Been on a trip abroad solo?

Ylf

1 hour ago, Ylf said:

Always wanted to go to Naples but the mrs doesn’t fancy it I’m thinking of going on my own for a long weekend or so. She says she couldn’t go on her own and it’s a bit sad what is the thoughts of the good people in here? Would you travel solo yay or nay

Just go.

If anybody asks, you are a vulcanologist attending a symposium on advances in monitoring gaseous analogies from extinct or near extinct volcanos but your colleagues have been delayed because of all the trouble caused by Brexit, staff shortages at the airport, baggage handlers, the War in the Ukraine, the dreadful organisers who can't organise anything, and you have got dysentery from eating the local food.

I am sure they will leave you alone.

Frequently either racing or fishing trips abroad mostly. It usually consists of up to a week away with maybe 3/4 of the days fishing or racing. Always try to squeeze in a football game if I can too. Meal and a few beers watching football at night, it's joyous. Often do the same trips with a mate or two but if our leave patterns don't allow it I have no qualms about a solo. To be fair the wife does go a good few long weekends / odd week away if she's on leave when I'm not too. It works for us but it won't be for everyone.

57 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

If anybody asks, you are a vulcanologist attending a symposium on advances in monitoring gaseous analogies from extinct or near extinct volcanos 

Go further by saying that there's a slim chance that the area is about to collapse into a newly-imaged Santorini-scale caldera at a moment's notice, and that you're only out doing seismic monitoring because the dangerpay is worth it.

FWIW, I do a lot of sitting about doing f*** all offshore, which makes a lot of folk ask "what's your actual job here?".  Getting fed up of saying the same thing all the time, I conjured up a job to see if I could catch someone out, saying that "I'm an environmentalist looking for whales or dolphins, but I can't do any work unless the weather's really nice outside".  Little did I realise that such a job (Marine Mammal Observer) is a thriving business.

Edited by Hedgecutter

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

FWIW, I do a lot of sitting about doing f*** all offshore, which makes a lot of folk ask "what's your actual job here?".  Getting fed up of saying the same thing all the time, I conjured up a job to see if I could catch someone out, saying that "I'm an environmentalist looking for whales or dolphins, but I can't do any work unless the weather's really nice outside".  Little did I realise that such a job (Marine Mammal Observer) is a thriving business.

I was asked this a lot, sitting in rec rooms became quite the past time of mine. I was always honest, as Valve Techs are known as biggest work shy free loaders in the North Sea. It was always met with 'That'll explain it then'.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Cant go wrong with some input from @Bert Raccoon in this instance.

Said no-one ever...

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye I've gone loads of bike tours and they've all been solo.

It'd be shite if you had to give someone a backie.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I think I posted a thread like this years ago.  I suppose solo travelling as a man carries much less risk than a woman.

I’ve done it a few times and loved it.  The only shite thing is what to do at night.  Mostly I just sit in pubs and get pished watching football.

I went for a few days away to Tenerife myself last month and had a great time. As others have said, not having to adhere to other people's schedules is the main bonus. Think it depends on your personality, plenty of my mates hate  being by themselves and always try to surround themselves with people whereas I'm quite content sitting in a pub myself. Sitting alone in holiday with a few beers and a book iiln the glorious sunshine was just absolute bliss and I'd definitely do it again 

5 hours ago, Ylf said:

Always wanted to go to Naples but the mrs doesn’t fancy it I’m thinking of going on my own for a long weekend or so. She says she couldn’t go on her own and it’s a bit sad what is the thoughts of the good people in here? Would you travel solo yay or nay

Naples is a great city. 

In a way I would say aye, go for it because of one experience last year. 

I wanted to visit the Veiled Christ. It was stifling hot and we were both getting a bit crabbit. We eventually found the place and my wife tells me that she can't be bothered going in. For me half the pleasure is sharing an experience like that. We kind of fell out and I wasn't in the state of f***ing grace required to appreciate a religious artefact. 

First thing the taxi driver said to us on the way to the airport. 

"I hope you saw the Veiled Christ" 

Went to Prague on my own just before the pandemic took hold. I'd been many times before with my wife, son and groups of friends but we always stayed in the Old Town.

I stayed in Vinohrady near the boundary with Zizkov and because the public transport system is so brilliant I went wandering in Nusle, Device, Smichov and Mala Strana. I got to see so much more of the city than the other times I'd been there.