Things You Learned Today

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Nor I.

One which I didn't learn today, but took me a good couple of decades to figure out, is that Eagle Eye Cherry and Neneh Cherry are siblings (probably because their big hits were eight years apart).

Was Trevor their brother?

On 16/01/2024 at 15:59, Hedgecutter said:

Website addresses ending in .tv are simply those registered in Tuvalu; i.e. not some special web domain for television-related companies who collectively pay Tuvalu ~$7m every year in royalties (~$620 per head of population).

Learned this recently too in the video below. Youtu.be being Belgium and Bit.ly being Libya

19 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Skepta and JME are brothers. 

Boy Better Know, that's the label me, Fris, Shorty, Wiley, Sam, Max and my brother run 

The Portuguese Man of War is not in fact a jellyfish, but is a siphonophore. Which is a colony of animals called zooids that work together as one 

On 17/01/2024 at 20:00, Crawford Bridge said:

I've never had to buy carpets/flooring before today so I had no idea what I'd be spending. 

Over £3,000 it's cost me. 

tumblr_e6c4053dbca95a38abb049a2293ee07d_f4cdf165_400.gif.ad390aed90d3e3e14a914fbf3d95cc36.gif.f72103914ac74b150e536a40f17e62e9.gif

£1,800 here recently. Very little of that is labour too.

I hadn't looked into prices for twenty years or more, so that certainly brought out the cold sweats, along with thoughts of "we don't really need carpet, do we? The floorboards look like they'll be fine with a quick scrub, and those paint stains give the living room a Jackson Pollock style ambiance".

On 19/01/2024 at 00:15, DiegoDiego said:

Nor I.

One which I didn't learn today, but took me a good couple of decades to figure out, is that Eagle Eye Cherry and Neneh Cherry are siblings (probably because their big hits were eight years apart).

Neither of them played for Cowdenbeath though. 

Unlike Paul Cherry. 

On 20/01/2024 at 07:05, BFTD said:

£1,800 here recently. Very little of that is labour too.

I hadn't looked into prices for twenty years or more, so that certainly brought out the cold sweats, along with thoughts of "we don't really need carpet, do we? The floorboards look like they'll be fine with a quick scrub, and those paint stains give the living room a Jackson Pollock style ambiance".

For how expensive carpet is, I was very surprised how cheap it is for the actual fitting. Think I was about £60 for the spare room which I was pleasantly surprised by 

On 17/01/2024 at 03:09, velo army said:

This is actually pretty smart. Squatting opens everything up and makes evacuation much easier, preventing the necessity of squeezing it out (which can result in piles). I had a mate once who put a couple of wooden blocks under his feet to raise them up and I have another mate who installed a squatting toilet.

Your mate is a man of resourcefulness and sagacity.

A bit late to this chat but any excuse to post this ad:

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I only learned today that Mauritania is pronounced the way it is. I will not be revealing the way I thought it was pronounced 

I have no clue how to pronounce it but my initial guess would be "Mau-rish-iana" 

As an aside in my job I need to say Llanelli fairly regularly and quickly learned the only acceptable way to pronounce it is if you pretend you're trying to clear your throat. 

15 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

That reminds me, I recently found out that people in North Wales really, really hate people in South Wales <shrug>

Fucking gogs

15 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Glad I’m not the only one, I thought the same until I seen a clip of the AFCON and the commentator pronounced it “mo-ruh-tay-nee-uh”.

Surely that’s how it’s spelled phonetically, unless you’re really stupid. Maybe “mo ruh tah nee ah” I suppose.

15 hours ago, RuMoore said:

I have no clue how to pronounce it but my initial guess would be "Mau-rish-iana" 

Exhibit A