Deposit Return Recycling Scheme

NorthernLights

Just now, sophia said:

It's not at like those things and you know it.

It's exactly the same Rees-Mogg. Your argument is "why should I pay for something that's for the common good (recycling, here) when I don't use it at all /at much"

The council collection is the most cost effective way of doing it anyways. Rather than hundreds of thousands of people dragging their bottles and cans to the supermarket, a few lorries pick them up along with the other recycling stuff.

Just now, orfc said:

It's exactly the same Rees-Mogg. Your argument is "why should I pay for something that's for the common good (recycling, here) when I don't use it at all /at much"

The council collection is the most cost effective way of doing it anyways. Rather than hundreds of thousands of people dragging their bottles and cans to the supermarket, a few lorries pick them up along with the other recycling stuff.

You appear to be name-calling and what would you think that is a sure sign of?

The only people being mildly inconvenienced are those that consume with energy intensive materials derived from oil so although we'll have to disagree, I'll be happy to that you might be thinking twice about your consumption in the future.

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

You appear to be name-calling and what would you think that is a sure sign of?

The only people being mildly inconvenienced are those that consume with energy intensive materials derived from oil so although we'll have to disagree, I'll be happy to that you might be thinking twice about your consumption in the future.

Well If you don't want to be called a tory don't try and argue against the supply and use of universal services because that's what tories do. I take it you're against insurance too as some people just claim and others pay in and get nothing, it's communism I tell you 🙂

PS Glass and metal are made from oil? Even if they're made with energy from oil, the point of recycling is the energy use further on is less. You've arsed this argument up all ends.

9 minutes ago, orfc said:

Well If you don't want to be called a tory don't try and argue against the supply and use of universal services because that's what tories do. I take it you're against insurance too as some people just claim and others pay in and get nothing, it's communism I tell you 🙂

PS Glass and metal are made from oil? Even if they're made with energy from oil, the point of recycling is the energy use further on is less. You've arsed this argument up all ends.

The supply and use of universal services?

It's more akin to road tax. I wouldn't suggest that it should be mutualised.

Your consumption is your own regard and I wish you good luck with that.

3 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Lidl have planning permission to build one in Dingwall.

It's a start, but you get my point. There are a lot of rural areas of Scotland that people will need to drive from to do their recycling. Kinda defeats the purpose a bit at the moment, but they do have to get it off the ground somehow, but a 50 mile round trip to reclaim £3 in empies won't work.

I have no idea where the nearest one to me is, or is planned at the moment.

Just now, sophia said:

Similarly, good luck with your parallel campaign to make people take their dog's shit away somewhere privately as the council apparently shouldn't be supplying bins for it out of shared council tax funds 🙂

2 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

It's a start, but you get my point. There are a lot of rural areas of Scotland that people will need to drive from to do their recycling. Kinda defeats the purpose a bit at the moment, but they do have to get it off the ground somehow, but a 50 mile round trip to reclaim £3 in empies won't work.

I have no idea where the nearest one to me is, or is planned at the moment.

Nobody will undertake such a journey just for recycling. The activity would take place at the same time as the big shop just as it is at the moment for items that the Highland council don't pick up kerbside.

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

Nobody will undertake such a journey just for recycling. The activity would take place at the same time as the big shop just as it is at the moment for items that the Highland council don't pick up kerbside.

I am only playing Devil's advocate here, because essentially it is a good idea, but how many people who buy a carry out at the weekend, or drink Red Bull by the case actually do the big shop every week?

I am pretty glad this is being shelved.

I already recycle glass (todays blue bin was full, its been a good couple of weeks on the sauce !) but bottles are fucking heavy and I cant really see auld wifies (like my mum) taking a bag of empties up to Morrisons to get a few quid back.

Actually, I could see my mum doing it as she drives - but what about punters with no motor? Seems a bit unfair.

It seems an expensive sledgehammer to crack a nut.

9 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I am only playing Devil's advocate here, because essentially it is a good idea, but how many people who buy a carry out at the weekend, or drink Red Bull by the case actually do the big shop every week?

They still go to the shop to get the carry out / case of Red Bull. You don’t need a “big shop” to take the cans back. 

Edited by Wee Bully

On 18/08/2022 at 10:55, Jambomo said:

No, you are spectacularly reaching for a reason to be annoyed about a very efficient scheme which is successfully in place in many countries.

Believe me, I have been that poor person in society, with the chaotic life. I understand perfectly what you go through and thing that cause additional hardships, this isn’t going to be one of them.

Can relate and agree here.  

10 hours ago, sophia said:

And if you have your shopping delivered?

11 hours ago, sophia said:

Why should others that don't consume as much as you pay the same as you and why should you pay more for what you don't consume?

That's very Tory. 

Just now, itzdrk said:

That's very Tory. 

It’s the same kind of argument some people with no kids have towards paying full council tax on property as why should they fund schools. 

They likely also have a kindle and buy their books direct from Amazon so why should they fund libraries?

10 hours ago, sophia said:

Road Tax was binned in the 1930s btw 

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Then I will bet you that the delivery company will take your cans away for a fee. 

We already recycle as much as we can, via the Council kerbside collection schemes, but will be hit by the 'not going to the shops much' issue as we get most of our shopping delivered. 

It would be good if the home delivery companies DID take away the empties and pay back the deposit, but I've not heard that aspect mentioned in any coverage of the new scheme. I suppose there's time yet, but I think increasing the costs for the companies won't go down well, as the companies' additional costs will presumably be spread across all customers whether they use the return scheme or not. 

No compelling case has been made by clownshoe Slater for why we should not simply continue and expand existing kerbside/local collection facilities, rather than implementing from scratch a nonsense deposit scheme 'because Germany' and giving cushy posts and six figure salaries to the nonsense organisation to process that scheme. We already have 80% of the infrastructure in place - just fucking complete and fund that properly instead.