Athletic, Alloa vs. Athletic, Dunfermline

Can't see a thread about this which maybe isn't a surprise since it's our third meeting already this season and Pars fans will be scunnered after conceding two late goals to drop two points at home to Peterhead last week. I won't be at the Rec next week so hopefully the Pars "put on a show" just for @DA Baracus since he loves that song so much. 2-1 Pars.

Technically - technically - we could be top by 5pm on Saturday.

It'll take a bit of teamwork from the Diddy Alliance but, dash it all, we can pull it off if we just believe.

7 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

You deserve this. My friend, sadly you deserve this.

Never mind. City have the diddy baton, and we shall endeavour to keep them top going in to Round 2!

Well, I certainly hope it's a much better show from us than the last time we played Alloa. Can't see it though. McPake has had all summer and September to get this sorted and we still look way disjointed. We have the players to play certain positions and tactics to suit them, but he seems to be hell-bent on fudging the dross that got us relegated in to formations that don't suit a lot of players, and makes us worse as a whole.

IMO Comrie, McCann, and Chalmers are all needing dropped if McPake is continuing with the three centre halves. Hopefully he bins it and goes back to a formation that'll suit the players. 4-3-3 surely suits us best. 

There’s a preview of the game on this week’s podcast, big thanks to @Stellaboz for joining us later in the episode to get some perspective from the Pars point of view. 

If you fancy a listen you can get it on the link below or on Spotify, Apple Pocasts etc. (think the Saturday preview starts from around 17 or 18 minutes in)  

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com/

Great to see the hype surrounding this one.

Hopefully we do what we did earlier in the season and just scrape a win by any means necessary. Unless there's a strong reaction and an early goal from us, I can't see this being a classic.

From viewing our home games I've no doubt we can scrape a 1-0 anywhere in the division but I think we'll taste defeat in the league for the first time this season. Saturday's ending was bizarre, the opening periods against Falkirk and Peterhead were sh*te, IMO I think Alloa may sneak this one. Would love to be proved wrong and the bitter taste of last week's draw gets us out there firing on all cylinders but I'm not so sure.

It's perhaps strange to say when we're on a good unbeaten run but I'd like to see us change things up a bit for this game. The combination of playing 5 at the back and MacIver in behind the strikers results in us getting overrun in midfield. We have made up for that by getting the ball forward quickly to what is proving to be a good front line, but up against the better teams in the league I think that we'll struggle with this approach.

If we're going to continue with the 5 at the back I'd like too see us with more of a midfielder, Kev Cawley or Cammy O'Donnell perhaps, as the most advanced of the midfield 3. I think that would let us have a bit more control of the game. Obviously playing natural wing backs in the wing back positions would also help.

Not sure why, but I've got a good feeling out this game. 🙂

As often the first goal will be vital and if we can get that (as we have done four times in the five match unbeaten run) then we have the in form strikers and options to cause Dunfermline's good defence problems on the break.

Waspie, Dink etc al have made good points about the shape of the team, and it's clear our best eleven is uncertain. In particular there is a question mark for me over the midfield after the performance at Queen's, but with footballers as good as Scougall, Robbo and Wee Kev backed up by Adam King and Murray Miller, that midfield should be able to match any team in the division.

So, 3-0 Dunfermline probably.

Well, it at least looks like he’s set us up for players to play their best positions rather than fudging them in to positions they don’t play. Still think 4-3-3 is our best bet but we’ll see. Don’t feel confident one jot today.