Things You Learned Today

9 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Today I learned that TIL stands for Today I Learned.

I'd seen it on Twitter and had been reading it as 'til, as in short for until, even though I knew it wasn't that because that wouldn't be capitalised. I googled it now and it's an initialism/acronym for Today I Learned.

Ivry daes a skill dae.

gabrielledrake.jpg.c034bdbb529c8bccf93ee6d47b31aa24.jpg

Gabrielle Drake who starred in UFO (seen here in 1971 getting a dirty phone call from yer da) is the sister of Nick Drake. 

She turned 80 the other day. 

13 hours ago, Venti said:

Hayden Christensen is only 6' tall. Always thought he was way taller.

David Prowse was 6ft 6, leading to a fan theory that after being burned on Mustafar Vader had his height improved with his robotic legs so that he would always have the high ground...

7 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

David Prowse was 6ft 6, leading to a fan theory that after being burned on Mustafar Vader had his height improved with his robotic legs so that he would always have the high ground...

Hello there.

On 01/04/2024 at 14:37, DiegoDiego said:

Dross is not just a word for a squad put together by Gary Locke. It also means the floating impurities on molten metal.

Similarly, slag isn't just Yer Maw's nickname in gents' lavvies across Scotland.

On 02/04/2024 at 07:44, Freedom Farter said:

Today I learned that TIL stands for Today I Learned.

I'd seen it on Twitter and had been reading it as 'til, as in short for until, even though I knew it wasn't that because that wouldn't be capitalised. I googled it now and it's an initialism/acronym for Today I Learned.

Similarly, IANAL isn't just a phrase used by Yer Maw when advertising in gents' lavvies across Scotland.

6 minutes ago, ericsimpson said:

Blind people can't develop schizophrenia.

Huh. So does it go away if we poke their eyes out?

...maybe getting into Mengele territory here  :shutup

20 hours ago, ericsimpson said:

Blind people can't develop schizophrenia.

This has just sent me into a "I'm going to learn all about this" mindset, so thanks for that.

On 31/03/2024 at 08:19, Hedgecutter said:

Any dots before the @ in an email Gmail address are completely superfluous.

I.e. if my email was hedge.cutter@gmail.com then I'd still receive an email even if somebody accidentally sent it to hedgecutter@gmail.com

Gmail is fairly standard now but if anyone tells you their email is e.g. itzdrk@googlemail.com you can just send it to itzdrk@gmail.com and it will reach them.  

Seemingly, we've been playing fute-ball for 700 years. You'd think we might have got quite good by now.

The world’s oldest football was discovered during an excavation project at Stirling Castle in the 1970s; it had been lodged in the rafters of the Queen’s Chamber in Stirling Castle during the reconstruction works commissioned by James V, which dates the hoofing of it to the 1540s. The ball, made from cowhide and a pig’s bladder, is prominently displayed at the Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/09/where-tourists-seldom-tread-part-9-crewe-boston-barnstaple-stirling

11 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

According to Mary Beard, the last words spoken by Emperor Claudius was akin to 'Oh dear, I've shat myself' a side effect of the poisoned mushrooms just consumed.

Those are bound to be some of the most common last words people utter, only nobody admits to it out of respect.

We've got medical staff on here - a Top Fives thread of the ones they've heard could be...well, I won't say fun exactly...

10 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Seemingly, we've been playing fute-ball for 700 years. You'd think we might have got quite good by now.

The world’s oldest football was discovered during an excavation project at Stirling Castle in the 1970s; it had been lodged in the rafters of the Queen’s Chamber in Stirling Castle during the reconstruction works commissioned by James V, which dates the hoofing of it to the 1540s. The ball, made from cowhide and a pig’s bladder, is prominently displayed at the Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/09/where-tourists-seldom-tread-part-9-crewe-boston-barnstaple-stirling

What I'm getting from that is at least one Scottish Queen entertained footballers in her bedchambers. Fancy.

Not quite Catherine the Great and the horses, but I'll take my Reformation-era royal gossip where I can.

I learned a new word today - 

contumelious 

The Falkirk fans were quite quite contumelious in the reception they gave Paul Hartley. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68770187

/ˌkɒntjʊˈmiːlɪəs/
adjective
ARCHAIC

1. (of behaviour) scornful and insulting; insolent.

Today I learned many many weirdly bizarre, very interesting and informative things just by reading lots of posts on this thread. 
Thank you P&B’ers 

9 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

This has just sent me into a "I'm going to learn all about this" mindset, so thanks for that.

You can go blind, but being born blind is a protective factor against developing schizophrenia.

(I looked it up)

4 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Probably Kirk Broadfoot

7 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

That was covered in some iPlayer Scottish fitba documentary presented by Dougray Scott, which was on the other night and showed the room.  A decent enough watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001wdny

Edited by Hedgecutter