Deposit Return Recycling Scheme

NorthernLights

2 hours ago, orfc said:

Sounds like Useless is thinking of booting Fergus Ewing for voting against her

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23603747.fergus-ewing-set-lose-party-whip-vote-lorna-slater/

Shouldn't it be the dozy bint who made a complete arse cake of the policy who suffers the consequences for it, or is that just me?

You and a few million others.

18 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Doesn’t seem particularly harsh tbh. 

Just now, orfc said:

Yes. Actually. Totally. Completely.

Each to their own.

I'm not at all sure where fair comment ceases and misogyny infects.

I do know a pile on when I see one though and aligning with Fergus when he goes full blue is a look to be avoided.

Just now, sophia said:

Each to their own.

I do know a pile on when I see one though and aligning with Fergus when he goes full blue is a look to be avoided.

It’s not misogyny. She’s been a dozy bint. If it had been her (roughly speaking) predecessor Ben McPherson that had made such a rip roaring mess of it, he’d have been described (quite rightly imho) as a dozy c**t. Where’s the difference? 

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

It’s not misogyny. She’s been a dozy bint. If it had been her (roughly speaking) predecessor Ben McPherson that had made such a rip roaring mess of it, he’d have been described (quite rightly imho) as a dozy c**t. Where’s the difference? 

It is

There is 

11 minutes ago, sophia said:

Each to their own.

Oh, another nationalist who isn't a true nationalist for not agreeing unthinkingly with the hive?

Given Circularity Scotland said the scheme was viable without glass then its hard for Lorna Slater to credibly blame anyone else. She is the minister concerned and should really have fallen on her sword for this debacle.

Instead, it's all the big bad torries fault for refusing to give an internal market exemption for glass. Hopefully, enough can see throw that particularly poor smoke screen. Lorna Slater isn't up to it, as least Partick Harvie keeps a low profile in keeping with his junior ministerial post.

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Given Circularity Scotland said the scheme was viable without glass then its hard for Lorna Slater to credibly blame anyone else. She is the minister concerned and should really have fallen on her sword for this debacle.

Instead, it's all the big bad torries fault for refusing to give an internal market exemption for glass. Hopefully, enough can see throw that particularly poor smoke screen. Lorna Slater isn't up to it, as least Partick Harvie keeps a low profile in keeping with his junior ministerial post.

They would say that, wouldn't they.

The Tories are playing a blinder and I'm not surprised that the hard of thinking have fallen for Tory spin

Edited by sophia

22 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The issue here is that it is England that is the outlier.  When a DRS policy was discussed between the nations, glass was included.  England who are years behind us the changed their mind and are now enforcing this on everyone using a bill that they claimed at the time was not about controlling the devolved governments.

Scotland has done nothing wrong.  As for CSL, they would have claimed it could still work if Westminster had limited it to 500ml bottles of Irn Bru Xtra.

32 minutes ago, sophia said:

They would say that, wouldn't they.

The Tories are playing a blinder and I'm not surprised that the hard of thinking have fallen for Tory spin

Certainly describes Laura

She's naive if it was a cunning Tory plan

I go by Hanlon's Razor though: "Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence"

So obviously the only SNP MSP willing to point this out should be punished 🙂

19 minutes ago, strichener said:

The issue here is that it is England that is the outlier.  When a DRS policy was discussed between the nations, glass was included.  England who are years behind us the changed their mind and are now enforcing this on everyone using a bill that they claimed at the time was not about controlling the devolved governments.

Scotland has done nothing wrong.  As for CSL, they would have claimed it could still work if Westminster had limited it to 500ml bottles of Irn Bru Xtra.

I've made the point before on this thread, Norway have DRS without glass. Its possible.

Moreover, why wait until 2023 to apply for the internal market exemption? It could have been done two/three years ago.

The Scottish Government have badly misplayed their hand. In order to get it done first.

I challenge the whole concept of a deposit return scheme in any case when we have kerbside recycling. The business model propagated by Circularity Scotland and endorsed by the Scottish Government was based on millions of non-refunded deposits. Where would these non-refunded deposits come from? The elderly, disabled and the poor seems likely. Namely, those who can't easily get to the machines to recycle their bottles. This has never been the silver bullet that the SG proposed.

The whole concept was poorly thought through and I'm glad it's been binned. Blaming it solely on the big bad Tories is for the oxygen thiefs it is so vacuous it is untrue.

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I've made the point before on this thread, Norway have DRS without glass. Its possible.

Moreover, why wait until 2023 to apply for the internal market exemption? It could have been done two/three years ago.

The Scottish Government have badly misplayed their hand. In order to get it done first.

I challenge the whole concept of a deposit return scheme in any case when we have kerbside recycling. The business model propagated by Circularity Scotland and endorsed by the Scottish Government was based on millions of non-refunded deposits. Where would these non-refunded deposits come from? The elderly, disabled and the poor seems likely. Namely, those who can't easily get to the machines to recycle their bottles. This has never been the silver bullet that the SG proposed.

The whole concept was poorly thought through and I'm glad it's been binned. Blaming it solely on the big bad Tories is for the oxygen thiefs it is so vacuous it is untrue.

That isn't working though but for small Tories that don't much care, that's ok

9 minutes ago, sophia said:

Works fine for me. Have you tried putting the box out on the right day? Or is that a Tory trick? 🙂

5 minutes ago, sophia said:

Aye, much better to waste 3 years and tens of millions of pounds on a new scheme and then defer it for 2 years.

If only some of those resources could have been spent on improving the much maligned kerbside recycling. Rather than pursuing a supposed silver bullet! 🤦‍♂️

Damn those evil Tories though!

7 hours ago, orfc said:

Works fine for me. Have you tried putting the box out on the right day? Or is that a Tory trick? 🙂

There's the hallmark of a Tory right there.

Not everyone gets kerbside collections but as long as you're alright.

8 hours ago, orfc said:

Certainly describes Laura

She's naive if it was a cunning Tory plan

I go by Hanlon's Razor though: "Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence"

So obviously the only SNP MSP willing to point this out should be punished 🙂

Who’s Laura? Hard of thinking, eh?