The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

I think he said that this winter's support stands, but its application beyond that is to be reviewed (i.e. Removed for all but the most vulnerable). 

The Truss/Kwartang budget is mostly in the bin. The Truss leadership campaign promises have disappeared. I await the response of the "leader" of the Conservative Party in Scotland. 

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Apparently the markets were calmed when it emerged that Kwarteng flew 1st class as BA banned him from 'business' and 'economy'.

I think there was a bit of confusion here.  They were going to send him a letter to say he was sacked.   "In that case, make sure you send it first class."

6 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I think he said that this winter's support stands, but its application beyond that is to be reviewed (i.e. Removed for all but the most vulnerable). 

The Truss/Kwartang budget is mostly in the bin. The Truss leadership campaign promises have disappeared. I await the response of the "leader" of the Conservative Party in Scotland. 

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I await the response of the "leader" of the Conservative Party in Scotland

I think his time as leader is limited, just not as limited as Truss.

His performance in QT last week was risible, he has nothing to say except "SNP bad".

On 14/10/2022 at 12:05, steelmen said:

you just now that the one thing they will reverse is the Energy price cap... make the poor folk pay.

On 14/10/2022 at 12:11, resk said:

I don't think that's likely.  It's the one thing that she falls back on in every speech and will continue to do.  Similar to Boris Johnson's "fastest vaccine rollout" standard (bullshit) response to any question or criticism.    

Nailed it.  FFS.  

18 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think his time as leader is limited, just not as limited as Truss.

His performance in QT last week was risible, he has nothing to say except "SNP bad".

His job is to take whatever bullets are coming his way due to decisions made down south - if he's prepared to do that for the new leader his job's safe.

"SNP bad" is all his target audience want to hear.

It's not much of a job but then he's not much of a politician.

Edited by btb

I really hope Starmer is paying close attention to two critical aspects here.

Firstly, the fear of the energy support being scaled back to a presumed minimum in April of next year will absolutely terrify millions of people this winter, and rightly so.  Whilst continuing to demand a GE, Labour should also go on the attack by promising measures like temporary windfall taxation on energy company profits and the long-overdue rooting out of entrenched tax evasion to ameliorate energy bills. 

Secondly, the last fortnight has comprehensively torpedoed Brexit by demonstrating that in the modern world no nation can realistically take a doctrinaire standalone position based on parroting shite like 'freedom' and 'taking back control'.  Starmer will never have a better opportunity to put a stake in the ground around renegotiating some sort of trade concordat with the EU.

Over to you Keith.   

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I really hope Starmer is paying close attention to two critical aspects here.

Firstly, the fear of the energy support being scaled back to a presumed minimum in April of next year will absolutely terrify millions of people this winter, and rightly so.  Whilst continuing to demand a GE, Labour should also go on the attack by promising measures like temporary windfall taxation on energy company profits and the long-overdue rooting out of entrenched tax evasion to ameliorate energy bills. 

Secondly, the last fortnight has comprehensively torpedoed Brexit by demonstrating that in the modern world no nation can realistically take a doctrinaire standalone position based on parroting shite like 'freedom' and 'taking back control'.  Starmer will never have a better opportunity to put a stake in the ground around renegotiating some sort of trade concordat with the EU.

Over to you Keith.   

I love your optimism, but I'm afraid it could be very misplaced

Edited by Soapy FFC

They are now basically holding the country to ransom. Clearly Truss will be binned in the next few days or week...they put in the next nonentity but then hold out for another 2 years before having to call a GE..its like a banana Republic, in any functioning democracy there would have to be a GE this year after changing leader again.
It looks to me that they'll put in Hunt as PM as in relative terms he is untouched by the rest of the cretinous scum in charge. I also genuinely can't see them uniting around one of the others - Sunak may be the obvious one but too many dislike him. Mordaunt as well is tainted as being part of the cabinet that supported these horrendous mini-budget decisions.