Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

6 hours ago, scottish tory said:

The Royal family bring in far more money than they get from tax payers. We would be so much worse off without them.

President Blair? Or Farage?

Constitutional monarchy may have its anachronisms, still better than any alternative for me. But that's just my opinion!

I realise that "scottish tory" might not still be around but it is stunning to see the argument about the monarchy and alleged income generation rearing its ugly head again.

As someone far more eloquent than me once put it, France and Italy got rid of their monarchies quite some time ago -  unless someone wants to claim that not a single tourist has set foot in those countries since, we'd have to conclude that the tourists might still visit the UK ex-Royal residences..  after all, they'd actually get access to them as paying visitors a lot easier than they can now, and for more of the year.

19 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

What exactly is the objection to President <Horrible Person> (Insert name).  They will merely be a figurehead, they have very little real power and don't even get to control what they get to say in public.  

Probably because you don't want a war criminal (for instance) representing your country. 

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

What exactly is the objection to President <Horrible Person> (Insert name).  They will merely be a figurehead, they have very little real power and don't even get to control what they get to say in public.  

Plus there are the added attractions of the post-holder being able to be booted out by the electorate AND not be at the head of a probably similarly abolished class/honours/forelock tugging/know your place system.

I appreciate it might be hard to dislodge someone from a post when some folk apparently think a supernatural entity appointed him for life and wants his heirs and successors to keep the lineage in power, but it's worth a go IMO.

35 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

blair.jpg.b1be1c062986967383d094578d85b1ea.jpg

Maybe, but if we had an elected head of state he could only be appointed by the electorate and be turfed out on his rear end by the electorate. Not quite so easy to dislodge old Charlie boy and the rest of the Corleones.  Bow and curtsey, there's a good placid population.

Under our current system, our illustrious monarch could put Blair into the Lords at some point in the future and His Lordship could end up in a government role like Mr Malcolm Offord... oh, sorry, I of course meant like "Lord Offord of Gravel". You know, that bloke who was effectively rejected by his own local Conservative Party in the Lothians when they placed him so low down on the "List" that he had no chance of being elected to the Scottish Parliament by the electorate ... but was put into the Lords and is now a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Scotland in the motherfekker of Parliaments.  Democracy? Aye, right.

One revolting office perpetuates the existence of the other. Bin the lot.

15 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

The majority in Canada and Australia looking to dump the HRH's .

Once the Liz was gone,it was only gonna be a matter of time.

I guess that spells the end of CANZUK.  I mean if it not all about us sitting around the campfire belting out GSTK then why bother.

😁

10 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why get rid when they can do things like this and give us all a good laugh

Jesus, that's maybe the worst of the lot. I don't have a problem with an honours system per se, but when clowns like Fabricant and Gavin Williamson get knighthoods it devalues the whole thing beyond recovery.

Add to that the awful 'British Empire' titles and it should all just be scrapped.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Jesus, that's maybe the worst of the lot. I don't have a problem with an honours system per se, but when clowns like Fabricant and Gavin Williamson get knighthoods it devalues the whole thing beyond recovery.

Add to that the awful 'British Empire' titles and it should all just be scrapped.

Seriously.  Poor Nadine quitting politics because of insufficient grovelling.  The whole thing is as corrupt as it can get.

7 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Why would an elected Head of State need to political. They could be someone well respected on the international stage like David Attenborough.

personally I would choose Gary Lineaker at the moment just to see the total meltdown of some right wing types! 😂

Greta plz

2 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Why would an elected Head of State need to political. They could be someone well respected on the international stage like David Attenborough.

personally I would choose Gary Lineaker at the moment just to see the total meltdown of some right wing types! 😂

We need a new king.

PatrickStewart-1994RobinHoodTights.jpg?s

The monarchy is an outdated anachronism and has no real worthwhile role in modern society.

One disgrace is that all of the military take a loyalty oath to one person, the monarch, a disgrace because we the taxpayers fund the military and their oath should be to the citizens.

The security costs alone for one family is enormous plus all the other costs  it's ridulous.

And Charlie on the balcony in that silly coronation get up looked like a cartoon/pantomime character.

Time to get rid and use the billions saved on the likes of the NHS which would serve the public better than a pompous wasteful monarchy.

They would not last any time if all the public finances they receive were taken back into the public purse and they had to fund themselves.