Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?  

306 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Reckon we will need a minimum 12 new players again this summer, more if Duk or Miovski move on.

Goalkeeper x 1

Full back x 2

Central defenders x 3/4

Central midfielders x 3

Wide Midfielders x 2/3

Striker x 1

Which is exactly why we should not appoint a rookie as manager.

37 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Tbh, given where Wilder has ended up, I’d be very surprised if he was genuinely interested. It looks like his agent has used us to keep his name in the news whilst he can angle for a more lucrative gig.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the way Gunn’s being spoken about by a lot of our support. I get that he’s not got a playing or coaching background in the game but to suggest he’s incompetent based on a rumour like that is pretty poor imo.

We can’t rush this appointment, if it takes until the end of the season then so be it. Cormack is out of action and Burrows is just in the door. We do have a rebuild on our hands but not to the extent of last summer. Going off contracted players for next year, we’re severely lacking at centre half but several attacking options, a good GK and at least some options in midfield and at fullback. MacDonald and Shinnie signing permanently would help. We could obviously use strengthening and depth in a lot of areas but we have something to work with. Bare in mind that if we make a Europe then the first game would be 27th July at the earliest, not early July or June like we’re used to.

Are you being serious? There's about 15 players leaving/out of contract. How is that not on the same scale as last summer? It's even more important based on how poor last summer actually turned out to be. 

Gunn being poor at his job has nothing to do with him not having a coaching or playing background (which a DoF should have anyway, but that's not the point). It's not a rumour either. I'd be surprised if Gunn is still in his post come the summer tbh. He's got a stay right now because the manager's job is taking priority. Let's just say there's been a few people that have got in contact with Gunn and he's never got back to them. But Burrows did. 

Shinnie probably will sign permanently in the summer. If we want him to that is. MacDonald i'm not too sure about. This is a shop window for him. 

Just now, DunbartonshireRed said:

Are you being serious? There's about 15 players leaving/out of contract. How is that not on the same scale as last summer? It's even more important based on how poor last summer actually turned out to be. 

Gunn being poor at his job has nothing to do with him not having a coaching or playing background (which a DoF should have anyway, but that's not the point). It's not a rumour either. I'd be surprised if Gunn is still in his post come the summer tbh. He's got a stay right now because the manager's job is taking priority. Let's just say there's been a few people that have got in contact with Gunn and he's never got back to them. But Burrows did. 

Shinnie probably will sign permanently in the summer. If we want him to that is. MacDonald i'm not too sure about. This is a shop window for him. 

Going into next season, in terms of first teamers we have Roos, McCrorie, McKenzie, Ramadani, Barron, Duk, Miovski, Besuijen plus more unknown quantities or unproven players such as Morris, Roberts, Duncan, Milne, Ngwenya, Richardson. That is a lot more than we had at the end of last season and whilst it’s far from a complete squad, it gives us something to build on, particularly if we can secure MacDonald and Shinnie. We breezed through the LC groups with that lot last season and it’s you wouldn’t need to add too many bodies to be ready for a QR2 tie in the conference league.

Fair enough if you’re in the know re: Gunn. I just think a lot of the abuse is OTT and not how we should be treating a Dons man who’s worked his way through the ranks and clearly done a lot of good work for us for a number of years. He’s quite possibly been promoted further than he should but I don’t think he deserves the treatment he gets, particularly from those who’ve made up their mind on him based on very little.

Anyway, hopefully Burrows can prove his worth early on a get us the right manager in.

5 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Going into next season, in terms of first teamers we have Roos, McCrorie, McKenzie, Ramadani, Barron, Duk, Miovski, Besuijen plus more unknown quantities or unproven players such as Morris, Roberts, Duncan, Milne, Ngwenya, Richardson. That is a lot more than we had at the end of last season and whilst it’s far from a complete squad, it gives us something to build on, particularly if we can secure MacDonald and Shinnie. We breezed through the LC groups with that lot last season and it’s you wouldn’t need to add too many bodies to be ready for a QR2 tie in the conference league.

Fair enough if you’re in the know re: Gunn. I just think a lot of the abuse is OTT and not how we should be treating a Dons man who’s worked his way through the ranks and clearly done a lot of good work for us for a number of years. He’s quite possibly been promoted further than he should but I don’t think he deserves the treatment he gets, particularly from those who’ve made up their mind on him based on very little.

Anyway, hopefully Burrows can prove his worth early on a get us the right manager in.

Out of that list of contracted players you mention then Barron will likely be sold considering he's not signed an extension and he'll only have 12 months left. MacKenzie for me isn't good enough. Certainly not as a starter. I'd be surprised if both Miovski and Duk are still with us come the start of the season. I think one will be sold to help fund the rebuild (and we all know which one it'll be).

Like you say, hopefully Alan Burrows gets the job done and gets us the manager us fans deserve. 

10 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

You surely don't need to be in the know to realise Gunn is not the man?

6 minutes ago, bennett said:

Are you guys waiting for Neil Lennons tax issues to clear up in April?

Neil Lennon and Ryan Jack, this thread will be great fun.

13 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

I agree re Gunn. The only thing I’d disagree about is that he shouldn’t be getting ANY stay of execution. He should be getting replaced BEFORE the new manager comes in and let him decide who the new manager is, or at least be heavily involved in that prawcess. 

Robson has stepped up to the plate and can be trusted to hold the fort meantime, till a new DoF is appointed, then we recruit a new manager 

You never know, maybe it will be a simultaneous appointment. Brood as DoF as the Spaniard as manager? 

Edited by Afc69

1 hour ago, Afc69 said:

I agree re Gunn. The only thing I’d disagree about is that he shouldn’t be getting ANY stay of execution. He should be getting replaced BEFORE the new manager comes in and let him decide who the new manager is, or at least be heavily involved in that prawcess. 

Robson has stepped up to the plate and can be trusted to hold the fort meantime, till a new DoF is appointed, then we recruit a new manager 

You never know, maybe it will be a simultaneous appointment. Brood as DoF as the Spaniard as manager? 

I agree that he should be going now. But the club will look at appoint the new manager first and foremost. Then i think in the summer we'll find Gunn moved back to his old role. 

The new manager might also have suggestions for DoF candidates. Especially if it's an overseas manager. He'll know people from leagues he's worked in. I'd rather have a DoF the manager knows he can work with.

2 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

What happens if Scotland qualify?

The upcoming Scotland qualifiers I should have said, and perhaps even June's as well.

Would explain why Aberdeen are taking so long and why they're happy to keep Robson in interim charge if it means getting their man.

11 minutes ago, Dunty said:

The upcoming Scotland qualifiers I should have said, and perhaps even June's as well.

Would explain why Aberdeen are taking so long and why they're happy to keep Robson in interim charge if it means getting their man.

I cant see him chucking Scotland if we have a chance of qualifying

21 minutes ago, Dunty said:

I mean, Cormack having heart surgery and Burrows only just in the door as chief executive seems like a more plausible explanation as to why they're taking their time but each to their own.