Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

No you couldn’t. The clue is in the name: the Crown Estate. It’s the property of the “Crown”, not the monarchy. The monarchy happens to be the face of the Crown under the present constitutional setup, but if the constitution was legally altered to abolish that and institute something else as the face of the Crown, the ex royals would walk away without the Estates (as Edward VIII did). Even under the current system, if Charlie tried to claim the Crown Estates were his, he’d also be claiming responsibility for paying for the UK’s governance … and good luck making the revenue of the Crown Estates cover that.

Welsh opinion is that they're not his:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/most-welsh-people-believe-crown-26854998.amp

Did anyone else watch the C4 show about the Maitlis interview with Nonce Andrew?

I thought he was thick and arrogant before it, but listening to the programme producer and Maitlis, it seems I had underestimated just how thick and arrogant

On 08/05/2023 at 20:15, Leith Green said:

It always makes me laugh that these brain donors seemingly do not realise that the entire Royal Family think that they are scum and would not piss on them if they were on fire. 

I've noticed that Chuckles' missus seems to have blagged the title Queen Camilla after all. Many moons ago, I'm sure I remember there being some agreement that she'd never get that title due to being a divorcee, or an adulterer, or being a slightly different brand of Christian, or not being Diana, Princess of All Our Hearts, or some other guff.

People were frothing at the concept thirty or so years ago, but I guess it wasn't that important after all.

11 hours ago, BTFD said:

I've noticed that Chuckles' missus seems to have blagged the title Queen Camilla after all. Many moons ago, I'm sure I remember there being some agreement that she'd never get that title due to being a divorcee, or an adulterer, or being a slightly different brand of Christian, or not being Diana, Princess of All Our Hearts, or some other guff.

People were frothing at the concept thirty or so years ago, but I guess it wasn't that important after all.

Before getting together with Diana, Dodi Fayed had been in a long term relationship with Claudia Christian (Ivanova in Babylon 5).

Spoiler

claudia-christian-06.jpg

43 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Is Anderson actually this thick or is it all an elaborate act?

I always thought when it came to select committee stuff they chose people who were well regarded as being good at cross party stuff and were essentially the hall moniters of Westminster but now I'm wondering if it's like jury duty. 

Am I the only one wondering why the story that is headlining the news tonight is “Prince Harry and Meghan in a two hour car chase” there is more important things going on right now than focussing on an ex royal and his Hollywood wife. I think the story is extremely over exaggerated from what I’ve seen/red. A two hour long car chase around the streets of Manhattan is highly unlikely.

A high speed car chase on the upper west side even at 4am would be highly improbable given the traffic in that area. For any car chase to last two hours anywhere in the city is bullshit.

Who cares anyway, I thought they wanted a private life now away from the public eye, so why were at an awards ceremony where Meghan was on stage talking about beinfg some kind of global ambassador or some such pish.

Fucking fantasists.

Sonny' Singh was driving his yellow taxi through Manhattan on Tuesday night when he picked up an extraordinary fare. He tells BBC News that a security guard hailed him and "next thing Prince Harry and his wife were hopping into my cab".

He says that as they travelled a block, they "got blocked by a garbage truck and all of a sudden paparazzi came and starting taking pictures". He said the group were just about to tell him the location they wanted to be taken to, but then told him to go back to the police station... where he dropped them off.

Asked about the description of a "near catastrophic chase" he said "I don't think that's true, I think that's all exaggerated". He said he didn't feel in danger and that the police weren't following - "they only helped when we were blocked by the trash truck they honked and then they went their way we went our way".

catastrophe-what-a-catastrophe.gif

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

A high speed car chase on the upper west side even at 4am would be highly improbable given the traffic in that area. For any car chase to last two hours anywhere in the city is bullshit.

Who cares anyway, I thought they wanted a private life now away from the public eye, so why were at an awards ceremony where Meghan was on stage talking about beinfg some kind of global ambassador or some such pish.

Fucking fantasists.

Exactly if they were wanting a “private life” like they claimed they were why would you do a tell all interview with Oprah,film a Netflix series about your lives and then realease a tell all book and start appearing for guest appearances on the likes of the jimmy kimmell show it’s a load of nonsense. 

3 hours ago, Lucyintheskywithdiamonds said:

Am I the only one wondering why the story that is headlining the news tonight is “Prince Harry and Meghan in a two hour car chase” there is more important things going on right now than focussing on an ex royal and his Hollywood wife. I think the story is extremely over exaggerated from what I’ve seen/red. A two hour long car chase around the streets of Manhattan is highly unlikely.

There's literally an entire shelf at your local newsagents dedicated to magazines with royalty on the front cover.

They do it because it's apparently what their customers want, as evidenced by the fact that even people who think it's unimportant are seeing/reading about it and giving their opinion on the interwebs.