Things You Learned Today

14 hours ago, coprolite said:

Some very vain imbeciles inject synthetic oils into their muscles to look like they've got bigger muscles. Prompted by the Enhanced Games thread where i'd assumed i was on the wrong side of a wind up, but it looks like it's actually a real thing. Still feels like a massive hoax, like the flat earth thing. 

Wait, what? 

• 2 weeks later...

A "fan oven" and a "fan assisted oven" are different things, with the former (also known as a convection oven) being identifiable by having a circle around the picture of the fan on the dial. 

Discovered in answer to the question "where's the fucking element?" 

Any dots before the @ in an email Gmail address are completely superfluous.

I.e. if my email was hedge.cutter@gmail.com then I'd still receive an email even if somebody accidentally sent it to hedgecutter@gmail.com

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Any dots before the @ in an email address are completely superfluous.

I.e. if my email was hedge.cutter@gmail.com then I'd still receive an email even if somebody accidentally sent it to hedgecutter@gmail.com

Thats the best factoid I have read on here for a while.

No wonder I keep getting spam

Edited by Leith Green

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Didn't work. 

Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to n*******.****@hotmail.com because the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive email.

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

This is not true, but the example will work, because of the specific domain.

Gmail addresses work that way and are also case-insensitive; but neither of those is required by the relevant RFCs.

(In practice, dots aren't generally irrelevant; case isn't generally relevant.)

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

It's useful if you want to have multiple accounts on the same service that needs email verification. Like if something's telling you you're already registered, but it was years ago and your password recovery is via an old phone number.

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Pictures of murdered kittens sent now.

Although I know 22 short stories about Springfield is a Pulp fiction parody, and get all the references, I never made the connection to this one scene until earlier.

Marsellus Wallace yells "I'ma get medieval on yo ass!".... Milhouse literally went medieval, swinging a chain mace around wearing the knights helmet.

On 07/03/2024 at 21:47, mathematics said:

A huge spoonful of peanut butter instantly cures 2.5 hour long bouts of hiccups.

A spoonful of vinegar does the same. It was a game changer when I discovered this.

I found out today that Justin Bieber lives next door to Judge Judy.

On 31/03/2024 at 18:11, DiegoDiego said:

It's useful if you want to have multiple accounts on the same service that needs email verification. Like if something's telling you you're already registered, but it was years ago and your password recovery is via an old phone number.

I've also heard it can be used in tracing spam. eg if you sign up for various websites/services then put a dot or a random capitalization somewhere new each time, so that if you do get spam emails then you can trace which service it came from/who sold your data.

Just got my renewed drivers license. The “Great State of Texas” hasn’t seen me in person for a renewal of my license since 2016 (and that was just for a picture…no testing of any sort), and just issued a new license that’s good until 2032 by mail. No wonder the driving here has gone even more to shite!

Edited by TxRover

Today I learned that TIL stands for Today I Learned.

I'd seen it on Twitter and had been reading it as 'til, as in short for until, even though I knew it wasn't that because that wouldn't be capitalised. I googled it now and it's an initialism/acronym for Today I Learned.