Birth rates / Fertility

Of course finances are going to be a huge factor when you compare the cost of owning a property in relation to wages back in the 80s/90s up to now. There’s always going to be yolo types who don’t fit children into their busy lifestyles for what ever reason but the overall decline is hugely down to expense.

'Open up the housing market'.

This will never happen because it means house prices have to drastically reduce. Those prices are almost certainly never going to reduce. The best folk can hope for is that the prices don't increase as much as quickly.

Also, we've seen a lot of folk saying they can't afford to have kids. We're also seeing though business and their compliant media saying that folk shouldn't have raises, that it's 'greedy', that folk don't deserve a raise, that it hurts 'the economy' and all the other propaganda, all against the backdrop of the price of everything increasing, and increasing more often and quicker.

41 minutes ago, throbber said:

Of course finances are going to be a huge factor when you compare the cost of owning a property in relation to wages back in the 80s/90s up to now. There’s always going to be yolo types who don’t fit children into their busy lifestyles for what ever reason but the overall decline is hugely down to expense.

My grandparents (except 1) were each one of about 8 kids and their material wealth was nothing like what most ordinary people have now. Those kids wouldn't be each in their own bedroom. 

The cost of owning a house is proportionally much the same now as it was in the 80s. The price of the property is only one component. The price of mortgages is much less now. 

But people on average spent less on housing in the 80s because more people rented and rent was much cheaper. 

I don't think the expense has gone up, like for like. 

People's expectations of what they need to provide a child have changed. 

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I think everyone should calm down about absolutely everything. 

I'm on a number 17 bus surrounded by a bunch of hyper primary aged kids. 

You shouldn’t be on your phone when you’re driving Joe.

As I've said previously any talk of a labour shortage in the email economy is ridiculous. Between the huge army of pointless white collar workers, service jobs that don't need to exist and the economically inactive there is a massive reserve of potential productive/essential labour. 

The problem is the ownership and structure of the economy which creates incentives to lower productivity and efficiency. 

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Cheer up. The sun is out. 😃

I doubt I'll ever need to worry about having kids.

Thankfully the sun has been blocked by clouds for most of the afternoon today. Been too hot recently!

Just now, oaksoft said:

"Darling hubby, shall we have unprotected sex tonight?"

"Hang on sweetheart. Let me fire up my spreadsheet and check our post-tax outgoings first".

I assume this script was rejected?

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Not so sure about that.

In 1990 I was paying about 33% of my disposable income on rent.

Is it as bad as that now for most people?

Those in cities on low incomes? Probably yes.

Most people are probably paying less as a percentage though.

Amazing. 

Just incredibly wrong about everything. 

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Of course you'd find a way to complain about the nice weather. 😂

'Nice' is subjective. You probably cry about rain. 

Don't mind warm weather, but it's been far too hot of late (was ok today though).