Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I understand that ET has promised no new taxes if she becomes PM.

The way Tories' minds work, I suspect we will be in for the odd new levy. Or tariff. Or duty. Or toll. Or tribute. Or tithe. Or charge. Or fee. 

Other alternatives are available. 

Couldn’t happen? Remember when Sunak couldn't bring himself to introduce a "windfall tax" on energy producing companies? No, no. Taxes? The end of civilisation as we know it

Instead, we heard of a "temporary, targeted energy profits levy".  

Truss will be on an internet Thesaurus as soon as she is declared the winner. 

57 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

When do Tory MPs start sending through their letters to the 1922 to get rid of th incompetent Truss?

Will DRoss back Boris to replace her?

IfI every tory member follows the example of Ross, this 6 week fiasco will end in a 0 - 0 draw. 

Bizzare to see them go on about this about people who have won a democratic mandate, when it is unlikely they will ever win an election as the leader of their party. That said the number 1 issue to prove their unionism is to resolve the Northern Ireland protocol something which can't be solved by ignoring politicians you don't necessarily agree with.

It's really quite remarkable to hear the total disdain for Scotland that comes from some quarters of the Tory Party. There, in the hustings, there's talk of the "riot" of the SG, how to "suppress"* Nicola Sturgeon, and all met with laughter and hoots. I can only imagine that the ultimate aim is to either suppress* Scotland and bring it into "line" with their world view or, and it wouldn't surprise me, bring about the inability of Holyrood to function with their plan of bypassing it by slowly taking control of areas like road infrastructure as Gove suggested a year or so ago.

It's fair to say that there will be no "love bombing" or " lead don't leave" this time. The only "lead" this time will be the one Westminster try to put around the neck of Scotland.

* Suppress: to put down by authority or force.

15 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

It's really quite remarkable to hear the total disdain for Scotland that comes from some quarters of the Tory Party. There, in the hustings, there's talk of the "riot" of the SG, how to "suppress"* Nicola Sturgeon, and all met with laughter and hoots. I can only imagine that the ultimate aim is to either suppress* Scotland and bring it into "line" with their world view or, and it wouldn't surprise me, bring about the inability of Holyrood to function with their plan of bypassing it by slowly taking control of areas like road infrastructure as Gove suggested a year or so ago.

It's fair to say that there will be no "love bombing" or " lead don't leave" this time. The only "lead" this time will be the one Westminster try to put around the neck of Scotland.

I seem to recall voting for a Scottish Parliament with the powers it was given in a "once in a generation" referendum...

8 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

It is quite remarkable, isn't it? When some folk around here condemn the "goings on" at Westminster and the actions and statements made by the Tory "leadership" and decide that we'd like something more suited to our aspirations, we are treated as anti-English or - what was it the other day - "militant" nationalists. Yet the Tory membership seems to lap it up when the Scottish Government and its leader are openly attacked. 

Does that make the Tories anti-Scottish or militant unionists? 

38 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Does that make the Tories anti-Scottish or militant unionists? 

On current form I think you'd have to say yes to both! But I think it's possible to say that what's unfolding is a collapse of the whole idea of a mindset that is still mired in the belief of a Golden Age where Britannia ruled the waves. There seems to be an inability to recognise the flaws in the UK idea/ideal and that Scotland wants to go in a different direction. Unfortunately the rhetoric and narrative of the Tories towards Scotland seems to be going in the same direction as we saw in the lead up to Brexit. I'm struggling to see (but kinda looking forward to) how Truss and her Cabinet keep discussion with the SG civil.

22 hours ago, doulikefish said:

... she is to busy shedding her lizard skin and finally pegging it 

A quick Google of the "queen pegging it" failed to shed any further light on the matter. 

Even Queenie is pissed off with them,the winner has to go to Balmoral to get anointed either that or she is to busy shedding her lizard skin and finally pegging it 
A quick Google of the "queen pegging it" failed to shed any further light on the matter. 
More likely to return results pertaining to her grandson, allegedly.

13 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Dorries  still  hanging in there? Surely not.

Here is the timeline for tomorrow. They're assuming the Queen doesn't peg it beforehand obviously. 

Tory leadership race results: Hour-by-hour guide to how the new PM will be revealed (msn.com)

He will be ushered into the Drawing Room, where for the first time in history a prime minister will relinquish his role.”

Is it my hangover or am I missing something here?

Just now, Antlion said:

He will be ushered into the Drawing Room, where for the first time in history a prime minister will relinquish his role.”

Is it my hangover or am I missing something here?

I think they mean it's the first time it's happened at Balmoral.