Ben Doak

Gordopolis

Fucking hell, he's only 17 and he looks absolutely brilliant already. I'm not normally one to get hyped up (lies) but he'll be in the senior Scotland squad before the year is out. Marvellous wee player.

He's definitely one to get excited about IMO. He clearly has world class potential, I think he's one of the best 17 year old players around at the moment. I certainly can't think of any others off the top of my head that are making an impact at first team level at an elite club the way he is. It's still a long journey from where he is to regular first team football for club and country, but he's well on the way. Be good to see him get a first senior cap before the end of the year. 

Liverpool have strength in depth in their forward positions (Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Jota, Gakpo) so don't see Doak being anywhere near a regular personally and at best 6th choice. If he can improve on the number of first team minutes he played in last year (less than 90 minutes) then that'll be progress and if he plays up to 10 first team games that could be enough to see a call up similar to when Patterson and Gilmour were called up. 

Not raving over performances in pre-season friendlies is hard I know, but it's classic hype and borderline embarrassing so I'd avoid that personally.

Edited by 2426255

7 hours ago, velo army said:

Fucking hell, he's only 17 and he looks absolutely brilliant already. I'm not normally one to get hyped up (lies) but he'll be in the senior Scotland squad before the year is out. Marvellous wee player.

That was a very disappointing watch. 90% of that was passing backwards, or losing the ball.

He looks ahead of his years for sure but you see just from that clip what he still needs to work on. What's encouraging is his confidence and determination to get on the ball, attacking wide players can sometimes fall in and out of games but he doesn't seem to hide. His technique is excellent too, just that final ball or picking the right pass that he still needs to figure out. Really exciting player to have coming through though and I trust Steve Clarke to integrate him at the right time. 

I think its really exciting to have someone in that position. You can obviously never guarantee a youngster ends up doing anything, but the way he's talked about by Klopp and the clips you see it's hard not to get carried away sometimes. If he gets a good (10+ games) run of first team games and performs well, either at Liverpool or on loan, then it's maybe time to start thinking about him getting in the squad but still far too soon imo. 

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

There's nothing wrong with his final ball. There's at least 2 fairly good crosses in that tiny compilation of 45 minutes.

Anyway not a chance he gets into the Scotland squad in the next 12 months imo. Clarke won't pick him if he's not playing regularly.

He has previously shown he is willing to do similar with Gilmour and Patterson. 

If he gets some game time, I think there’s a chance - he also adds real pace which we don’t really have in the midfield areas 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He has previously shown he is willing to do similar with Gilmour and Patterson. 

If he gets some game time, I think there’s a chance - he also adds real pace which we don’t really have in the midfield areas 

I think of him more in terms of the support forward roles than midfield. An exciting alternative to Christie/Armstrong in the future hopefully 

2 minutes ago, MyNameIsClarence said:

I think of him more in terms of the support forward roles than midfield. An exciting alternative to Christie/Armstrong in the future hopefully 

Yeah - that was what I meant by midfield tbf. 

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Liverpool have strength in depth in their forward positions (Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Jota, Gakpo) so don't see Doak being anywhere near a regular personally and at best 6th choice.

If he’s 6th choice for a front 3, he’s going to get plenty of fitba. He’d probably make the bench most weeks and get some starts in the three cup competitions.

Personally, whatever happens this season, I’m ready to call it already - this kid will be a star.

Sometimes you don’t need to see much - like with Gilmour - it’s obvious almost immediately.

Just had a look through the accies1874 archives and the last winger to make their debut for Scotland was Chris Cadden in 2018. He, Lewis Morgan and Jamie Murphy all made their debuts that year and got a combined total of six caps.

2017 was a lot more fruitful with Armstrong, Christie and Fraser, but that's a long time waiting for someone like Doak or Mebude to come along so hopefully they're up to it. 

I don’t think we really need to worry about Scotland fans getting over hyped on this guy - there seems to be plenty of Liverpool fans and journalists doing that already!

It seems that Klopp really rates him, though, calling him the future to Andy Robertson’s present of Scottish football. I hope that means that he’ll get some decent first team minutes this season and if he does, I’d imagine he’d have a very good chance of a slot at the euros. How he’s played in the remaining preseason games for them should give us a decent idea of his status in the first team for the season ahead.

The way I see it there is maybe one space for another #10 type player in the National team, but Steve Clarke can afford to be picky and so players such as Ben Doak, Ryan Gauld, David Turnbull and Ryan Fraser are probably all competing for that. We've routinely just taken Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Christie and John McGinn and supplemented that with Scott McTominay and Callum McGregor in recent camps which has been good so it's not like there's any urgency to do anything.

I could see Doak getting a call up - even this calendar year, but more in the mold of future proofing the team than anything else at the moment until he manages to get more regular club football.

Timing couldn't really be better with Liverpool in the Europa League this year. They'll surely be playing a b team for the majority of the group stage if not the whole thing.

If he can make an impact and add a few goals and assists in time for Salah leaving for the AFCON, you could be looking at a breakout season for sure