Morton V QP

On 09/02/2023 at 10:12, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’m quite surprised at Morton fans thinking that a) they have a decent chance of winning and b) it’ll get them back on track.

Our team is significantly improved since the first game and Morton’s hoofball prowess won’t work this time. We have numerous players who can score. We attack swiftly and in numbers. Our shutouts in the last 3 months are formidable. Defence is solid. Anything’s possible of course but the probable is heavily stacked against you.

As for “getting back on track”, if you lose does that mean the wheels are off the bogey?

👋

GIRFUY 

Can’t really say anything more other than disappointment. To go from a really solid and efficient performance against Ayr to a very naive and error prone performance within the space of a week was incredibly deflating. You could say we began to look ourselves again the last 20 minutes but you don’t deserve to win games of football when you’ve been rotten for the previous 70. 

We’ve lost to Morton twice now and there’s been no argument in either defeat. We were soft all over the place, never tried to impose ourselves and ultimately you could see the players become visibly frustrated but we played right into Morton’s hand. 

Calum Ferrie has had a fantastic season so far but there’s just no place to hide for him today. I could just about accept that first goal but it’s just sheer headloss for the 2nd. No need to start dribbling the ball in that area, just boot it anywhere. 

I’ve been really impressed with Morton against us this season. Despite Oakley scoring twice, Muirhead once again bullied the backline and his deliveries were excellent. Baird won everything that came at him and Quitongo was always threatening running 1v1. 

Maybe time to freshen the lineup now. McPake flatters to deceive far too often and Thomson maybe needs a game or 2 on the bench? Davidson certainly added a freshness in midfield and Healy looks a really promising young player out wide. Needs to bulk up so wouldn’t start him yet but would like to see Euan Henderson on the left next Friday

On 09/02/2023 at 11:12, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’m quite surprised at Morton fans thinking that a) they have a decent chance of winning and b) it’ll get them back on track.

Our team is significantly improved since the first game and Morton’s hoofball prowess won’t work this time. We have numerous players who can score. We attack swiftly and in numbers. Our shutouts in the last 3 months are formidable. Defence is solid. Anything’s possible of course but the probable is heavily stacked against you.

As for “getting back on track”, if you lose does that mean the wheels are off the bogey?

Gutted for you mate *

* not really

Second best all over the park. Can’t make the errors Ferrie did or defend the way we did and win games of football. Reaction to going 3-1 down was decent, but still didn’t really create much. Taking Thomas off was a rare moment of insanity from Coyle. Every game we’ve lost, we’ve been bullied. 

Can’t criticise the players too much. Been excellent all season and results like that are going to happen when you’re not on it. We’ve generally reacted well to defeats, so hopefully same again.

A game we wouldn’t have been playing in competent circumstances, and I see Inverness won. Still got a £100 hole in my pocket and zero response from the club. Not feeling particularly inclined to “move on” yet.

So it turns out our first goal was neither offside or a foul on Ferrie. 

Didn't realise at the time that Oakley showed a decent bit of composure to make sure he got the shot away for his second. Very unlucky not to get his hattrick as well with the one off the post. 

Muirhead will be disappointed with the free header and the one on one he missed. We need to keep him scoring consistently to keep his confidence up so hopefully he can bang in a couple next week. 

8 hours ago, qpfc said:

Maybe time to freshen the lineup now. McPake flatters to deceive far too often and Thomson maybe needs a game or 2 on the bench? Davidson certainly added a freshness in midfield and Healy looks a really promising young player out wide. 

McPake was our biggest threat first half I thought, I think he has enough money in the bank to keep his spot. I agree Thomson is on the 'chopping block' but just don't think we have enough quality on the bench to switch him out? Jake Davidson doesn't have enough quality on the ball to be a centre mid in this league imo. 

We've a couple decent fixtures now, I say we stick with the guys who have done so well for these next two and reassess for our next game against Morton. Would like to see what Henderson and Shields can do up top together for that game as they both definitely have the physicality to match them - I think. 

41 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Didn't realise at the time that Oakley showed a decent bit of composure to make sure he got the shot away for his second. Very unlucky not to get his hattrick as well with the one off the post. 

Was very impressed with Oakley before he tired a wee bit, will be interested to see how he does for yous in games where you might have a bit more of the ball. He's an absolute unit and was a bit of a battering ram at times

Performance was night and day from the Arbroath game. After a slow start we got in their faces and deserved to be ahead at the break. Had chances to put the game out of sight - that was a very nervy last 20 minutes. 

Oakley, having thawed out from his time in the frozen wastes, looks to be a real find. Pleased to see others mention Blues - I thought he had a great game, although the team in general were sound all over the park, particularly Grimshaw and Waters.

There were a number of fans taking issue with Imrie not subbing Quitongo, when he had clearly indicated he wanted to stay on (looked to be cramp in the end). My only worry was that he was on a booking.

17 hours ago, QPFC67 said:

We were the better team and then they just switched off after the 1st goal (100% a foul) and then we're sleeping again for the 2nd

More accurately, you were decent for the first 15 minutes or so. And in the LAST 15 minutes or so.

And the highlights confirm that there was nothing wrong with the first goal.

Apart from that, good post!  😁  👍

16 hours ago, Skeletar Spider said:

It is a slight on Williamson in the sense that Thomas is a much better player than him, and would have offered us much more. Badly missed his delivery from set pieces, we had about 400 corners in the second half but barely put one threatening ball into the box.

You had 12 (TWELVE) in the entire game.

Meanwhile we await Owen Coyle’s apology for his insistence that  Oakley’s first goal came after a foul. But nobody’s holding their breath.

I am disappointed that Henderson did not get a game. He would bring more weight and speed to our attack than McPake who looks good on the ball but when you really think about it he does not come up with the goods. It was one of those games which no matter what we did it was not going to come off. Ferrie was fairly beaten for the first but where was any backup for him? Second was a split second decision which on this occasion did not work for him. We would have been cheering all the way home if it had come off. He made two other game saving saves so I do not think we need to worry about him. I still shudder at some of our defending in the box. Too often the opposition get a free shot. Fox has lost some of his sharpness from last season. All said and done we were never going to win every game and we need to bounce back quickly. I do not think the next three games are easy at all but if we should win them we will be sitting pretty at the top. No time for despondency.

4 hours ago, an86 said:

Every game we’ve lost, we’ve been bullied. 

What does that mean? You’re the only side in the division who set out to play the beautiful game every week? The only way you can possible lose a match is if your opponents consist of 11 bullies who are bigger and nastier than your eleven players? Your manager can’t adapt to different opponents’ playing styles? Please explain.

25 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

What does that mean? You’re the only side in the division who set out to play the beautiful game every week? The only way you can possible lose a match is if your opponents consist of 11 bullies who are bigger and nastier than your eleven players? Your manager can’t adapt to different opponents’ playing styles? Please explain.

What a state to get yourself into after three points. I was suggesting a possible weakness in our squad when we play against more physical sides. Don’t really see how that’s a slight against opponents.