chat Thread

Just now, Swello said:

The acid test of the Angry Staggies' principles will be when Mackay has them on a decent run in the league or has them pumping ICT in the League Cup.

Have you seen the County squad recently?

I cannot fathom this choice whatsoever, and that includes a footballing view as well.

People will take the piss out of "Uncle Roy" or whatever, but more often than not he has got it right. County's rise in a relatively short period of time shows that. One consistent throughout the whole process has been the community feel to the club, something that is hard to replicate. However as others have said, that feel has definitely started to disappear.

I started watching County in the mid 80s, whilst attending school in Dingwall. It was unusual to see anything else than a white face in the area, nevermind the stadium. Some of the most lazy stereotypical comments I have ever heard have been in The Jailend. I can vividly remember playing Hamilton (perhaps wrong) in the late 90s and they brought on a black player, a few older blokes near us started discussing how we were going to defend somebody with such pace. In their mind, somebody who was black was going to be fast. Unfortunately I can also remember pure racism, no mistake about it, but thankfully a few people self policed the incident(s). The Highlands are a cracking place, but there was definitely an element of the older generation being uneducated in numerous matters that often made me feel very uncomfortable.

I haven't been back to the Highlands for a few years now, but the last time I went I was really pleased to see different groups of people sat beside each other in the ground. In fact I spoke to a Polish lad and his son for most of the game. There was a real feel of a whole community coming together to support the local football team. Even the team itself, has had players of numerous religions and skin colour. Whilst I'm sure there are still more than a handful of people in the stands who would make jokes behind closed doors, or on a text, they obviously feel heavily out numbered at the game. It is dying out.

Employing MM is such a backward step, on and off the pitch. I can see the argument for giving somebody a second chance, but this wasn't a young teenager, or even adult. The guy was in his 40s. It wasn't just one comment, it was several. He's never made a public apology (that I am aware of), the whole thing  stinks.

I paid into the Staggie Army, I bought merchandise (especially last year) to try and help the club out. This decision will cost them my membership, it will cost them season ticket renewals and potential sponsorship. However mostly it is going to cost the club years and years of work making people feel included at the club. 

A complete fucking shambles. 

50 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Would you accept Malky at St Johnstone? Obviously my question is not meant on ability or to replace your current manager, but on him as a person.

No I wouldn’t want him.

However if it came out in the press that Callum Davidson had sent a few ‘inappropriate’ texts to friends then would I demand he got sacked?   I’m not sure if I would is my honest answer.

(As unbelievable as that is, as Davidson comes across as a really good person as well as the best manager in European football).

I would be happy to support this appointment if the club explained the thought process and there was a serious show of public contrition from Mackay.

In the absence of either, I'm away to watch Stenny - who really are a community club.  

Commiserations lads.

Nothing against County as a club or fanbase, but I think the vast majority of Scottish football will hope this appointment goes spectacularly wrong and Malky gets punted before Christmas to never darken the door of Scottish football again.

I'm all for giving people second chances, especially young guys who make stupid mistakes (Declan Gallagher being an example). But with all the anti-racism, anti-homophobia campaigns being pushed just now, this appointment feels horribly ill-timed at best. There is then the question of whether he is even worth it as a manager since his last good spell was nearly 8 years ago.