The Official ‘Hi-Risk Anus PM’ Clusterfuck Thread

Granny Danger

8 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/inheritance-tax-punitive-unfair-says-111400347.html

I guess that's where the 'savings' from HS2 will be going.

You are surely not suggesting that the Tories would even contemplate reducing tax for the richest few percent of the population rather than invest in infrastructure north of the south-east or otherwise invest in public services? 

Shame on you!

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/inheritance-tax-punitive-unfair-says-111400347.html

I guess that's where the 'savings' from HS2 will be going.

With the existing allowances it is only the very wealthy that pay any inheritance tax in the U.K. 

2 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I always thought the very wealthy didn't pay inheritance tax

I’m sure that there’s some that applies to.  Folk who are not tax residents or have everything covered by trusts or covenants but there will be many who that doesn’t apply to.

A couple with an expensive would need to leave £1m+ in assets not ‘protected’ in other ways.

As the article says just of 3% of estates are affected.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m sure that there’s some that applies to.  Folk who are not tax residents or have everything covered by trusts or covenants but there will be many who that doesn’t apply to.

A couple with an expensive would need to leave £1m+ in assets not ‘protected’ in other ways.

As the article says just of 3% of estates are affected.

Also, remember that people are living longer, and a lot of the wealth people build up in homes goes to pay for care.

This "policy" of removal of IHT is mere window dressing in order that the tories can tell their base voters that they are on their side - despite, as you note, the fact that the number of estates impacted is very very small.

38 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Also, remember that people are living longer, and a lot of the wealth people build up in homes goes to pay for care.

This "policy" of removal of IHT is mere window dressing in order that the tories can tell their base voters that they are on their side - despite, as you note, the fact that the number of estates impacted is very very small.

Whatever the public posturing I’m sure Sunak realises that he’s going to lose the GE.  Don’t get me wrong he will do anything and everything he can to avoid it but deep inside I’m sure he knows he’s gubbed.  I also think he will resign as an MP and f**k of to the States.

Part of the IHT thing might be to secure votes, though the people who would support this are Tory voters already.  I think there’s as much chance of it being about putting Starmer in a position where he will have to unwind it when he comes into office.  Shouldn’t be an unpopular move amongst Labour voters but just another complication to deal with.

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Whatever the public posturing I’m sure Sunak realises that he’s going to lose the GE.  Don’t get me wrong he will do anything and everything he can to avoid it but deep inside I’m sure he knows he’s gubbed.  I also think he will resign as an MP and f**k of to the States.

Part of the IHT thing might be to secure votes, though the people who would support this are Tory voters already.  I think there’s as much chance of it being about putting Starmer in a position where he will have to unwind it when he comes into office.  Shouldn’t be an unpopular move amongst Labour voters but just another complication to deal with.

Thing is that it will be unpopular with Tory voters, thus encouraging them to come out in numbers the next time.

Much of what the Tories are doing now is about making it as difficult as possible for Labour when they get in, and ensuring a swift return to office.

6 minutes ago, Shipa said:

Much of what the Tories are doing now is about making it as difficult as possible for Labour when they get in, and ensuring a swift return to office.

Agreed. That's why we need electoral reform so we don't ever have lame duck governments causing havoc for the party's interest and not the country's interest.

On 25/09/2023 at 16:59, Shipa said:

And they will succeed.

I’d put money on the next Labour government being a one term one.

The only way to avoid it is to adopt bold policies, something Starmer won’t do.

On 30/09/2023 at 11:24, Granny Danger said:

And they will succeed.

I’d put money on the next Labour government being a one term one.

The only way to avoid it is to adopt bold policies, something Starmer won’t do.

Then again, the Tories might lose the next election and conclude it was because they were not right wing enough.  Thus they will choose the most bat shit crazy leader they can think of and consequently Labour will win the next one by default.

12 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Then again, the Tories might lose the next election and conclude it was because they were not right wing enough.  Thus they will choose the most bat shit crazy leader they can think of and consequently Labour will win the next one by default.

Yeah because there’s evidence in modern western politics that people will never vote for a bat shit crazy leader.

Rishi’s as big a liar as his predecessor’s predecessor.

One from the Johnson playbook.

Sunak fails to hand WhatsApp messages from time as chancellor to Covid inquiry

Exclusive: PM claims he has changed phone since running the Treasury and did not back up the messages.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/02/sunak-fails-to-hand-whatsapp-messages-from-time-as-chancellor-to-covid-inquiry

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Exclusive: PM claims he has changed phone since running the Treasury and did not back up the messages.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/02/sunak-fails-to-hand-whatsapp-messages-from-time-as-chancellor-to-covid-inquiry

Failure to back up communications about govt business should be treated as a criminal matter.

On 30/09/2023 at 10:34, HTG said:

I never had a sense that Sunak would be any use but I've been surprised at just how appallingly bad he is - an absolute fucking arsehole of a boy.

Quite something that the best Tory PM of the past three is fucking Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

Losing large parts of HS2 and rowing back on net zero makes Sunak as bad as Liz Truss for me. 

34 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Quite something that the best Tory PM of the past three is fucking Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

After the election they will have to choose another one and all the sensible ones were booted out for opposing Brexit.

On a slightly different note, which tropical disease is the least unpleasant ...

On 25/09/2023 at 08:26, Granny Danger said:

Yes, Brown did this when he raised the income tax threshold to 45% in 2009. Then there was an outcry quite recently when the Tories tried to reduce it. Suspect much of what Sunak is doing at the moment is similar, particularly around green policies that a Labour government would like to reinstate but are less popular amongst the electorate.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Usually when people under investigation "lose their phones" or "accidentally delete their messages", the authorities contact the company and get them to decrypt the backups on their servers. This of course will never happen, because there's no genuine motive to obtain them.