Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it will be interesting to see a shake up of the cabinet, you would imagine people like Alasdair Allan or Stuart McMillan might get in and people like Ben McPherson, Neil Gray and Mairi McAllan get promoted.

Humza Yousef might be punted although I'm sure he would point to the fastest vaccine roll out in the UK and avoiding strike action in the NHS which hasn't been the case elsewhere.

49 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I assume it's possible to have a party leader (Black, Cherry etc) and also a First Minister (Robertson etc)?  That,  from, my PoV, would be excellent as it is bound to lead to friction.

It's more likely that it will be a current MSP, though and Angus Lounge Pass Robertson will lead himself into Europe.   And The Americas.  And Asia.   Where ever there's a freebie.

I thought you euphemistically said that they were all Celtic supporters?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

In terms of experience the best choice is Angus Robertson. I don’t think Swinney will even be a candidate. I think it’ll boil down to a youth v experience runoff, Robertson v Forbes? 

I don’t follow the Kremlinology of the SNP too closely, are there other factions who will run a candidate? Could a Westminster MP try and run, Mairi Black or Joanna Cherry?

They might but they'd have to replicate the Murphy/Dugdale intent until they could get parachuted into Holyrood. Given the SNP raison d'etre, being run from WM is such a bad look that an MP as leader even temporarily is a non starter.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t follow the Kremlinology of the SNP too closely, are there other factions who will run a candidate? Could a Westminster MP try and run, Mairi Black or Joanna Cherry?

In historic terms, no reason why not. Obviously pre-1999 it was Westminster only. Since then, I think Salmond might have led from Westminster, but I think that's when the SNP were not the majority party in Holyrood.  Obviously, the equation is very different now 

Sturgeon took over from Salmond unopposed IIRC. 

The last SNP leadership election before that was in 2004 when Salmond came back to stop Roseanna Cunningham winning the leadership.  I didn't realise this but Nicola Sturgeon had originally said she'd stand but stood down to run as Salmond's number two.

Before that in 2003 Bill WIlson ran against John Swinney.  One interesting thing is that Wilson was opposed to a referendum on independence and said that as soon as the SNP formed a government they should negotiate for independence and not bother with another vote.  That was soundly defeated in a delegate vote at their conference.