The Last Of Us

capt_oats

15 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I preferred it to last weeks which was just a build to this week imo.

Even though you knew it was coming with the bite the bit with Sam turning was pretty heartbreaking.

Yeah I've gone back and watched the episode again and you're probably right. I really liked the bonding stuff between Joel and Ellie but I think ep. 5 probably is stronger. 

The way they did the Henry and Sam stuff was really good and I didn't mind any of the changes, it probably just hit a bit harder in the game for me because you get to spend a lot more time with them. 

Aye I actually forgot how sad Henry and Sam's story was. That was devastatingly well done :(

ETA - Loved how they put the football posts in the crèche. Nice touch. And was that a letter from Ish? Another decent nod. The writers either did their homework thoroughly or are big fans of the game. 

Edited by 19QOS19

15 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

ETA - Loved how they put the football posts in the crèche. Nice touch. And was that a letter from Ish? Another decent nod. The writers either did their homework thoroughly or are big fans of the game. 

I mean Druckmann is exec producer, director and writer across the series which is great. It's probably the best TV show I've watched since Chernobyl, which is also by Craig Mazin. Guy clearly knows what he's doing.  

Good episode again. They really look to be maintaining the quality all the way through. From the trailer it looks like episode 7 is covering the

Spoiler

Left Behind DLC and presumably some of the cannibals stuff as well which I'd guess would progress into episode 8 too I'd guess

8 hours ago, grumswall said:

I think people coming in to this having not played the games will be expecting a zombie type show. Instead they will get nothing but absolute depression and they will love it. 

Case in point: Me.

Never played either of the games, and as you say, was geared up for a "walking dead style" zombie type action event. I've been very very impressed so far.  The characters are excellent and their doing a damn good job of telling the story.  The characters are very easy to like, but the whole thing is just so sad and bleak, but wonderful!

On 20/02/2023 at 03:28, Rodhull said:

Good episode again. They really look to be maintaining the quality all the way through. From the trailer it looks like episode 7 is covering the

Hide contents

Left Behind DLC and presumably some of the cannibals stuff as well which I'd guess would progress into episode 8 too I'd guess

I'll spoiler this but I think what we'll get is:

Episode 7 will be fully on Ellie's origin story which is quite a good way of heightening the tension while Joel is out the game for folk who haven't seen any of the game. So cover all of Left Behind and really stick some more emotional weight on Ellie's story. 

Episode 8 to be Ellie trying to get Joel back to fitness/ending up kidnapped/ending up caving the cannibal leader's head in with a machete.

It's been a brilliant series so far. I like that they've kind of started to merge the games together by teasing that Dina has already clocked Ellie, Shimmer the horse being a foal at this point and them already having the town set up as opposed to staying in the dam first. 

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I'll spoiler this but I think what we'll get is:

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 7 will be fully on Ellie's origin story which is quite a good way of heightening the tension while Joel is out the game for folk who haven't seen any of the game. So cover all of Left Behind and really stick some more emotional weight on Ellie's story. 

Episode 8 to be Ellie trying to get Joel back to fitness/ending up kidnapped/ending up caving the cannibal leader's head in with a machete.

It's been a brilliant series so far. I like that they've kind of started to merge the games together by teasing that Dina has already clocked Ellie, Shimmer the horse being a foal at this point and them already having the town set up as opposed to staying in the dam first. 

Spoiler

Aye like you say I think ep7 wil be the flashback stuff and maybe Ellie meeting David and his group with Joel being revealed as alive only at the end. Ep8 would be Joel recovering and going off to find Ellie who's been captured by David and then presumably ep9 will be the Salt Lake City stuff.

14 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Brilliant episode again, and for those that haven’t played the game suspect they’ll find that ending a wee bit more painful.

6 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Case in point: Me.

Never played either of the games, and as you say, was geared up for a "walking dead style" zombie type action event. I've been very very impressed so far.  The characters are excellent and their doing a damn good job of telling the story.  The characters are very easy to like, but the whole thing is just so sad and bleak, but wonderful!

I've never played the game either, so fresh eyes. I worried it might be a bit (lot) walking dead-y, but I'm really enjoying that it's focussing on character relationship, rather than slaughtering infected.

The scenery in last night's episode was outstanding, too.

Haven't played the game but the series is excellent! I always think HBO know how to make good TV! 

This show is everything The Walking Dead should have been!  The Bill and Frank episode and the Henry and Sam stuff both hit hard! Ellie and Joel are brilliant together! 

My only issue is it's only on once a week! 

They've kept up the very high standards, loving it. Episode 6 was incredible TV again. Continually impressed by all aspects of the production.

My one complaint is the nauseating bonding over guns. I know it's a post apocalyptic survival thing, it's America, and guns were very prevalent in the game - but in that it was purely a survival aspect type thing, there wasn't the over the top bonding and mutual respect /trust over having and using guns. Most of the Joel and Ellie stuff has been tremendous character work, just not too keen on seeing them have the moments where they become closer be all about guns. There's countless ways in which you make your main characters bond together - just all feels very deliberate and very similar to so many American shows when all of a sudden the characters get on or trust each other because he/she can handle a firearm. I don't like it, but maybe that's just a stupid annoyance on my part.

That out the way, I hope the show continues to be so impressive. It's been really really entertaining. The scenery in the episode 6 was incredible.

Edited by AuAl

He'd tried to keep her away from guns pretty much the entire time. The bonding moments I think of were the talking about being a contractor and explaining football rules. Ellie waking up early and doing the rounds letting Joel sleep, showing all she had learned up to that point.

The shooting training I just saw as Joel both accepting he can't do this by himself anymore, and treating her as an adult. It was also needed since she was a crap shot.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

He'd tried to keep her away from guns pretty much the entire time. The bonding moments I think of were the talking about being a contractor and explaining football rules. Ellie waking up early and doing the rounds letting Joel sleep, showing all she had learned up to that point.

The shooting training I just saw as Joel both accepting he can't do this by himself anymore, and treating her as an adult. It was also needed since she was a crap shot.

Yeah that's fair enough. It was more a slight annoyance I had noticed across the series not just the most recent episode. Maybe it was just on the mind because it's something I've noticed elsewhere recently. Probably just me reading too much into it, just a bit tired of the usual US TV tropes of glorifying guns. Seems entirely deliberate most of the time but very unnecessary.

Hasn't impacted on my enjoyment of the show, it's been exceptional. Joel and Ellie's relationship in particular. 

9 hours ago, AuAl said:

Yeah that's fair enough. It was more a slight annoyance I had noticed across the series not just the most recent episode. Maybe it was just on the mind because it's something I've noticed elsewhere recently. Probably just me reading too much into it, just a bit tired of the usual US TV tropes of glorifying guns. Seems entirely deliberate most of the time but very unnecessary.

Hasn't impacted on my enjoyment of the show, it's been exceptional. Joel and Ellie's relationship in particular. 

It is just a made up story you know.