Deposit Return Recycling Scheme

NorthernLights

9 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I think there can be female wankers too. My mate says he’s seen a movie…

I'm aware of this rumour but I've never heard of a woman being called a w****r. Maybe only if she was actually performing the fabled act could it be considered correct usage.

3 hours ago, BTFD said:

I really like the idea of there being a specifically male c**t though.

I know, gender meltdown thread for this pish.

I like the fact that c**t can be positive, negative or neutral depending on the context and tone.

He’s a c**t - negative. He’s a guid c**t - positive.  He’s a total c**t - negative. I know that c**t - generally neutral but watch out for tone.

What happens with this bottle return scheme now?

I didn’t really get it. I recycle already by taking bottles to a bottle bank and I recycle cans in the green bin. Was this just going to give me a token amount back for being a good c**t? Or were they going to up the price, to allow for refunds?

This government are still about until 2026, is that right?

10 hours ago, Eednud said:

It is in Qatar.

Sheikh Tamim in 2020
Emir of Qatar
Reign 25 June 2013 – present
Predecessor Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani
Deputy Emir Abdullah bin Hamad Al Thani
Prime Minister Abdullah bin Nasser
Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdul Aziz
Mohammed bin Abdulrahman

Born 3 June 1980 (age 43)
Doha, Qatar
Spouse
  •  

(m. 2005)
  •  

(m. 2009)
  •  

(m. 2014)
Issue
Detail
  • Sheikha Al Mayassa
  • Sheikh Hamad
  • Sheikha Aisha
  • Sheikha Naylah
  • Sheikh Jassim
  • Sheikh Abdullah
  • Sheikha Rodha
  • Sheikh Joaan
  • Sheikh Alqaqaa
  • Sheikh Mohammed
  • Sheikha Moza
  • Sheikh Fahad
  • Sheikha Hind

That's it being used properly ie "daughter of" in Arabic. Unsure how an everyday Arabic word became a slang / derogatory word in English, anyone able to enlighten us ?

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

That's it being used properly ie "daughter of" in Arabic. Unsure how an everyday Arabic word became a slang / derogatory word in English, anyone able to enlighten us ?

After me starting this whole culdesac I actually went away to check with mr Google. My findings were sufficiently interesting to have forgotten most of it but it seems it was the Brits in Egypt (I think) that heard the Arabic term ‘bint’ referring to her indoors and repatriated it here. 

Edited by alta-pete

41 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

After me starting this whole culdesac I actually went away to check with mr Google. My findings were sufficiently interesting to have forgotten most of it but it seems it was the Brits in Egypt (I think) that heard the Arabic term ‘bint’ referring to her indoors and repatriated it here. 

I wonder if any Egyptian or Arabic men have adopted 'her indoors'? 

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

What happens with this bottle return scheme now?

I didn’t really get it. I recycle already by taking bottles to a bottle bank and I recycle cans in the green bin. Was this just going to give me a token amount back for being a good c**t? Or were they going to up the price, to allow for refunds?

This government are still about until 2026, is that right?

Recycling is a joke at the moment, the mixed bin collections are usually so contaminated that there's no value in separating so it ends up on a beach in West Africa or a bonfire in Asia. Most glass probably goes in landfill. It was a brave if ill thought plan to improve things, including litter. Progress will only happen now when a Westminster Government wants to go at least as far as a Welsh or Scottish Government. 

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Recycling is a joke at the moment, the mixed bin collections are usually so contaminated that there's no value in separating so it ends up on a beach in West Africa or a bonfire in Asia. Most glass probably goes in landfill. It was a brave if ill thought plan to improve things, including litter. Progress will only happen now when a Westminster Government wants to go at least as far as a Welsh or Scottish Government. 

So they’ve made a c**t of the previous recycling schemes too. That is disappointing.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The big communal bins are worst for this. My personal recycling is pristine because I am an upstanding member of society, but if I go along to the big recycling point at the supermarket I can see some tosspot has shoved a dismantled MDF cabinet in the paper and cardboard recycling. Instant death should be the punishment. I can understand people who leave tellies and stuff next to the recycling bins, because they're keeping it separate and they're at least sort of thinking a magical recycling man will know what to do with it then.

There was a trial in wales of kerbside DRS - you scanned your empties and the council truck that took them scanned them too, and if you got a match you got your pennies back or something. The trouble with this DRS scheme was you'd have to drag it all to the supermarket, and then put them one at a time into a machine. THink about it, in a supermarket there's 10 tills on the go, and you can buy a 12 pack of beer/pop at a go. On the return end you've got 1 or 2 machines that take 1 item at a time, it's a 100x differential in the pop download and upload stakes, you'd be standing in line for an hour trying to return them.

4 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I might be wrong, I often am, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the lead story on bbc Scotland news tonight was about alcohol prices rising again.

The recycling thing was always just an alcohol tax until it backfired. 

Political parties of all hues in Scotland, as well as our media, absolutely love pontificating about Scotland's apparently uniquely terrible relationship with alcohol. It's something you just don't seem to get in England to the same extent.

Shopkeeper has won a legal action today against Circularity Scotland (now in admin) and the Scottish Government over imposing single blanket fee for shops handling & returning bottles.

They had set a single uniform fee based on the average cost to the entire market.

Judgement concluded CS do not have this statutory power - plus even if they did, having an effective monopoly, they must let shops charge their actual cost: otherwise it helps big firms (whose economies of scale will bring cost in below average) and harm small + rural shops (whose cost will be above average).

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Former Circularity Scotland workers lodge compensation claim

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66221570?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Can only assume this is just the start of a lot of compensation claims around the DRS.

I doubt they will get very far with this.

When a company is in  administration there tends to be no formal employee redundancy consultation process, even for larger businesses.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, TxRover said:

Apparently thinking too small…this is how you scam the recycling…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/07/27/recycling-fraud-scheme-california/70475539007/

…$7.6 million dollars, or between 76 and 162 million containers.

How long did it take to feed them into the machine outside the supermarket?

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

Apparently thinking too small…this is how you scam the recycling…

How not to scam the recycling system.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-29/south-australias-seinfeld-container-deposit-plot-foiled/9924002

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-13/epa-seizes-cans-and-bottles-in-willaston/9990908

12 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Kinky will be raging he never thought of the Man In Eyemouth ripping off the DRS when visiting his Sister in Berwick. If he could have got his cans through the armed border guards.