The race to administration.............

21 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

One of them is us.  The club were advised to go into administration in September but chose not to.  I alluded to this a few weeks ago but the local press know all about this but have been told personally by Gardiner that if there is any negative reporting from the club finances that access to the club will be cut.

You couldn't have a better man at the helm.

Well maybe you could now I think about it.

In fact you could pick anyone alive that would be better. Someone from an undiscovered tribe could do better.

Well, we’re pretty happy with ICT, Raith and Hamilton, plus a joker from Partick, Dundee, Cove, Queen’s Park, comprising four of the nine…too bad they don’t break the others divisions out by number of distressed clubs…but we can figure some candidates:

Premiership: DU seems to always be a possibility…

League One: Falkirk, no brainer…Clyde seem a bit wobbly…possibly Peterhead…

League Two: East Fife wouldn’t be a surprise…

Thistle no longer had a benefactor as such and the BoD didn't put in any money as far as I'm aware before they shipped out. 

The BoD incurred a £200,000 operational loss to support the manager last season. So that could be perceived as financial distress bur we still had cash in the bank when our accounts were published earlier in the season. 

I'd be surprised if we broke even this season without promotion bur I'd say that could be applied to Dundee, ICT, Ayr and Raith. 

Arbroath have money in the bank and Cove have a wealthy benefactor and seem well run to the casual observer.

Hamilton could be anything. Supposedly had cash in the bank not long ago. 

Morton being fan run will have a budget the BoD will look to stick too. They gor some investment around start of the season so may even be in a position to add to their playing staff abd/ or offer new deals to some players.

Queens Park also have a wealthy benefactor and what's left of the SFA cash. They do seem to be making a pig's ear of putting Lesser Hampden together but I'd doubt if they have budgeted for promotion this season but who knows for sure.

All the clubs will be feeling some form of financial distress (apart from Arbroath) due to various factors, from infrastructure costs, wage bills, drops in revenue and performing below expectations.  

15 minutes ago, third lanark said:

If Falkirk are going to be signing several players from Kelty as a few of their fans suggested then that doesn’t sound like a team struggling financially.

Can’t be Morton either drawn Celtic in the cup with to coverage probably guaranteed £200,000 or so from that game 

Falkirk have an announced £600,000 budget hole…just saying…

45 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

One of them is us.  The club were advised to go into administration in September but chose not to.  I alluded to this a few weeks ago but the local press know all about this but have been told personally by Gardiner that if there is any negative reporting from the club finances that access to the club will be cut.

So the local press are allowing themselves to be bullied by Gardiner?

That's a disgrace. IMO.

5 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

So the local press are allowing themselves to be bullied by Gardiner?

That's a disgrace. IMO.

Paul Chalk alluded to this when he was on The Wyness Shuffle podcast (without mentioning the financial stuff).  Amazingly we have a section of fans who hang on Gardiner's every word.  I guess some people are very impressed by business-speak.

I'd be surprised if its us.

We're about to embark on building a new stand. We are getting much better off the field and have a wealthy fan as Chairman who signs the cheques.

Hamilton, ICT & Raith seem obvious (admittedly Raith is if you believe Sim?). I have no idea who the other one is though.

Distress is doing a lot of heavy lifting. Given it talks about balance sheet analysis I guess they have looked at the net asset position worsening. Maybe some clubs have slipped to a net liability position and on paper are insolvent?

3 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Paul Chalk alluded to this when he was on The Wyness Shuffle podcast (without mentioning the financial stuff).  Amazingly we have a section of fans who hang on Gardiner's every word.  I guess some people are very impressed by business-speak.

Hope it works out, nothing against ICT but the Sevco 'gruesome twosome' are a horrendous pair.

33 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Falkirk have an announced £600,000 budget hole…just saying…

They're also trying to flog ten year season tickets to their chump fanbase though, so nothing untoward with that financial planning. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

They're also trying to flog ten year season tickets to their chump fanbase though, so nothing untoward with that financial planning. 

10 year season tickets? That's not a good sign...

stoned puppet GIF

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If ICT go tits up get Scott Gardiner in, he's  the man for that job.

We've got Graeme Mathie. We also want some seats in our stand!

18 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Raith seem obvious (admittedly Raith is if you believe Sim?). I have no idea who the other one is though.

According to our Chairman in a rambling interview, we might need to sell some players, except we might not need to. There's a lot of expensive deferred maintenance on the stadium, but it's just a few small jobs. And our financial outlook is bleak, but we have a good chance of breaking even. 

The rambling, contradictory nature of his statement, coupled with the suddeness of Sim being open to offers is what convinces me that we are fucked. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

According to our Chairman in a rambling interview, we might need to sell some players, except we might not need to. There's a lot of expensive deferred maintenance on the stadium, but it's just a few small jobs. And our financial outlook is bleak, but we have a good chance of breaking even. 

The rambling, contradictory nature of his statement, coupled with the suddeness of Sim being open to offers is what convinces me that we are fucked. 

Telling everyone you're skint is not how I would drum up good fees for your players right enough.

Actually who is even a saleable asset in your squad that clubs would pay actual, real money for?

Edited by GiGi

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Is that portacabin you dumped out the back not yielding millions yet?

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Telling everyone you're skint is not how I would drum up good fees for your players right enough.

Actually who is even a saleable asset in your squad that clubs would pay actual, real money for?

Sim's sales pitch also mentioned we lose an average of £150k a year. Genius. 

The only players that might gather a fee are Stanton and Ross. The latter has been poor this season and Aberdeen will get about 60% of any fee anyway. 

33 minutes ago, GiGi said:

They could probably melt down the Faroese lad for a few hundred kilos of glue. All their (in my opinion) best players are 27-29 years old.

As for Thistle, I think we're OK for now but I'm hoping the internal MI has been or will very shortly be given a good look as I very much got the impression the old board were bumming things up in the published accounts which obviously contain little detail. As mentioned, we effectively lost £200k last year and that was with QP paying us rent. We've got enough of a buffer in the short term but the current spend on playing squad is unsustainable over a longer term.