🦄 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇮🇪 Ireland 🍀 - 24th September

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I’m seeing a load of Irish lads on Twitter saying they’re getting better under Kenny. How shite must they have been before?

I watched them lose at home to Luxembourg. They were appalling. It was like a totally different team in their games against us.

How many yellows were dished out at full time? I know McTominey git himself a suspension and after these 2 matches in midfield he will be missed on Tuesday. 

Mcgregor for me had his worst game in a scotland shirt and made a fucking mess of defending for the goal.

Our new found habit of burning through full backs is an interesting tactic, hopefully Tierney was just a precaution and he hasn't suffered any serious injury.

Ireland are a bunch of hammer throwers and a fucking horrible team to watch, that said we were pish last night and first half was a struggle. Don't know what Clarke does at half time but that's 2 games in a row where we've come out and got goals after the break and raised it a level. 

8 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Agreed, adams movement pace and touch just offers us so much more than dykes. The difference he makes to the team is absolutely massive.

We were a bit fortunate to get away with that tonight. And adams getting the rest will hopefully mean he's flying for ukraine on Tuesday.

Adams can run them into the ground and Dykes can come on and finish them off again at the end hopefully.

For me the most important thing Adams brings is pace, the side that started last night has to be one of the slowest we've ever had, there isn't one player who you would say is particularly quick. His pace means that teams think twice about pressing high up the pitch. When he plays teams will sit that bit deeper which allows our midfield and Armstrong/Christie to play in the space created. When Dykes plays teams can press as high as they want because we have zero threat in behind which means we get stuck in our own half and the only option is the long ball to Dykes who is barely in the opposition half.

If we had a couple of rapid wide players who ran in behind then I don't think the striker would matter so much, but you've got to give the opposition something to worry about with balls over the top, not just because you can score from that but because it gains you territory and control by teams sitting a bit deeper. 

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

I think the Ireland performance is being over praised. They weren't technically better, better organised or more effective than Scotland. They got a scrappy goal after sloppy Scotland play handed them a counter attacking opportunity and a corner. They had a second similar counter at 1-1 and couldn't score. Other than that they created next to nothing despite all that pace they supposedly had.

Scotland dominated the ball, particularly in the last hour. They created enough chances to win and more besides. They also played a game a few days previous while Ireland were getting massages and resting up.

I don't think you can ask Che Adams to do what he did against Ukraine three times in a week so it made sense to go with Dykes for this one.

6 minutes ago, pub car king said:

How many yellows were dished out at full time? I know McTominey git himself a suspension and after these 2 matches in midfield he will be missed on Tuesday. 

Mcgregor for me had his worst game in a scotland shirt and made a fucking mess of defending for the goal.

Our new found habit of burning through full backs is an interesting tactic, hopefully Tierney was just a precaution and he hasn't suffered any serious injury.

Ireland are a bunch of hammer throwers and a fucking horrible team to watch, that said we were pish last night and first half was a struggle. Don't know what Clarke does at half time but that's 2 games in a row where we've come out and got goals after the break and raised it a level. 

Tierney was saying he was fine when they were subbing him. Doctors probably being careful in case he had a concussion. Would expect him to play on Tuesday.

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

I think the Ireland performance is being over praised.

Who is praising it other than the usual arseholes? they got a lucky break for their goal then proceeded to park the bus and boot anything that moved, they were pish.

Just now, Empty It said:

Who is praising it other than the usual arseholes? they got a lucky break for their goal then proceeded to park the bus and boot anything that moved, they were pish.

Yeah the usual guys on the telly, radio and in the papers. Your analysis is far more accurate than theirs.

11 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Hopefully it'll stop the cosy love-in some have with Ireland. 

It wont, it never will. Brainwashed, indoctrinated, whitaboot little arseholes who somehow believe they are sticking it to The Man whilst ignoring the fact their vile institution IS The Man.

Opinions and arseholes, eh? Much consensus and a few dissenting voices. I thought for much of the game Ireland looked slicker and more technically competent than we did, and that they probably deserved a draw. Now that we have got the result, we can afford to have a more objective and patronising assessment. I recall Ireland's keeper having only one save to make (from Fraser) and Gordon having much more to do.  That was partly because we have not got the technical ability to play out from the back. Our centre backs have to lumber and crank themselves in to position to play a simple pass-back to a goalkeeper who can't kick rather than try a more ambitious pass or bring the ball forward themselves. This leads on to one of the most highlighted problems. If Gordon can't kick well, why play so many back-passes (often to his right foot); this happened constantly in the earlier stages of the match.
I didn't think the Irish team was particularly agricultural, or dirty, or hammer-throwing cloggers. But then I didn't think Gary Breen came over like a 'fan with a typewriter' either and his comments were mostly even handed. Finally, whilst not being exposed to Michael Stewart's musings to the extent most contributors appear to be, I think he is at least as insightful as any of our usual commentators/pundits, and better than most. Now, let's kick their arses at a hybrid shinty/hurling contest.

In no world were Ireland more technically competent than us. They played through our press a couple of times, but on the whole it was long ball up and at 'em stuff that got them any of their chances. Our players were miles ahead of them on the ball, some of the passing moves we had were superb.

I'm not sure what these things you thought Gordon had to do were - he conceded a goal and made one brilliant save one-on-one, those were the only meaningful saves he made, the rest were long range shots trickling through to him.

As for why we kept passing the ball out from the back, did you see the game on Wednesday night? You can't rave about a high-energy, dominant performance in one game if you don't accept the key building blocks that let it happen. You press hard and sometimes teams get through, you take risks in possession and sometimes you get punished, but when it comes off you look absolutely sensational. Sometimes we'll probably end up with a bloody nose, but in general in gets the best out of a lot of our players.

It wont, it never will. Brainwashed, indoctrinated, whitaboot little arseholes who somehow believe they are sticking it to The Man whilst ignoring the fact their vile institution IS The Man.

I'm not really sure what vile institution you're referring to here, because it's certainly not just Celtic fans who feel more kinship with Ireland than with the rest of the UK.

26 minutes ago, Empty It said:

That’s all they do against everyone. Try and nick a goal from a set piece  then just try and disrupt the flow of the game by constantly giving away fouls which allows them to get back into their shape and get organised. Any decent team can counter that and thankfully we did last night.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not really sure what vile institution you're referring to here, because it's certainly not just Celtic fans who feel more kinship with Ireland than with the rest of the UK.

I am referring to the board of that club, that club is a vile institution that encourages their behaviour to maximise their personal profit. Tory as f**k. Take a day off from being Mr Logic ffs.

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

I see Gordon had to stay up all night the previous evening as his wife delivered the baby. Certainly explains the quality of his distribution last night, some of his kicking was woeful!

Doesn't explain his bad kicking in all the other games he's played though.

I watched Kennys RTE interview last night, he seems deluded and thought that his team deserved to win (which I cant see that any objective commentator would think).

Also referred to the "disallowed goal" they had in the first half............as if it was in some way contentious.

Also dribbling on about the penalty - his view must have been badly obstructed,  if his version of events was close to the truth.

A man under pressure, imo

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

For me the most important thing Adams brings is pace, the side that started last night has to be one of the slowest we've ever had, there isn't one player who you would say is particularly quick. His pace means that teams think twice about pressing high up the pitch. When he plays teams will sit that bit deeper which allows our midfield and Armstrong/Christie to play in the space created. When Dykes plays teams can press as high as they want because we have zero threat in behind which means we get stuck in our own half and the only option is the long ball to Dykes who is barely in the opposition half.

If we had a couple of rapid wide players who ran in behind then I don't think the striker would matter so much, but you've got to give the opposition something to worry about with balls over the top, not just because you can score from that but because it gains you territory and control by teams sitting a bit deeper. 

There is almost a case for having 2 different set ups for attack just like we have in defence depending on personnel.

We can have a 4 or 5 at the back depending on the availability of Tierney and Robertson. 

Equally we can have Adams as a forward with a midfield behind him. Or Dykes with 2 wingers/fast players to compliment him. 

We just don't have that elusive striker who scores at will so we have to work systems to ma imise what we have. For me Adams is the better footballer by a distance, that said Dykes is effective in his own way due to effort and generally being a niggly player.