The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

1 hour ago, Oceanlineayr said:

The fact even GB news avoid her despite having oddballs like Neil Oliver speaks volumes. I struggle to understand who actually attends these grifting shows she puts on in America

AFAIK she's not doing any of her own events, she's just speaking at bigger conferences, so the audience is already there to see whoever else. That said, the room at her CPAC speech looked decidedly similar to Hampden for Rangers vs St Johnstone. 

10 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Cancer is the wokest ilness anyone can have, so Truss was right.

Nobody had cancer in the 1940s, when this country still had balls.

Ah. But testicular cancer put an end to all those balls.

9 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Cancer is the wokest illness anyone can have, so Truss was right.

Nobody had cancer in the 1940s, when this country still had balls.

Cancer rates were lower when people were dying of lots of other things such as small pox and  bubonic plague as well as famines and wars.

Woke objections to disease and war are responsible for the increase.

On 29/08/2024 at 08:35, Fullerene said:

Cancer rates were lower when people were dying of lots of other things such as small pox and  bubonic plague as well as famines and wars.

Woke objections to disease and war are responsible for the increase.

Japan went through many years, into decades, of hand-wringing about what was causing their increased cancer rates. Western food, especially dairy, took a lot of the blame, as did various hangovers from WW2. Turned out it was just that they weren't dying of other things (including TB, strokes and running at heavily armed US Marine positions with a sword) and the longer you live the more chance that cancer's gonna get ye. We all die of something.

If we ever cure cancer we'll need to add years on to the pension age.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Japan went through many years, into decades, of hand-wringing about what was causing their increased cancer rates. Western food, especially dairy, took a lot of the blame, as did various hangovers from WW2. Turned out it was just that they weren't dying of other things (including TB, strokes and running at heavily armed US Marine positions with a sword) and the longer you live the more chance that cancer's gonna get ye. We all die of something.

If we ever cure cancer we'll need to add years on to the pension age.

I remember going on a rant at the dinner table at the then in-laws about the fundamental reason for decline in healthcare standards, burgeoning national care crisis etc, was that people were simply living too bloody long due to increases in living standards and advances in medicine. Given she was already retired and on a pension at this point, and had undergone several lengthy and dangerous operations to resolve something that was a significant threat to her life, I can now understand her raised eyebrow and quizzical look. I tried to explain that human bodies are only supposed to regenerate cells a certain number of times before things invariably go haywire, and cancer is just natures way of making sure a lot of folk don't just go on and on and on, but that didn't seem to placate her any 😐

Edited by Boo Khaki

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I remember going on a rant at the dinner table at the then in-laws about the fundamental reason for decline in healthcare standards, burgeoning national care crisis etc, was that people were simply living too bloody long due to increases in living standards and advances in medicine. Given she was already retired and on a pension at this point, and had undergone several lengthy and dangerous operations to resolve something that was a significant threat to her life, I can now understand her raised eyebrow and quizzical look. I tried to explain that human bodies are only supposed to regenerate cells a certain number of times before things invariably go haywire, and cancer is just natures way of making sure a lot of folk don't just go on and on and on, but that didn't seem to placate her any 😐

"...but anyway, it was nice meeting you. mum. Hope we can do this again soon".

Am I right that there's no obvious reason why our cells stop efficiently regenerating? Sure I saw something that said the body just starts degrading because that's what it's set to do, and biologists were confident that it's something that could be turned off someday. They were talking about possible lifespans of 10,000 years or something.

Obviously that'll be for Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos' descendants, not ours.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Am I right that there's no obvious reason why our cells stop efficiently regenerating? Sure I saw something that said the body just starts degrading because that's what it's set to do, and biologists were confident that it's something that could be turned off someday. They were talking about possible lifespans of 10,000 years or something.

I'm no biologist, but my hazy school biology memories recall something about oxidisation, every time a cell replicates the DNA degrades and is prone to "error", so eventually everything either goes haywire and mutates leading to cancers, or the cells just give up the ghost and stop replicating = deid.

Edited by Boo Khaki

16 minutes ago, BFTD said:

As an aside I have convinced myself that Elon Musk is shit scared of dying and that’s what motivates him in everything he does.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

As an aside I have convinced myself that Elon Musk is shit scared of dying and that’s what motivates him in everything he does.

Probably, but he's also seething that he's only loved by the terminally online and wants to make us all pay for our insouciance.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm no biologist, but my hazy school biology memories recall something about oxidisation, every time a cell replicates the DNA degrades and is prone to "error", so eventually everything either goes haywire and mutates leading to cancers, or the cells just give up the ghost and stop replicating = deid.

Whenever a cell divides to make new cells, it's a massive undertaking. Each chromosome is replicated piece by piece using RNA, and checked. The sheer amount of genetic material means that transcription errors do surface. The cell is magnificent at finding and correcting errors. It's jus that your cells need to get it right every time, and over the course of decades not every mutation or error is found. Get the right combination of errors and you win cancer.

An old lecturer of mine spoke about smoking. Imagine a room with 1000 safes in it. They all have random combinations. You have to guess the combinations of them all, one after the other, to cause a mutation. And whenever you have tried and failed, the combinations are all randomly reset. That's how good your cells are at preventing mutations.

Smoking one cigarette represents 20 million goes at unlocking the safes.