The Malik Tillman Incident - What Would You Want?

Poll  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last week in the cup, Rangers scored a goal against Partick Thistle when Malik Tillman, who had been off receiving treatment, ran on and won the ball back and scored while the Thistle defender was trying to return the ball to Rangers when play was resumed. Hilarity ensued, and Michael Beale subsequently told his team to let Thistle score.

This is the sort of incident in football that actually has some recent history - Marcelo Bielsa told his Leeds team to do the same thing a few years ago:

To me, so far, so heartening. In a sport full of cynicism and cheating, the idea of sportsmanship in response to an honest mistake is something to be admired.

It appears some Rangers fans would disagree

23437DCE-C1FC-43B2-BE21-9129BDEC4998.jpeg

It's an unusual situation. What would you want your club to do - really? I've kept the votes anonymous so everyone can be honest.

One of Stevie Crawford's goals for Plymouth was scored in similar style when a goal was scored after a player didn't know about/ignored the convention and scored when the defender was going to boot it back up the park. And Arsenal famously scored against Sheffield United in the FA Cup when the ball was being thrown back in and while they didn't let United score immediately afterwards, Arsene Wenger offered to replay the game which the FA and Sheffield Utd accepted. 

I'd be hoping my own team let the opposition score. Unless it was one of the Gruesome Twosome. Or maybe Falkirk. Or the Rovers. But normally, aye - bash on then let's get the game restarted.

Teams shouldnt be putting the ball out for an injured player in the first place. Let the ref stop it if he thinks its a head knock or a serious injury. Other than that play on and we dont end up with these situations.

On this incident though, it was the right thing for Rangers to do and would like to think Thistle would do the same. But it is fucking hilarious that some mutants are raging about one of the only decent acts their horrible little club has ever done. 

There should be an option for don't put the ball out at all, it's a lot of shite, let the ref decide if play needs to be stopped. Takes all of these issues away! 

However in the Rangers incident, it was the right thing to let Thistle score, as has been said previously a good chance for Rangers to look like the good guys for once and the fans lose the plot! 

The guy on the phone in going on about how badly Tillman could be injured, he ran on and scored can't be that bad! 

8 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Teams shouldnt be putting the ball out for an injured player in the first place. Let the ref stop it if he thinks its a head knock or a serious injury. Other than that play on and we dont end up with these situations.

On this incident though, it was the right thing for Rangers to do and would like to think Thistle would do the same. But it is fucking hilarious that some mutants are raging about one of the only decent acts their horrible little club has ever done. 

I appreciate this won't be too popular but perhaps put onus on the 'injured' player to raise there hand to stop play and an accepted minimum time for assessment in or immediate substitute. Would stop players feigning injury as much or that the injury doesn't require immediate care and stopping the game

Edited by gannonball

My only surprise is that having allowed Thistle to score unchallenged, VAR didn’t intervene and tell the referee to make sure The Rangers get something for free too. Shit, just spotted the problem with my view. That happens anyway.

I would be probably hypocritical and have it dependent on the situation tbh, would have to be a league deciding match or an important European scenario to not let them score.  I wouldn't be a roaster though and boo the manager for making the morally right decision however ffs.

I don’t think the Leeds one is as clear-cut as the Rangers one. The Villa players just stopped playing because they expected the ball to be put out, which is a bug-bear of mine. Would have been quite funny if Leeds didn’t give the goal back.

Edited by eez-eh

40 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

One of Stevie Crawford's goals for Plymouth was scored in similar style when a goal was scored after a player didn't know about/ignored the convention and scored when the defender was going to boot it back up the park.

I was at this game, I was in the area on holiday and went to watch Keith Lasley playing for Plymouth. The offending goal came when the keeper expected it played back to him after an injury and the player punted it goalward but the keeper had come to the corner of his box and it flew over his head. The same player then followed that 40 yarder with two more legitimate stunners from outside the box for his hat trick. 

He is now the manager of Hibs. 

Edited by brainier
missing word!