Spain (a) in October

1 minute ago, magic sign said:

I thought with offsides, VAR made the decision, but with this one VAR sent the ref to the monitor. That's what confused me. Happy to be corrected if it's happened before.

The referee does not decide offside, thats factual. He WAS offside. But he doesnt touch the ball so the referee looks at the monitor to decide if he's doing enough to interfere with the keeper. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I am perhaps being too fair-minded or naïve depending on your standpoint, but I genuinely think the referee has just made the wrong signal by indicating for a foul rather than offside after going to the VAR screen. 

That was obviously the official decision communicated to the TV as well.

I'm assuming the big screen in the ground would have said "no goal - foul" but in Spanish 

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I am perhaps being too fair-minded or naïve depending on your standpoint, but I genuinely think the referee has just made the wrong signal by indicating for a foul rather than offside after going to the VAR screen. 

Don’t be stupid, it’s far more likely to be an international conspiracy.

Just now, Cardle is Magic said:

Who said he gave a foul? A free-kick was awarded, which is exactly what would have happened for an offside.

I understand why the majority will instantly squeal “CHEATS!” but that doesn’t mean it’s accurate.

The referee indicated a foul. (No offside indications or gestures were made)

UEFA stated it was a foul - changing it a while later.

The decision - in the moment - was foul.

Just now, ClydeTon said:

The referee indicated a foul. (No offside indications or gestures were made)

UEFA stated it was a foul - changing it a while later.

The decision - in the moment - was foul.

So…the ref made the wrong signal then?

Like I said, the communication was poor but the reason for the goal being chopped off was fairly obvious to anyone who knows the rules.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

The referee does not decide offside, thats factual. He WAS offside. But he doesnt touch the ball so the referee looks at the monitor to decide if he's doing enough to interfere with the keeper. 

The. Referee. Called. Foul. Not. Offside.

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Anyone in doubt fast forward the clip to 1:20, no lines drawn on the refs monitor as far as I can see.

The lines wouldn’t be there regardless, so that doesn’t prove or disprove anything. 

VAR determines offside position as a matter of fact. If (and I stress if) that happened, he informs the referee who then decides if there’s interference. The lines aren’t needed for that. 

Edited by The Master

Is everyone genuinely raging because the correctly chalked off goal was chalked off for the wrong reason? 

It clearly wasn't a foul. But it was offside and interfering. There's no injustice here, only incompetence.

Just now, Cardle is Magic said:

So…the ref made the wrong signal then?

Like I said, the communication was poor but the reason for the goal being chopped off was fairly obvious to anyone who knows the rules.

No, the referee disallowed the goal for the totally wrong reason.

UEFA confirmed it as a foul - which is done through verbal communication with the VAR room...

It wasn't just a wrong hand signal.

Just now, The Master said:

The lines wouldn’t be there, so that doesn’t prove or disprove anything. 

VAR determines offside position as a matter of fact. If (and I stress if) that happened, he informs the referee who then decides if there’s interference. The lines aren’t needed for that. 

What interference? Genuinely, how did he interfere with the play?

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Sore one that but plenty to be positive about. I thought Hickey (bar the slip), Porteous and McKenna were colossal at the back tonight. Hendry was a bit more shaky defensively. Midfield did struggle to make an impact in the first half but showed flashes after half time.

The disallowed goal, the referee gave a direct free kick for a foul on the keeper, not offside. If Hendry was offside, then yes I would accept the foul for offside as it did interfere with Simon. That is not what it was initially disallowed for. It's really poor work by the VAR team and UEFA tonight.

Dust ourselves down and move on to Sunday. A draw would be lovely.

Mostly agree,  but actually thought Hendry was outstanding, there was a couple of times Porteous (who I thought was outstanding as well) got too tight to his defender and Hendry bailed him out.  But I'm possibly being uber-picky.

Given we could have been completely thrown with Robbo going off before half-time, I thought our shape and defensive work was pretty much superb, and you've got to credit Steve Clarke for that.  Previously, we'd have lost 2-0 in these sort of games having been very much defensively naive, but Spain had to work hard for their goals, and even then pretty much off the back of the undoubted controversy of that disallowed goal.

I'd freshen things up for France, give the likes of Lewis Ferguson the chance to show what he can do.  But all in all, we have a lot to be cheerful about.