Things You Learned Today

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

"Leon Arras the Man from Paris."

Leon failed to appear at a bout and Glover was talked into being a ringer by the promoter under his name, after a while he adopted the Frenchman's persona.

One day the real Leon turned up and confronted Glover, je mappelle Leon he said, Glover replied, non, je mappelle Leon, you never turned up.

On 16/05/2023 at 09:15, scottsdad said:

When you go to the cinema, just before the film starts you get the BBFC screen showing you the name of the movie, rating and so on. it is signed by the President of the BBFC - Natasha Kaplinsky. Former newsreader and first ever winner of Strictly Come Dancing. 

I noticed that a few months back. Just a bizarre choice. When you look at some of the appointments over the years, you wonder what the criteria is for getting work with the film censors - a belief that the lower orders copy whatever they see on screen was apparently prevalent as recently as the Nineties.

Amusing to think that an amateur ballroom dancer and autocue reader gets to decide whether we'll be depraved and corrupted by images of tits and blood, shots of people injecting illegal drugs, or kung-fu scenes involving nunchucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Not today, but yesterday evening at Camperdown Park I learned that I could blag my way through stage one of security, get nonchalantly by stage two while streams of folk were heading out but was not fast enough to out sprint the lads at stage 3 to gain entry to the event without a ticket. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

• 5 months later...