Deposit Return Recycling Scheme

NorthernLights

On 16/08/2022 at 18:55, Jambomo said:

Why would they not see the money back though? They would get it back if they take the bottles to the supermarket. I’d get it if they had to go far to reclaim the cash but in other countries there’s usually plenty of shops or machines around, so nobody has to travel very far with it.

Some of the poorest in our society have such chaotic lives that they can’t even sort the recycling they have at the moment.

You are spectacularly naive to think these people will get their deposits back and not in fact end up paying 20p extra in the end for a can / bottle of juice.

23 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Some of the poorest in our society have such chaotic lives that they can’t even sort the recycling they have at the moment.

You are spectacularly naive to think these people will get their deposits back and not in fact end up paying 20p extra in the end for a can / bottle of juice.

No, you are spectacularly reaching for a reason to be annoyed about a very efficient scheme which is successfully in place in many countries.

Believe me, I have been that poor person in society, with the chaotic life. I understand perfectly what you go through and thing that cause additional hardships, this isn’t going to be one of them.

Edited by Jambomo

• 8 months later...

Im for the policy, I think its a good idea if it more sustainable. In other countries I have seen it working well and not heard a complaint. Im kind of not understanding why it cant work here like it does in many european  countries. I presume something is different in how it is set-up but not sure? Can anyone explain?

Basically all my cans and bottles get picked up by Edinburgh council's kerbside recycling, and a lot of other places do this too

So if this were to go ahead I either have to take a hit on all the drinks I buy, or expend CO2 / mYvaLuABleTiMe dragging them back to the shop and slowly feeding them into a machine - which given the state of the other recycling facilities at my local supermarket is likely to be broke or full anyways 😕

This is a solution looking for a problem that's already solved imo

2 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Im for the policy, I think its a good idea if it more sustainable. In other countries I have seen it working well and not heard a complaint. Im kind of not understanding why it cant work here like it does in many european  countries. I presume something is different in how it is set-up but not sure? Can anyone explain?

There appears to be a few issues with the scheme. One large hurdle is that the whole of the UK needs to move onto this at the same time and adopt the same scheme. Manufacturers might change a product for the whole of the Uk but not for an individual country.

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

There appears to be a few issues with the scheme. One large hurdle is that the whole of the UK needs to move onto this at the same time and adopt the same scheme. Manufacturers might change a product for the whole of the Uk but not for an individual country.

Another difficulty is that small-ish shops in rural locations are quite unlikely to have the physical space and the resources to store a load of returned plastic bottles/cans/glasses, especially if pick-up is only 1 or 2 times per week.

Your point about UK internal market rings true as well - I had already began to stock up on my fave English craft beers as likely they wouldn't deliver the special edition/niche cans to Scotland post DRS launch. I'll just need to drink them now.

Successful DRS schemes, Germany for instance, were launched against a backdrop of no kerbside recycling, so they massively increased recycling rates there. But with kerbside recycling already in place in Scotland and relatively successful, I don't think DRS as envisaged would be that effective in increasing existing recycling rates.

Now if only the Greens had suggested melting down all the plastic bottles and cans to fill in the potholes that now blight every road in Scotland.

Naw. They wanted to see you standing there feeding in your purchases to an irn bru bottle puggy machine just so you are not getting shafted when you originally buy the stuff at the till.

Arseholes.

4 hours ago, orfc said:

Basically all my cans and bottles get picked up by Edinburgh council's kerbside recycling, and a lot of other places do this too

So if this were to go ahead I either have to take a hit on all the drinks I buy, or expend CO2 / mYvaLuABleTiMe dragging them back to the shop and slowly feeding them into a machine - which given the state of the other recycling facilities at my local supermarket is likely to be broke or full anyways 😕

This is a solution looking for a problem that's already solved imo

That's the whole point of it.

Why should others pay for your consumption?

Just now, sophia said:

Why should others that don't consume as much as you pay the same as you and why should you pay more for what you don't consume?

They don't pay the same as me, council tax is banded

If you're going down the "why should I pay for something I don't use" route, you can say the same about education, health, prisons etc, it's a very tory way of looking at things. I prefer to believe in the common good though. 🙂

1 minute ago, orfc said:

They don't pay the same as me, council tax is banded

If you're going down the "why should I pay for something I don't use" route, you can say the same about education, health, prisons etc, it's a very tory way of looking at things. I prefer to believe in the common good though. 🙂

It's not at like those things and you know it.