Scottish Budget Day

ICTChris

5 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

...If you have lived in any of the myriad of shitehole commuter belt towns in Kent or Surrey, with an up to 3 hour commute either end and where the best you can do is a 2 bed shoe box then a 3 bed detached in Alloa is comparative paradise. 

Choosing Alloa for this analogy seems a bit bizarre given the other possibilities that are available that sort of distance from Edinburgh. Nothing says salubrious stockbroker belt quite like Bowhouse.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

All I can say is he asked HR and they said no. Guess I'd take that over a quick google search, but that's just me.

Maybe your HR people are as clueless as your academics.  Or maybe they just find it easier to say no.

On a wider point, and I talk through personal experience though somewhat different from your colleague, tax status is based on where someone is domiciled.  Anyone spending 183 days or more in a tax year domiciled in England would be deemed to be a tax resident of England.

Had a good laugh reading the Sun in work today with one of their "And How Does This Tax Rise Affect These Handpicked And Totally Not Fabricated Persons?"

A "model" and "dancer" who earns "£250,000" a year was complaining about the government taking money because they don't do anything with it. Never let it be said that the country doesn't have the government it deserves.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Had a good laugh reading the Sun in work today with one of their "And How Does This Tax Rise Affect These Handpicked And Totally Not Fabricated Persons?"

A "model" and "dancer" who earns "£250,000" a year was complaining about the government taking money because they don't do anything with it. Never let it be said that the country doesn't have the government it deserves.

Onlyfans?

The Sun is usually one big advert for Onlyfans so I wouldn't be surprised.

59 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It’s probably an Edinburgh lap dancer, she’ll need to find a new career soon as the council are banning strip clubs.

57 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Onlyfans?

The Sun is usually one big advert for Onlyfans so I wouldn't be surprised.

I've just noticed that. On my phone, Google's started giving me recommendations to Sun articles with titles like "people say my tits are too big, but posting scud pics on OnlyFans has boosted my confidence" or "I'm a 5 in my work clothes, but my subscribers say I'm a 10 with a banana shoved up my arse". Can't imagine why they'd think that kind of thing would be of any interest to me.

Has the physical newspaper gone the same way? That's basically what the Sunday Sport was.

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Apparently not. he did ask and was told no.

Sorry - that’s bollocks. I work 3/4 days a week in England for an English company but I’m a Scottish taxpayer.  It works the other way too.  No way on what you describe that he is a Scottish taxpayer.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

All I can say is he asked HR and they said no. Guess I'd take that over a quick google search, but that's just me.

You trust HR? In my last job I found out they'd been paying under the minimum holiday pay and they had to dole out back pay to everyone affected.

^^^Hero for 5 minutes

11 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Fucking hell, are we actually at the point of vilifying say a single parent senior nurse with two kids?

£45K is not a large salary and sums like that should be kept well out of the conversation when talking about high earners.

Nobody is vilifying anybody.

However it should be easily manageable to live on that salary and mange the extra 6.67 a month they will be paying per month as part of the social contract.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Nobody is vilifying anybody.

However it should be easily manageable to live on that salary and mange the extra 6.67 a month they will be paying per month as part of the social contract.

I agree. However, regarding the NHS, at some point they are going to need to address some of the issues facing it rather than just relying on increasing taxes. 

9 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I agree. However, regarding the NHS, at some point they are going to need to address some of the issues facing it rather than just relying on increasing taxes. 

The majority of the issues with the NHS are related to underfunding,  how do you address that without taxes?

12 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I completely agree with this.  Which is why we need a fat surcharge/health discount applied to a higher rate of income tax - based on an annual BMI reading.

The public health lobby want to tax and phase out consumption, which is both massively regressive and doesn't actually address the issue of funding existing treatment.

'Build the NHS and make fatties pay for it' has no such issue. The fewer fatties; the less tax surplus is produced and also needed to support their (literal) everyday burden on the health system. 

No doubt there'll be some body-building key worker cruelly robbed by such a policy, but an adult society should be willing to overlook that. 

Edited by vikingTON