Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Better yet, we could have a republic with a token head of state who is not a lying arsehole.

Maybe except for one small point.  I don't really give a shit.

The role of Prime Minister or First Minister (or equivalent) is an important one that affects people's lives and should only go to someone who will take it seriously as opposed to for some ego trip.

By contrast the role of President (in some countries at least) may supposedly be more senior but in reality it is largely ceremonial and has less consequences if it goes to the wrong person.

I recall when Andrei Gromyko was made President of the USSR and was totally pissed off.  It was like being put out to pasture.

I'd favour getting rid of the monarchy altogether.

I can see the case for a ceremonial head of state with perhaps a long term appointment. Gets the seal of Scotland and acts as official signatory and whatnot.

The coronation and the absurdity surrounding only cemented my republican leanings. Having read Paine has also helped, he loathed the monarchy. It's just so ridiculous and unnecessary. Unhealthy even.

Charles is a twit. All the finery in the world doesn't lessen that. He just becomes a twinkly twit.

1 hour ago, Herc said:

Just make it non political and like jury duty. Folk get a shot at having their picture taken opening a swimming pool or meeting famous people for a year.

Whit? Surely you’d no more trust an average person to do such a critical job than you’d endure an operation performed by a surgeon whose mother and grandfather and great uncle and great-great-grandfather weren’t each born qualified to be surgeons?

On 19/06/2023 at 17:01, Fullerene said:

One issue to consider here is Boris Johnson.

Obviously he was never fit to be Prime Minister and there is little to suggest he took the role seriously.

However if the UK was a republic with a non-executive president who would cut ribbons, open hospitals, greet visiting dignitaries and give tiresome speeches then Johnson would have been far better at that than the role he was forced to quit.  

He would also have been a lot cheaper than the Royal Family I suspect.

I know the royal family would be a hard financial act to follow, but I wouldn't be too sure about that. He'd probably start selling off ceremonial, non-legally binding square inches of Buck House and some ludicrous fake titles like "Keeper of the Third Floor Lavvy" to misguided Americans, and seats at state banquets for 100 grand.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Scottish "coronation" taking place today. I'm on holiday this week anyway but I'm guessing my workplace hasn't been closed to mark the occasion. 

He got a nice welcome today😆

.............although I am sure the good old BBC will tell us that "Scotland rolled out the welcome mat for King Charles in Edinburgh".

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

.............although I am sure the good old BBC will tell us that "Scotland rolled out the welcome mat for King Charles in Edinburgh".

That's absolutely brilliant.

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Scottish "coronation" taking place today. I'm on holiday this week anyway but I'm guessing my workplace hasn't been closed to mark the occasion. 

STV news actually commented that crowds lining the streets were well down on what had been expected and a fair whack of them were anti monarchy protesters. A long slow lingering death of the monarchy is well underway. 

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

This must be the original dub before the BBC did their work on it.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

STV news actually commented that crowds lining the streets were well down on what had been expected and a fair whack of them were anti monarchy protesters. A long slow lingering death of the monarchy is well underway. 

Well, I doubt they're minting many new monarchists up here these days, and the ones who were there today will be the usual Scottish women of all genders.

Before long we can begin fully kettling them in Bearsden, Barnton and Ballater.