Super Ayr Utd v Arbroath

Just now, AuAl said:

Aye tbh I think it probably would have been dealt with by the keeper had he not diverted it into the corner of the net.

I know luck evens itself out, and we had more than our fair share last season, but by f**k we’ve had none this season.

As per usual, when we actually get it down and pass it we get forward, however why we kept punting it up the park today, particularly in the second half I’ll never know. 

We should have been home and dry (maybe not dry) after the first half with some real good chances, and also with some good chances before their first goal. Albison made a cracking save in the first half to keep it 0-0. 

Our second goal was definitely an own goal, massive deflection off the head of the Arbroath player. 

I’ll absolutely take the point with those conditions, and I’m looking forward to the cup next weekend. 

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

I know luck evens itself out, and we had more than our fair share last season, but by f**k we’ve had none this season.

Aye, it was games like today that I found very frustrating in the previous two seasons while we were struggling. You find a way to get back into the game, take the lead, only for the points to disappear before the final whistle.

For what it's worth, I really hope Arbroath can find a way to motor up the league away from trouble. Would much rather you lot stay up than others.

That game should never have been played today IMO, penalty farce summed it up and i'm surprised the ref never abandoned it there and then. 

Still at least we didn't manage to lose it which looked a real possibility at one point. 

28 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

We played QP at home on 23rd December and they were brilliant when playing against the strong wind. Thought we had a chance of getting something out of the game at half time but they played us off the park in the second half. Fast, passing, dynamic football and, importantly, they kept the ball ON THE FUCKING GROUND.

Beggars belief how thick players and especially managers are.

Have you not become accustomed to the DC/Arbroath style of play yet?!

The most enjoyable part of that game was watching DC get himself sent off. I was on the North Terrace and just knew once he got the yellow he would be sent to the stand. What a seethe. You cannot question his passion. 

Referee was god awful. Looks about 12. DRoss bearly kept up with play. 

Wind ruined the game. Although all the players were guilty of launching it long into the wind. WTF? Keep it on the fucking deck. 

We really missed Murdoch.

Ashford did his usual, give away stupid fouls and generally nothing useful.

All told, I'll take a point. At 2-1 I thought we had fucked it. Especially with Mullen's two good opportunities missed. QP drawing and Morton losing makes it feel like an okay draw. 

2 minutes ago, Seeker said:

It was like watching kids chase a balloon. 🎈

Ayr fans in the uncovered terracing braving the elements in the hailstorm gets my mom award

I accept the award with grace. It takes worse than that to move us Spartans!

Edited by Trogdor

A draw was definitely a fair result, we didn't do enough when we had the wind behind us and for some reason seemed afraid to shoot at goal. The penalty was definitely a penalty but was a tad fortunate as JML appeared to stumble just before the challenge which actually caused the Arbroath player to mistime his tackle which ended up in a trip.

Arbroath deserved to go ahead in the 2nd but we showed resilience to get the equaliser in the tough conditions.

I thought the Arbroath #25 had an excellent game and looked the best player on the pitch but in all honesty the game should never have been played but it's another decent point on the board for both of us and saves having to play another midweek game, so all in all happy enough....

Just now, Smokerson said:

Thought the referee was really really bad. Shocking

I could not believe your player didn’t get a red after the penalty. He went right up to the referee’s face and put his hands on his chest. Only a yellow for borderline assault on an official? The Dick Campbell red was probably the highlight of the match.

That was a hard watch today. Even if you had travelled from north of Arbroath today at a cost of hundreds, you wouldn’t have complained if that had been stopped at some point.

Ayr had most of the play in the first half due to the wind but probably created less chances than Arbroath. Ayr got a penalty that looked very soft to say the least. 
During the 9 attempts to take the penalty, I think the referee should have stopped the game. Before Ayr scored and it caused a complication. It had became a farce by that point.

All credit to Dempsey for scoring it though after all that. 

The referee was pretty poor and his over dramatic gestures annoyed more than informed the crowd and players. There was a bad tackle on McKenzie in the corner and a bad tackle by McCallister in front of the Arbroath fans that he ignored. 

Arbroath used the wind better and knew how to hem us in during the second half, we were poor and continued our run of creating very little chances.