Terrors v Hibees - The Jack Ross Destruction Derby

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

United have confirmed that the mics are in the away section. That was already known by most of us familiar with the streaming service at Tannadice but it's been formally confirmed. What else do you need to know to establish the source of the offensive shout? Or do you think that United are lying and there are, in fact, other microphones feeding into the stream? 

There seems to be a significant misunderstanding among some commentators (you and others) about the relationship between a camera image and an audio feed. The picture on the screen at the time that someone shouted something offensive is of Kieran Freeman and Jair. That does not mean that the comment was directed at either of those two players. The video feed - and this is important so please concentrate - is not controlled by the eyes of the person doing the shouting. 

This isn't difficult for most people to get their head around. 

Edit: I see there's been another statement confirming the position for the slow of thinking.

Someone is going to have to break this news very gently to Marvin Bartley. He knows that he heard "black" and not "fat".

A good outcome as it turns it out it wasn’t a racist incident which is what surely everyone wants 

A good lesson in not diving in heid first without all the facts

Some posters on here, Twitter and Hibs.net looking a bit daft now 

I’m sure 99.99% of us on here abhor racism

Marvin Bartley should probably take his thread on Twitter down as well 

7 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I think you need to calm yourself down mate, of course I dont think Utd are lying but its always better to wait on the outcome of an investigation rather than making your own conclusions...........I also mentioned upthread that I reckoned the call was Fat b*****d and not the other.

I agree with your point that the video and audio obviously crossed at a slightly unfortunate point which has led to the misunderstanding - maybe this may prompt Utd to spend £100 on a couple of mics for the home end?

Sounds like both clubs are happy with the outcome so thats good enough for me.

Clear and obvious mistake. 
Good job John Barnes never got involved, he would have talked us all to death. 

Disappointing to see folk have a go at Bartley for this. Having listened to the clip, he certainly won’t have been the only one who thought that’s what was said.

He may have jumped the gun but going all in on a guy who has been on the end of racial abuse himself within Scottish football is pretty poor.

Nah, away you go. He went all in on the "scumbag" who shouted the line in question, and has been shown to be incorrect. A wee apology and we can move on.

Who does he owe an apology to exactly? The unidentified fatphobe who he thought was a racist? [emoji28]

He said what he did based on what he thought he heard. Having listened to the clip, it certainly isn’t out of the question to think that’s what was said. As someone who has experienced racial abuse within our game, you can hardly blame him for commenting on what unfortunately wouldn’t have been a one-off in Scottish football.

25 minutes ago, Mdiap said:

Nah, away you go. He went all in on the "scumbag" who shouted the line in question, and has been shown to be incorrect. A wee apology and we can move on.

Problem is that if folk gang up on Marvin Bartley, then he and others may think twice before calling it out in future. 

I think that he did the right thing.

27 minutes ago, Mdiap said:

Yes

I get that point, and I agree. His execution and the way he has gone about it are poor though, in my opinion. Absolutely certain, "clear as day" etc. When in fact it wasn't. 

I also think people should admit when they're wrong and apologise when making false accusations. But, again, that's just my opinion. 

Ken, a lot of apologies due then.

All social media first plz.  

1 hour ago, woolf said:

Nah,he’s too busy being offended 👍

Bartley might have got this one wrong but to refer to a black man who’s suffered racially abused previously as “being offended” is pretty fucking disgusting to be quite honest, horrendous take from you. 

Bartley obviously got this one wrong but referring to potential racist abuse as “being offended” really doesn’t sit right with me and should sit right with anyone who’s not a racist.