Dundee Riots

ICTChris

28 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Edinburgh as far as I'm aware marks very small areas, often where homeless congregate as being illegal for public drinking

Not sure this is the case (and if some dafty councillor passed a byelaw it certainly isnt policed).

Its always been the case that you can drink anywhere in the street in Edinburgh - its always a giggle watching the professional jakies mixing with the luvvies at this time of the year at the bottom of St Marys St near the Pleasance.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I wondered about that- is there a Niddrie/Craigmillar boundary? 

Seafield is an odd one, I didn't think anyone in particular lived there, let alone neds. Unless they're scared a stray rocket will ignite the sewage works and it's goodbye North East Edinburgh

Screenshot_20240823_231322_SamsungInternet.jpg.c0ae3bce0ded464625408c8e5682534c.jpg

Turns out they're not all because of antisocial behaviour.

It's because it scares the dugs.

15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Screenshot_20240823_231322_SamsungInternet.jpg.c0ae3bce0ded464625408c8e5682534c.jpg

Turns out they're not all because of antisocial behaviour.

It's because it scares the dugs.

Better return the fireworks I had bought to celebrate our league title this season. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Not sure this is the case (and if some dafty councillor passed a byelaw it certainly isnt policed).

Its always been the case that you can drink anywhere in the street in Edinburgh - its always a giggle watching the professional jakies mixing with the luvvies at this time of the year at the bottom of St Marys St near the Pleasance.

Dafty bylaws are what I'm referring too. Nicholson square is the big one I remember, it's about the 30 sq meters. Agreed it's not policed, cos how could you when someone could just move a few feet and it's not a crime anymore.

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Dafty bylaws are what I'm referring too. Nicholson square is the big one I remember, it's about the 30 sq meters. Agreed it's not policed, cos how could you when someone could just move a few feet and it's not a crime anymore.

Yeah, they have just moved 100 yards to St Patrick sq.

The guys at The Tron get moved on every summer to make way for stalls.

Unclear where the boy in the batman suit now scores his street valium !

The public should be banned  from buying fireworks. They are dangerous and also animals, especially dogs are scared senseless by them.

Have an organised display on the 5th but that is all that should be allowed. 

1 minute ago, Big Bobo said:

The public should be banned  from buying fireworks. They are dangerous and also animals, especially dogs are scared senseless by them.

Have an organised display on the 5th but that is all that should be allowed. 

Can you remind me nearer the time?

19 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I live near Balerno and there were issues with kids throwing fireworks at buses last year. 

Think it's more to do with Lothian Animals Welfare Centre, which is in Balerno. 

Dogs would be fine if they were trained properly, puppies should have bangers regularly thrown at them and rewarded with a biscuit if they don't whimper. 

• 3 weeks later...

Glasgow becomes second city to approve fireworks ban - BBC News

Glasgow has become the second council in Scotland to approve a ban on fireworks in certain parts of the city around Bonfire Night. Councillor Elaine McSporran, the city council's Firework Safety Champion, said she hoped the fireworks ban would "bring some relief" to Pollokshields residents.

The firework control zone (FCZ) will cover Pollokshields - an area that has faced the most serious firework-related anti-social behaviour, according to the council. It will take effect from 1-10 November covering both public and private spaces such as gardens. Anyone setting off a private firework during this period will be committing a criminal offence.

Glasgow has also experienced problems as recently as last November, when 20 youths fought and threw fireworks at one another in the Quarrywood Avenue area of Barmulloch. Locals also filmed fireworks being set off on Leven Street, Pollokshields near houses and cars.

Thirteen applications for FCZs in Glasgow were reviewed by a panel of experts from emergency services following public consultation on the issue. Four applications related to areas of Pollokshields were received and combined as one entry. The review panel considered all applications with each decision based on crime data and council complaints statistics.

665a4140-6ebd-11ef-b02d-c5f3b724a1ea.jpg

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Glasgow becomes second city to approve fireworks ban - BBC News

Glasgow has become the second council in Scotland to approve a ban on fireworks in certain parts of the city around Bonfire Night. Councillor Elaine McSporran, the city council's Firework Safety Champion, said she hoped the fireworks ban would "bring some relief" to Pollokshields residents.

The firework control zone (FCZ) will cover Pollokshields - an area that has faced the most serious firework-related anti-social behaviour, according to the council. It will take effect from 1-10 November covering both public and private spaces such as gardens. Anyone setting off a private firework during this period will be committing a criminal offence.

Glasgow has also experienced problems as recently as last November, when 20 youths fought and threw fireworks at one another in the Quarrywood Avenue area of Barmulloch. Locals also filmed fireworks being set off on Leven Street, Pollokshields near houses and cars.

Thirteen applications for FCZs in Glasgow were reviewed by a panel of experts from emergency services following public consultation on the issue. Four applications related to areas of Pollokshields were received and combined as one entry. The review panel considered all applications with each decision based on crime data and council complaints statistics.

665a4140-6ebd-11ef-b02d-c5f3b724a1ea.jpg

Not terribly sure how they’ll enforce this without a ban on sales. 

52 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

They won’t. And it’d need to be countrywide anyway. Fireworks are illegal in Illinois but as soon as you go over the border to Indiana or Wisconsin you’re met with fireworks shops; some of them even have advertising billboards before you’re across the state line. Next week’s Mexican Independence Day so Chicago will sound like a naval battle. Polis don’t bother, and I can’t blame them. 

22 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

They won’t. And it’d need to be countrywide anyway. Fireworks are illegal in Illinois but as soon as you go over the border to Indiana or Wisconsin you’re met with fireworks shops; some of them even have advertising billboards before you’re across the state line. Next week’s Mexican Independence Day so Chicago will sound like a naval battle. Polis don’t bother, and I can’t blame them. 

I was just thinking about the Chicago/Indiana gun issue, you can ban ‘happening’ but you cant prevent supply if its not banned universally. The shields is genuinely treacherous on bonfire night but i cant see this legislation doing anything tbh. 

On 09/09/2024 at 21:00, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It's only been illegal to set off a firework in the street since 1875, so I'm sure that the police will enforce the new powers just as rigorously.

As you apprar to suggest, a ban on sales (and one public display by fireworks professionals) is the answer.