Spain (a) in October

3 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Even forgetting the McTominay goal, the we were up against it all game from that ref.

The McGinn one in the first half not being given, the Patterson booking, just an absolute abomination of a performance

I'm not totally disagreeing but I think Patterson got booked for dissent rather than the foul. Spanish goalie got booked for dissent after our goal was initially given and the broadcast didn't mention that. 

Other than the goal not being given, the most annoying thing was Laporte got away with absolute murder the whole game until a token booking when it was effectively done. 

Edited by Fuctifano

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You absolutely cannot say it’s looking straight across the pitch. You also can’t even see the players for McTominay.

The far clearer angle used for VAR shows that he's clearly in an offside position. I can’t believe people are debating this part of it.

You cant say any offside decision is correct because the VAR cameras arent actually quick enough to get the exact moment the balls played.

Remarkable how many people just ignore that with tight decisions.

Everythings got to be perfect and precise, apart from a major part of the whole process.

A half cooked bullshit idea in its entirity.

1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

Even forgetting the McTominay goal, the we were up against it all game from that ref.

The McGinn one in the first half not being given, the Patterson booking, just an absolute abomination of a performance

The Dykes booking was harsh too.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Hendry and the last Spanish defender are nearer the goal line than the ball was if he was level with the ball ge couldnt be offside). That photo is in line with the ball, not the last man.

Yes, I know.

Not sure of the point you're making.

By the letter of the Hendry is offside. I've always found that a particularly shite rule. Interference should be if you are deliberately standing in front of the keeper and obscuring him. Hendry didn't do that. 

All irrelevant because the goal was ruled out for a foul which UEFA have changed retrospectively to offside so as to cover their arses. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

You cant say any offside decision is correct because the VAR cameras arent actually quick enough to get the exact moment the balls played.

Remarkable how many people just ignore that with tight decisions.

The bigger issue with the frame rates are when the ball is moving in active play and there are players running in opposite directions - ie a defender rushing out to play offside as an attacker sprints through. A dead ball situation where the players are all basically just standing about is not going to have this issue.

Are people seriously using that photo as evidence that he is onside (or offside)?

Mctominay hasn't even touched the ball yet in the photo, it's difficult (impossible) to work out the angle where the line should be, and you can't even see Hendry's foot (which from other angles seems to be the offside part) because of McTominay's body being in the way.

You need the proper VAR angle with the lines, for all their limitations it's better than some random screenshot. Can't believe people are taking that photo seriously.

Really disappointing night. 

I thought the first half was a bit of a struggle. Spain pressed well and we had no out-ball anywhere on the park, but I think the change of formation just before-half time helped us get into the game as Christie could sit on Rodri and it gave us two targets to hit as well as some more space for the wing-backs. 

After about an hour, I was honestly feeling pretty relaxed that we'd get a point as Spain didn't look all that much better than they were in March, but the difference was that they had Morata in the middle rather than Joselu. I still think we would've equalised had Hickey not slipped, which is gutting for him as he was incredible - maybe the best I've ever seen him play. McKenna did well, too, and I thought Hendry was important as a leader in the middle and showed composure to deal with Spain's press quite a few times. 

Oh, and VAR is shite. 

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know you're not that daft. If the photo isnt in line with the last man its proving nothing about whether or noy Hendry is offside. You said it was the perfect angle. It quite clearly isnt.

How is this photo not in line with the last man? It's about as perfectly in line as you're likely to see.

Screenshot_20231012-222641__01.jpg

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The bigger issue with the frame rates are when the ball is moving in active play and there are players running in opposite directions - ie a defender rushing out to play offside as an attacker sprints through. A dead ball situation where the players are all basically just standing about is not going to have this issue.

What frame rate do they use? How many frames is a foot in contact with the ball when struck? 

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know you're not that daft. If the photo isnt in line with the last man its proving nothing about whether or noy Hendry is offside. You said it was the perfect angle. It quite clearly isnt.

It's the perfect angle in terms of looking across the pitch.  I've already conceded that the players were ahead of the ball, so offside in that regard.

It's perhaps at the wrong height however, to settle the question of what their legs were doing.

Just now, qos_75 said:

The Dykes booking was harsh too.

I actually thought that was lenient given he elbowed the lad in the chops.

Clusterfuck of a decision to disallow our goal. No clear and obvious error. Massive gamechanger which gave them a huge filip.

I hate VAR mainly because it doesn't solve the problem that it was imagined it would solve, and in addition to that it robs us of the spontaneous joy we go to football to enjoy.  

Che Adams offered more in 25 minutes than Lyndondowski did the whole game. He won a lot of headers, but didn't hold the ball up once. Adams had one great chance and another half chance.

I'm fucking livid at this result.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The far clearer angle used for VAR shows that he's clearly in an offside position. I can’t believe people are debating this part of it.

The problem with the VAR images shown on screen at the time is that you can't see when McTominay kicks the ball and there was no indication they were looking at offside.

The on-screen graphics (both on TV and in the stadiunm) and hand signals used by the referee indicate that the decision given was a foul.

I agree he was in an offside position, but given all of the above im not convinced that was a consideration at the time. This is another example (and they are mounting up) as to why access to audio from VAR discussions is now absolutely essential if it is to maintain any sense of credibility.

As for interfering with play this is typically given if the player actively impedes a goalkeeper or defender's ability to play the ball and/or obscures their vision. I don't believe Hendry did either.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Have you got that angle?

I've genuinely not seen it yet?  Is there a version with lines drawn?  I've seen it referenced on here a couple of times, but I've missed the image if its been posted, or was shown on TV.

The VAR check starts just after halfway here. Looks pretty clear that Hendry’s foot is beyond Morata’s elbow.