The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Have the Home Office actually deported anyone to Rwanda yet? As far as I'm aware there have only been two attempts so far, both were halted, the last flight had a handful of people onboard and was stopped on the apron.

Just for the record - I'm in no way intending to imply 'oh well what's all this rumpus about since it isn't actually happening anyway', on the contrary. It's an utterly reprehensible policy. The fact they haven't been able to successfully implement it is a testament to the fact that on top of being completely vile, it's being implemented by ideologues who can't actually legislate efficiently because they're being driven by malice and pandering to racist scum rather than coming up with sensible, rational policies.

I think you are correct that no flights have actually left yet, however it wasn’t for the want of trying, and if I recall correctly it was only a last minute appeal lodged at the Supreme Court just hours before the plane was due to take off which gave the last few families a reprieve. I think a kind hearted lawyer agreed to act on behalf of the remaining refugees who were still due to leave, and after the appeal went in the government decided it wouldn’t be a good look to send the plane with only a handful of people on board.

Patel was adamant the plane was leaving right up until the morning it was supposed to go, and tried to find a legal loophole so that she could still send anyone who had lodged an appeal claiming that they would return anyone to the UK whos appeals were successful. That was rejected by a judge and she begrudgingly pulled the plug on the flight. 

Patel was a horrible, in-compassionate and downright nasty Home Secretary, but in Braverman they’ve managed to find the only person in Government that I think is even worse. A dangerous, dangerous woman who should be absolutely nowhere near this job.

I remember I used to think Theresa May was a cold hearted HS, Braverman makes her look like Mother Theresa. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

In the years ahead, you can expect to see more attempts made to lock up as many paupers as possible. Might take a while, as the Conservative Party is almost certain to need a wee time-out to allow Labour to get blamed for the effects of their policies.

When the bill becomes too high, the jails will be privately run, with the inmates performing forced labour to pay for the costs of their own incarceration. Who needs people working for their £80 a week when you can have slaves grinding out their food and board.

9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

In the years ahead, you can expect to see more attempts made to lock up as many paupers as possible. Might take a while, as the Conservative Party is almost certain to need a wee time-out to allow Labour to get blamed for the effects of their policies.

When the bill becomes too high, the jails will be privately run, with the inmates performing forced labour to pay for the costs of their own incarceration. Who needs people working for their £80 a week when you can have slaves grinding out their food and board.

IIRC Peterhead Prison was built by prisoners.

Making cannabis Class A because it might lead to hard drugs is like banning the Daily Mail because it might lead to Fascism

Hmm ...

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I look forward to Duterte style death squads cleaning up the streets. 

They could at least do the decent thing and implement suicide booths for the folk they'd like to squeeze out of existence.

Knowing the Tories, they'd only include the "slow and horrible" option, the dirty b*****ds.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

They could at least do the decent thing and implement suicide booths for the folk they'd like to squeeze out of existence.

Knowing the Tories, they'd only include the "slow and horrible" option, the dirty b*****ds.

I don't see why hard working taxpayers should have to fund humane termination for undesirables. 

32 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Always thought cannabis was used more by the middle classes.

I agree with her as it is a gateway drug to the harder stuff.

Seems like you want decriminalisation?

Calpol was my gateway drug. Should make that class A. 🤔

Around the world more enlightened countries (and also the US) are going down the decriminalisation route. Why the f**k would we go down the route of further prohibition when the war on drugs has been such an utter failure?

It's a nonsense spouted by reactionary arseholes with no real thoughts in their head. Braverman is the worst for it.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Using prisoners as slave labour has been going on in USA for years.

In California they use them as the fire service but when they leave prison they can't become firemen, so much for rehabilitation 

38 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Always thought cannabis was used more by the middle classes.

I agree with her as it is a gateway drug to the harder stuff.

Seems like you want decriminalisation?

People who say it's the gateway drug know very little about it.

Dealers make very little from it and would prefer and do offer harder (more profitable) drugs as they want more return, its all they are in it for.

Cannabis should be legalised and the tax from it would be a welcome and considerable boost to public services.

It would also mean it is taken out of hands of unscrupulous dealers who push harder drugs, so therefore increase the drug problem.

I'm am an ex smoker and have seen the full picture.

11 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Using prisoners as slave labour has been going on in USA for years.

In California they use them as the fire service but when they leave prison they can't become firemen, so much for rehabilitation 

Aye, that's how I know it's coming! Nae danger of the Conservatives coming up with their own ideas.

Can Braverman reclassify Cannabis from Class B to A on her own or would she have to get it passed through parliament?

Is she serious or is this just an attempt to give DPB a semi and the opening shot in the race to be next Tory leader?

1 minute ago, btb said:

Can Braverman reclassify Cannabis from Class B to A on her own or would she have to get it passed through parliament?

Is she serious or is this just an attempt to give DPB a semi and the opening shot in the race to be next Tory leader?

I think she can, Blunkett downgraded it to Class C mostly off his own bat. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-decision-to-downgrade-cannabis-from-a-class-b-drug-to-class-c-drug

If it’s an opening shot, it’s into her own face. Legalization’s very popular in the US, even in states which have large amounts of right wing loonballs (Oregon, Michigan, Nevada). The remaining opponents argument is ‘something something Jesus’ which doesn’t really fly in Blighty. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

1. I think she can, Blunkett downgraded it to Class C mostly off his own bat. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-decision-to-downgrade-cannabis-from-a-class-b-drug-to-class-c-drug

2. If it’s an opening shot, it’s into her own face. Legalization’s very popular in the US, even in states which have large amounts of right wing loonballs (Oregon, Michigan, Nevada). The remaining opponents argument is ‘something something Jesus’ which doesn’t really fly in Blighty. 

1. Fairy Nuff.

2 Get what you're saying but she may be pitching at the geriatocracy  which elects Tory party leaders.

7 minutes ago, btb said:

2 Get what you're saying but she may be pitching at the geriatocracy  which elects Tory party leaders.

That’s also a fair point. I think I’ve been reading the fever dreams about them installing Sunak as caretaker and working it whatever way to bypass having to go to the Tory membership and taking it as read for ‘new leader’ - obvs wouldn’t be the case if there was more than one candidate and surely even the Tories wouldn’t let Braverman stand unopposed. 

ETA - he said, with absolutely no degree of confidence. 

Edited by carpetmonster