Things You Learned Today

Pirates didn't all wear an eye patch due to missing an eyeball after a drunken brawl.

A pair of eyes  can have different light sensitivity, so would cover the eye that was weaker in the dark, when going down below decks.

8 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Followed up with:

Hooray, hooray, it's Scott McTominay

This needs to happen.

30 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Pirates didn't all wear an eye patch due to missing an eyeball after a drunken brawl.

A pair of eyes  can have different light sensitivity, so would cover the eye that was weaker in the dark, when going down below decks.

Imagine letting a pirate anywhere near that area. Their teeth were minging.

• 3 weeks later...

Bin bags have unique markings on them such as variation marks and manufacturing marks, meaning individual bags can be linked back to individual rolls, and ultimately the place of purchase (and often time bought, with buyer visible if the till had CCTV).

Basically, don't leave the body in a bin bag.

Edited by Hedgecutter

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bin bags have unique markings on them such as variation marks and manufacturing marks, meaning individual bags can be linked back to individual rolls, and ultimately the place of purchase (and often time bought, with buyer visible if the till had CCTV).

Basically, don't leave the body in a bin bag.

Apropos of nothing, how long do bin bags take to degrade in a shallow hole? 

• 2 weeks later...

McDiarmid Park's floodlights were actually part of St Johnstone's old ground, hence a bit of Muirton Park lives on despite it being flattened for an ASDA.

Also never knew that McDiarmid was the name of the farmer that gifted them the land for it.  

TIL Bananas are berries & strawberries aren't.

ETA: Also that Charles Dance is slightly taller than me.

Edited by Venti

Website addresses ending in .tv are simply those registered in Tuvalu; i.e. not some special web domain for television-related companies who collectively pay Tuvalu ~$7m every year in royalties (~$620 per head of population).

Whilst researching peanuts, because I’m that cool, I discovered that almonds and cashews are also not true nuts but are in fact drupes. There appears to be some debate about pecans.

There’s got to be a joke in there: nuts; drupe etc. but I can’t be bothered. It’d be shit anyway 

Whilst listening to Talksport radio today, the presenter passed a comment about a friend of his. He said that when his friend went for a dump in his own house, he would always strip naked before doing the said deed. Almost immediately the producer on the other side of the studio said he did the same thing. Then the co-presenter, ex football player Darren Bent said that he also stripped off when going to the toilet!!

Never heard of this before. Anybody on here do the same?

Edited by tinkerbelle

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Website addresses ending in .tv are simply those registered in Tuvalu; i.e. not some special web domain for television-related companies who collectively pay Tuvalu ~$7m every year in royalties (~$620 per head of population).

Similarly Anguila is cashing in big time, thanks to their .ai domain.

51 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Whilst researching peanuts, because I’m that cool, I discovered that almonds and cashews are also not true nuts but are in fact drupes. There appears to be some debate about pecans.

There’s got to be a joke in there: nuts; drupe etc. but I can’t be bothered. It’d be shit anyway 

The flesh which surrounds a cashew is toxic, and will temporarily paralyse your mouth if you try to consume it.

Cashews are 82% of Guinea-Bissau's official exports, mainly headed to India. Their main export is of course cocaine.

1 hour ago, tinkerbelle said:

Whilst listening to Talksport radio today, the presenter passed a comment about a friend of his. He said that when his friend went for a dump in his own house, he would always strip naked before doing the said deed. Almost immediately the producer on the other side of the studio said he did the same thing. Then the co-presenter, ex football player Darren Bent said that he also stripped off when going to the toilet!!

Never heard of this before. Anybody on here do the same?

I will be 60 later this year.  Everything was going fine but since the start of 2024 I have read on P&B of people wiping their arse sitting down and now you suggest I should be naked in preparation of the deed.....I am completely confused and whilst I suspect I have had circa 18,000 poops in my life there is now the dawning realisation that I am getting it all wrong.

45 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I will be 60 later this year.  Everything was going fine but since the start of 2024 I have read on P&B of people wiping their arse sitting down and now you suggest I should be naked in preparation of the deed.....I am completely confused and whilst I suspect I have had circa 18,000 poops in my life there is now the dawning realisation that I am getting it all wrong.

Why wouldn't you make use of open cheeks?