Raith Rovers Vs Dundee FC - 06/01/23

Just now, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

Sweeney having a nightmare. Panics and hoofs every time he gets the ball.

Midfield is the real issue - they keep passing it back so the only option is to hoof it up.

Max Anderson is a waste of a shirt, McGhee and Byrne either foul or just pass the ball 5 yards back or sideways.

McMullan - despite the miss, is the only one who looks like he could do something.

McGhee has done nothing, other than passing the ball back to the keeper.  He looks like a defender being asked to play in midfield.  I wonder why?  Especially bemusing as Sweeney is still taking up a place in defence.

Also, I see Byrne’s name is in the starting 11.  Who took his place, as I assume he got injured in the warm up?  

1 minute ago, rainbowrising said:

Said it many times, Rudden is Championship level at best. Offers little although "works hard" seems to get a big tick in this division.  One of many Championship or lower players in this squad.

"Does a power of work" - Some bloke on BBC Scotland 

4 minutes ago, The Master said:

Regardless, a defender off the pitch without the referee’s permission is considered to be on the goal line or touch line.

I did think that, but couldn't remember for sure.

I thought it was funny when watching the replay back just how many players left him onside and unmarked. 

We've been better than I expected, although it's still clear as day that we lack a proper striker. We need to get Jamie Gullan one of those shock collars, and set it to go off any time he goes wider than the span of the box. He never stops running and he stretches the defence but it's of very little use when it leaves us with nobody in the middle to take advantage. He needs to leave the dropping off and roaming to Vaughan, who's better suited to it. 

The left hand side of our defence has coped well, but largely thanks to Rudden inexplicably deciding to pick on Lang instead of Nolan. We got away with one we shouldn't have when McMullan went through, but limiting Dundee to just that and the in-swinging freekick is a solid 45 minutes. 

Second half we'll need more of the same, pushing Dundee back into their own third and upping the pressure until something goes for us, but that's really been the case for all of our games this season. I dread to think where we'd be if Connolly wasn't on such sharp form. 

2 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

What a quality game so far. We should be up at least 4 if we took our chances. Dundee look dangerous too. Hope we haven’t used all that valuable energy for the second half. 

You've remembered 3 more chances than I thought you had.  Raith were clearly the better team but did very little with it in the final third.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Take Ashcroft off, drop McGhee back. Put Osei on, play with Byrne and Anderson (or swap for Robertson) in the middle. McMullan to 10. Osei on for Ashcroft and straight up top.

Absolutely no need to have the midfield and attack so far apart.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You've remembered 3 more chances than I thought you had.  Raith were clearly the better team but did very little with it in the final third.

That’s what I mean, we’ve had some good balls put into the box. But no takers. So in a sense you’re right.