Things You Learned Today

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
41 minutes ago, RawB93 said:
Just learned how to pronounce Niamh.
Finding it pretty hard to beliamh.

Wait until you discover Saorise.

Is that Sor-sha?

Also within the last year discovered Siobhan is actually what I had assumed was Chevonne... I did wonder why I didn't see the name come up often.

OK, I didn't learn this today but it's interesting.

Anybody ever have Nike Air trainers? The bubble in Nike Air trainers was composed of two gasses to keep the units inflated: hexafluoroethane (Freon 116) and sulphur hexafluoride (SF6). Both are large-molecule gasses that are stable and nonflammable, making them well suited for the job at hand. In 1989, Nike went all in on SF6 and used it exclusively. The problem is, both gasses are hugely damaging to the environment. 

Hexafluorethane is nearly inert and thus acts as an extremely stable greenhouse gas, with an atmospheric lifetime of 10,000 years. It has a global warming potential (GWP) of 9200. CO2 has a GWP of 1.

According to the IPCC, SF6 is the most potent greenhouse gas that has been evaluated, with a GWP of 23,900.  Sulphur hexafluoride is inert in the troposphere and stratosphere and is extremely long-lived, with an estimated atmospheric lifetime of 800–3,200 years.

Only after intense campaigning by environmentalists did Nike switch to air. 

Edited by Newbornbairn