The Mandela Effect

Hedgecutter

... better known as 'false memories'.

Just counting out some money there and remembered Invergowrie Arab being adamant that £500 notes exist because of a (hopefully false) memory of being paid with one.

Any good similar stories, or just general mindf*** examples out there?  Things like 'We are the Champions' not ending in "... of the world", which blew my mind when I had to check for it.

Edited by Hedgecutter
Can't write

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just counting out some money there and remembered Invergowrie Arab being adamant that £500 notes exist because of a (hopefully false) memory of being paid with one.

5e95881dc9df74.35089995-original.jpg.604382d5bb3c4b16b47dd104c5df2597.jpg

Someone must have paid him with one of these.

Worth the princely sum of £1.19.

On 10/09/2022 at 13:49, Hedgecutter said:

Any good similar stories, or just general mindf*** examples out there?  Things like 'We are the Champions' not ending in "... of the world", which blew my mind when I had to check for it.

Well off topic but I remember after Queen played Sun City in South Africa and were put on the UN blacklist, there were mutterings that they shouldn't be allowed to play at Live Aid.

Lucky Nelson was a forgiving kinda guy as the remaining band members were allowed to play at his 90th birthday party. 

Or are these false memories?

Edited by btb

The wife and I did a road trip once down the East Coast of the US. I remember miles and miles of the bluest skies in Georgia, passing huge cotton fields whilst we sang Proclaimers songs. Every time I remember it, my wife is sitting to my left. Except she couldn't have been because it was a left hand drive car and I was driving. 

The only time I've been done by the Mandela effect (that I know of) was when the Ukraine war kicked off about 7 months ago and I made a comment that "Gorbachev would be turning in his grave" only to find out he was still alive.

It was so weird because I felt like I specifically remembering him dying about 3 years ago and even to the detail of reading Steve Rosenburg of the BBC's article on it.

Obviously he passed on a few weeks back so it's a moot point now.

It's been bugging me for a while why I remember it like that (especially because I have a pretty avid interest in Russian politics and history) and I think in hindsight, it was something like his "last-ever" interview with foreign press, but it still doesn't explain it.

The obvious one for me is 9/11 - I distinctly have a memory of it happening in the morning here, but IRL a mate of mine phoned me at work as I was leaving to go out for lunch to say a plane had crashed into one of the towers, and phoned again just as I was coming back in to say one had hit the other one.

It's easy enough explained away though I suppose...I've seen 20 years of contemporary news clips with 8-something in the morning in the corner which have convinced me that's when I saw it happen. Obviously 8 in the morning here would have been the middle of the night over there.

The obvious one for me is 9/11 - I distinctly have a memory of it happening in the morning here, but IRL a mate of mine phoned me at work as I was leaving to go out for lunch to say a plane had crashed into one of the towers, and phoned again just as I was coming back in to say one had hit the other one.
It's easy enough explained away though I suppose...I've seen 20 years of contemporary news clips with 8-something in the morning in the corner which have convinced me that's when I saw it happen. Obviously 8 in the morning here would have been the middle of the night over there.

Also this; I’m convinced I was getting ready for school in the morning as it happened but it must have just been the “highlights” so to speak.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm going to suggest here that this doesn't count as something has clearly changed rather than it never being the case.

queen proof.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

I knew it was the afternoon cause i remember coming home from school to see the immediate aftermath on telly. but for years i could have sworn blind it was a monday

The only time I've been done by the Mandela effect (that I know of) was when the Ukraine war kicked off about 7 months ago and I made a comment that "Gorbachev would be turning in his grave" only to find out he was still alive.
It was so weird because I felt like I specifically remembering him dying about 3 years ago and even to the detail of reading Steve Rosenburg of the BBC's article on it.
Obviously he passed on a few weeks back so it's a moot point now.
It's been bugging me for a while why I remember it like that (especially because I have a pretty avid interest in Russian politics and history) and I think in hindsight, it was something like his "last-ever" interview with foreign press, but it still doesn't explain it.
Same. Not with all the detail but when it was announced he was dead my immediate thought was "I thought he died years ago".