36 years, how much longer?

If a foreign consortium or individual wanted a Scottish club because of this ‘easy’ path to the Champions League, where were they hiding when Oldco were sold for a quid?

It would be interesting to see how much Rangers have spent in the past decade since they went bust. They’ve gone from the 3rd Division to Scottish champions, Europa League runners up and one game away from the Champions League group stage.

On 16/08/2022 at 19:40, Dunfermline Don said:

I am exactly the same myself.

In my younger days I would rarely miss a game home or away.

However I find it hard to get the enthusiasm and in the current financial climate the justification to spend money travelling from Fife for a game. I am however in the lucky work position that I support an autistic guy who also follows  the Dons and I get to take him to a couple of games a season. But apart from that I can’t remember when I paid to go to a league match at Pittodrie, any other recent visits have been cup games or European matches when prices have been reduced. 

This weekend I will be taking in the Kelty v Pars game as it’s only £18. 

£18 for a league 1 game, or £24 for a premiership game (we are away to St J). You reckon the former is a better deal than the latter?

Sure St J also do a ticket deal if you are taking a child it’s only £1 more in the parent child stand.

Pretty poor example of pricing complaints and your game choices in my opinion.

10 hours ago, big al said:

£18 for a league 1 game, or £24 for a premiership game (we are away to St J). You reckon the former is a better deal than the latter?

Sure St J also do a ticket deal if you are taking a child it’s only £1 more in the parent child stand.

Pretty poor example of pricing complaints and your game choices in my opinion.

I was more having a go at the costs of going up to Aberdeen for a match.

Added to the fact that my kids have chosen to support their local team, so the short trip to Kelty had more appeal this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Added to the fact that my kids have chosen to support their local team, so the short trip to Kelty had more appeal this weekend. 

7B bus for Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Good on yer kids for not falling into the old firm trap. Enjoy the fife derby.

On 16/08/2022 at 06:13, energyzone said:

If given the chance to join the English league system, would you take it?

Both our two biggest clubs would comfortably be in the top 4/5 biggest in the UK if given the opportunity. I'm not sure the same could be said about Rosenberg or any Dutch team other than perhaps Ajax. The scale of the difference in size between clubs 1/2 and 3 in this country is astronomical.

Absolutely not.  We're a Scottish club.

On 16/08/2022 at 18:32, DA Baracus said:

Nah, that's simply not the case. Would need to be much, much more than a 'few million'.

For every few million they spend, we'll get a credit line for a few million more!

On 17/08/2022 at 07:47, Monkey Tennis said:

Exactly.  It's not at all desirable.

Their fans might bleat about the use of the term, but we already have two doped clubs as far as I'm concerned.  We need to lose them, not find a new one to add.

It would be like complaining about weightlifters using steroids and then announcing that our solution to this is finding a morally 'good' weightlifter, who has promised that they will only use their steroids to beat the other two steroid users. I'd rather just get the steroids out.

On 17/08/2022 at 09:05, ahemps said:

It's a fair point and I'll respectfully disagree slightly. We seem to think that European cup football is the biggest draw but I don't know if it really is to the rest of the world. OF fans say this when they lose players to Southampton that they wont win anything and they wont play in Europe but the EPL is the big draw and only the CL comes close. The drop off into the Europa isn't still a big draw, for example without looking it up can you tell me the name of the 2nd tier competition in South America? Most football fans know the Copa Libertadores but what is the 2nd one and who won it last season?

Being owner of Aston Villa, an EPL team has more status than a club who wins things in a provincial league like ours. The attraction of owning and being part of the EPL trumps being the owner of Rangers or Zagreb, Olympiakos etc. A billionaire wants status so buying Hearts and winning the league in Scotland is less appealing than owning Fulham or Brentford as these teams get to play Liverpool, Man Utd, City, Chelsea etc. most weeks without the gamble of qualifying for CL groups to only get 4 games against similar sized clubs.

Also to win our league you would need over £100m to beat the OF. They pay around £50m in wages and then you'd need to buy more than 11 players around values of around £5m and that is just to be level with them, you'd need closer to £150m to put yourself as the favourite. 

I'm not saying it doesn't appeal to anyone at all but when American owners are buying Burnley, Malaysians are buying Cardiff, Indians buying Blackburn and Saudis buying Sheff Utd yet nobody without a Scottish link has even enquired about our clubs it goes to show that they are not really interested.

Sorry , not buying it at all, Southampton can pay 2, 3 or 4 times the wages the either of the old firm can offer. the very best players can afford to be picky about who they play for and where and what they win but thats it.

if you pay the wages, they will come. Hearts don't need mbappe or haaland to win the Scottish premiership.

None of this sugar daddy talk  matters tho becuase it's so unlikely in reality it may as well be a prayer, for a start, such a thing would not be allowed under FFP.  In England, there is potential for clubs to get a return on their massive investment, not only due to the large tv money on offer but also the over inflated transfer fee's that they can command for players that our clubs simply cannot.

Sugar daddy driven hearts would need to go all the way and win the champions league in order to make back the transfer fees and wages required just to win the premiership alone

If it is to happen in real life, it's either going to be an alignment of the stars - we could be waiting a while

or , more likely ( for a team to win at least) it will take a complete top to bottom overhaul of football contracts, squad sizes, transfers and wages that is deliberately designed to reduce the gap in strength between the top end teams and the bottom, a Bosman on steroids if you like.  again we might be waiting a while 

Aye, they had to suffer, what, 5/6 seasons without a trophy? How did they cope?
They still won most weeks and won the lower league trophies.

If they joined the EPL they'd have to get used to having a ticket allocation of ~3k and being in the vast minority at every away game.
They'd also have exponentially less sway/influence on the authorities etc.
As has been mentioned crowds/prestige don't guarantee success.
Liverpool, by a distance one of the 2 biggest clubs in the country, were also-rans in the League for about 30 years.

Even if lost all 6 games and didn't drop into EL...

... for playing CL groupstage OF will - from UEFA prize funds and ticket sales - 
each receive monies larger than last season's entire SPFL league prize fund.

EDIT: They'll receive more for 1 minute of CL group play than SPFL2 clubs receive all year.

Winning a single match is worth more than finishing runners-up in Scottish Premiership.

Edited by HibeeJibee

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Even if lost all 6 games and didn't drop into EL...

... for playing CL groupstage OF will - from UEFA prize funds and ticket sales - 
each receive monies larger than last season's entire SPFL league prize fund.

EDIT: They'll receive more for 1 minute of CL group play than SPFL2 clubs receive all year.

Winning a single match is worth more than finishing runners-up in Scottish Premiership.

It really is utterly absurd that such injustice is tolerated in our game.

It's a miracle the rest of us bother with it.  Perhaps we shouldn't.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really is utterly absurd that such injustice is tolerated in our game.

It's a miracle the rest of us bother with it.  Perhaps we shouldn't.

During the 3 seconds it takes for referees to blow FT in CL group games, they'll earn more than is paid for a televised Scottish Cup tie (before R4).

On 24/07/2022 at 12:11, johnnydun said:

Yes, but how do we decide on which team wins the title?

I certainly don't want your mob to be given 3-0 wins from every other club outside the OF.

Who is the most inoffensive Scottish team to all other teams that could be worthy of the title?

Got to be St.Mirren even Heart's have a soft spot for us  :rolleyes: