The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

I know, but it’s a fascinating concept. Did get me wondering, surely there’s been at least a double point incident in Deadpool history…someone must have gotten lucky.

I'd be very surprised if someone's scored multiple points for the same incident. Maybe multiple hits on the same day, but not the same thing.

Most multiple-death incidents involving celebrities would be either vehicle crashes (Buddy Holly, Man United, Lynyrd Skynyrd) or possibly terrorism/assassinations (Milk/Moscone shootings or the 1984 Brighton bombing). The victims of these tend not to be noticeably moribund so it's unlikely they'd even have had individual picks, let alone multiple ones. The closest I can think of since P&B Started would be the Smolensk Air disaster of 2010 which had multiple Polish political bigwigs on it.

41 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I'd be very surprised if someone's scored multiple points for the same incident. Maybe multiple hits on the same day, but not the same thing.

Most multiple-death incidents involving celebrities would be either vehicle crashes (Buddy Holly, Man United, Lynyrd Skynyrd) or possibly terrorism/assassinations (Milk/Moscone shootings or the 1984 Brighton bombing). The victims of these tend not to be noticeably moribund so it's unlikely they'd even have had individual picks, let alone multiple ones. The closest I can think of since P&B Started would be the Smolensk Air disaster of 2010 which had multiple Polish political bigwigs on it.

Yea, the likelihood of two moderately near enough to death to be named by a player people on the same plane/train/automobile is pretty slim. I figured as much, maybe if one of the immortals (Jimmy Carter, for instance) was meeting someone ill we could potentially score if they went out to lunch…

28 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I still regret not having JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald in the same year. I stupidly dropped the latter in favor(sic) of MLK Jr. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I know, but it’s a fascinating concept. Did get me wondering, surely there’s been at least a double point incident in Deadpool history…someone must have gotten lucky.

A few years ago I picked John Nash the mathematician, he died in a car crash along with his wife but I had not picked her, unfortunately, but I doubt she would have made the fame criteria unless it was Jennifer Connelly who played his wife in A Beautiful Mind!!

42 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

If there was a nuclear attack on Scotland, think of all the points you would get.

Exciting!

I suppose we'd still have the Oz lot, the US lot, Slippery and Div in his nuclear bunker under St Mirren's ground

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Not an incident as such but the Dead Poolers of yesteryear might have been intrigued by Stalin and Prokofiev dying on the same day and Aldous Huxley and CS Lewis on the same day as JFK

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Not an incident as such but the Dead Poolers of yesteryear might have been intrigued by Stalin and Prokofiev dying on the same day and Aldous Huxley and CS Lewis on the same day as JFK

A late 70's Cambodia based Deadpool would have been a 'happy time'. Assuming you were a barely literate peasant and not some fancy pants teacher or nurse.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Also John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, and I figure that there ought to be bonus points for them (and James Monroe) for choosing United States Independence Day to die on.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Stalin and Prokofiev dying on the same day

The leading Soviet music journal devoted almost the whole of its next issue to Stalin, with Prokofiev getting a brief mention on the last page.

How about Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson? The joke at the time was that when she arrived at the Pearly Gates she wished for all the children of the world to be safe forever. A few hours later...

42 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Be fascinating to see the types of Deaths which i assume are in single figures.  Ie not old age, illness, suicide, drugs, car crashes etc.

What do we have for Murder etc ?

Fairly sure the year I won it I had Marieke verVoort; it caused a minor skirmish with Miguel about her cause of death at the time but I got awarded the points based on suicide. Probably the difference that tipped me to the title. Happy days. 

Edited by alta-pete

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Fairly sure the year I won it I had Marieke verVoort; it caused a minor skirmish with Miguel about her cause of death at the time but I got awarded the points based on suicide. Probably the difference that tipped me to the title. Happy days. 

I think that was based on the famous for being ill premise. An interesting discussion but not one that's going to come up a lot.

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think that was based on the famous for being ill premise. An interesting discussion but not one that's going to come up a lot.

Vervoort was a gold-medal paralympic athlete; the discussion was that you made a joke that (legal) euthanasia was neither murder nor suicide, and therefore it was a 'natural causes' death; that worried some people!

You sure you're not thinking of Deborah James, where there was, IIRC, two 'famous for being ill' debates, one at the start of the year, and another when she died?

Edited by Aim Here

5 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Vervoort was a gold-medal paralympic athlete; the discussion was that you made a joke that (legal) euthanasia was neither murder nor suicide, and therefore it was a 'natural causes' death; that worried some people!

You sure you're not thinking of Deborah James, where there was, IIRC, two 'famous for being ill' debates, one at the start of the year, and another when she died?

Hmm, so it was.

On 23/10/2019 at 18:01, Miguel Sanchez said:

Belgian citizen, euthanasia legal in Belgium, no bonus imo

I think there might have been someone else who was disabled who I joked/mused was famous for being ill. 

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Yevgeny Prigozhin making a move for Deadpool immortality. Wondering how a defenestration would be assessed now?

"He was badly injured when he fell out of a third-floor window. He died ten minutes later after falling out of a sixth-floor window."