The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

Saw him do one man show at the Festival years back. First 45 mins or so was in the Sir Les Patterson persona, then after a short scene and costume change, he did a monologue of some sort which was actually quite moving, then after the intermission it was about an hour and a bit of Dame Edna. Guy was a force of nature, although in later years I think he was outed as some kind of bigot? 

17 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Mark Stewart, singer and founder member of The Pop Group has died aged 62

I loved their experimental album Y which was released 44 years ago this week.

This thread isn’t really the place for the lengthy eulogy that I’ve posted on other social media, but Mark was not only a inspiration - The Pop Group’s ‘She is Beyond Good and Evil’, which I bought when I was still at school, still stands up as not only one of the best late ‘70s post punk singles, but as one of the best of any period or genre IMO - but he was a good friend for over 35 years. I promoted gigs with Mark Stewart & The Maffia many times, including just last year in Edinburgh and Glasgow at the O-U Sound 40th birthday bashes, and put on The Pop Group at The Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh in 2014, and Mark stayed at my place on several occasions. Not only a brilliant songwriter and front man, he was hugely entertaining, funny, fiercely intelligent, full of mischief and great company. Rest in Peace, Mark.

2 hours ago, Eednud said:

A special day, my first ever Dead Pool points! 

Thoughts and prayers, a sad loss etc etc...

10 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Saw him do one man show at the Festival years back. First 45 mins or so was in the Sir Les Patterson persona, then after a short scene and costume change, he did a monologue of some sort which was actually quite moving, then after the intermission it was about an hour and a bit of Dame Edna. Guy was a force of nature, although in later years I think he was outed as some kind of bigot? 

Trump fan, transphobe and nonce defender - https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blogs/tim-blair/friends/news-story/12380aa902df3f5d5c225b005a3f4527