The Lockdown Years

Final years of Uni. Spent a lot time working on final projects and exam prep while placements were all cancelled.

Abiding memories are working on dissertation, then sleeping, then working on dissertation, then sleeping. When that died down it was just watching football (if it was on), binging TV Shows, and trying to get job interviews.

Crazy time. Mostly shite. Although I've come out of it all okay compared to some people i knew, who appear to have turned into mad raving lunatics on most subjects. They probably would have went that way anyway, lockdowns just drove them to it earlier. Maybe that's a good thing, I now know not to keep in touch.

Have deliberately avoided the covid thread. 

Edited by AuAl

My girls becoming familiar faces to my colleagues because of their videoconference photobombing antics.

The brittle tension in the air during the earliest shopping forays when some unmasked madman would invade your 2m space to grab a pack of bacon. 

Home schooling. “Dad, how do I do a half divided by a third?”-“ hang on I’m busy” [quickly googles dividing fractions]

Already worked from home so no change there, having both my parents at home all day was a shitter though. If one person went on a video call it fucked the wifi for everyone else. 

I have fond memories of getting pished and playing Warzone til the wee hours of the morning. The dug had never been walked so much as we all had loads of time to. 

Not getting to properly see my nephew was a shitter as he was born early on in the May. Got a few cheeky visits when weren’t strictly supposed to but looking back well worth it. 

Worked out nicely for me, was managing to save nearly a grand a month so just over a year later bought my first flat. Probably moved the timeline up by about 18 months. 

One of the highlights was doing a prank call on the missus from "Bell Street" in the early days when it was strictly one walk a day. 

"Hello Mrs Joe, this is PC Paatelainen from Bell Street police station. It has come to our attention that you have been taking more than the regulated one walk per day. 

Now Mrs Joe, we understand that you are a registered person with SSSC etc etc

Like comic joe I watched minder (apart from the ones without Terry), the professionals, the prisoner and even Dempsey and Makepeace. Never got to do a home haircut which felt like missing out.

Walking and cycling on golf courses was strangely pleasing but no fishing was a kunt.

Watching fitba with no crowds and being able to hear every shout was ok for a while.

38 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

One of the highlights was doing a prank call on the missus from "Bell Street" in the early days when it was strictly one walk a day. 

"Hello Mrs Joe, this is PC Paatelainen from Bell Street police station. It has come to our attention that you have been taking more than the regulated one walk per day. 

Now Mrs Joe, we understand that you are a registered person with SSSC etc etc

DlrIty8XcAAHZQF.jpg

Worked very long hours from my bedroom and had next to f**k all in the way of leisure opportunities to take my mind off it because everything was shut. Despite being at home, I don't think I had  actually ever seen my family less. 

It was absolutely fucking shit. I hated every minute of it and was, in all honesty, in a pretty bad place mentally. It felt like I was operating in survival mode, and then when the time for a break finally came (Christmas 2020), I just felt like I couldn't enjoy it. We've moved house and I've changed jobs since, the latter of those almost certainly down to Covid as I no longer had any motivation for it. My wife was furloughed, then made redundant during lockdown, which was also pish. 

The only saving grace from the whole thing is that my daughter was too young to comprehend any of it (18 months old when it all started) and just went along with it all, blissfully unaware of what was happening. Too young to complain about not being able to do x or y, and therefore saved me having to attempt some sort of explanation of the situation. 

Loads of memories but the one that really sticks was the period of time when every second vehicle on the road was an ambulance.  It seemed to be a combination of lots of older people needing one and the fact that there was no other traffic on the roads.  Either that or I had ambulance confirmation bias.