Newspapers

Newspapers  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which newspapers do you read? 

I used to buy the Guardian and Observer when I was younger but think the supplements have gone downhill (apart from the New Review, which is still worth a read). Now I only buy the FT weekend and it takes the whole week to read - excellent reporting, fairly centrist and phenomenal supplements. 

You can select more than one paper. I've included all UK papers, and one option for red-tops/Daily Mail as maximum allowed in a poll is 12. The Scotsman is clearly a tabloid these days, so should be filed under the penultimate option. 

Edited by The Other Foot

11 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Which newspapers do you read? 

I used to buy the Guardian and Observer when I was younger but think the supplements have gone downhill (apart from the New Review, which is still worth a read). Now I only buy the FT weekend and it takes the whole week to read - excellent reporting, fairly centrist and phenomenal supplements. 

You can select more than one paper. I've included all UK papers, and one option for red-tops/Daily Mail as maximum allowed in a poll is 12. The Scotsman is clearly a tabloid these days, so should be filed under the penultimate option. 

Not to cynical, but why not a “none” option. I suspect an increasingly large percentage of the population either get their news from online aggregators or family and friends rather than a traditional paper. Also, does reading the electronic version count?

I used to get a Record and a Scotsman on a Monday for the football/sport pull outs and the Telegraph on a Saturday for the review section and the big general knowledge crossword but nowadays I don't buy one at all. Will skim over the metro if I'm on the train or the Courier if I'm at my old man's but that's it.

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not to cynical, but why not a “none” option. I suspect an increasingly large percentage of the population either get their news from online aggregators or family and friends rather than a traditional paper. Also, does reading the electronic version count?

You are limited to 12 choices on P&B polls, so anyone who would have selected 'none' will need to specify in their post. Electronic version - naaaah. Was really looking to see how many are still reading print versions. 

Bar sometimes for a train trip I have not bought a paper in years. Many years ago used to buy the Sun on a Monday as it had the best Junior section in the football pull out of any paper, Record on a Saturday for the TV pull out and big crossword. And a Sunday varied between Herald or Times.

Gave up about a decade ago and don't need and don't miss.

Used to buy the herald very regularly, but moving up to Aberdeen has put the kibosh on that. Seems to be fewer than 10 copies in the whole city and the electronic version is shite.

Sadly, since Ian Bell died (legendary commie columnist) it's gone a bit to the right. I'm more into magazines lately. The New Internationalist is my favourite non-fitba/cycling publication.

17 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I dont actually buy one, but read The Guardian online.

Cant remember the last time I actually paid for a paper copy.

Same here, but my paper choice would be U.S. based. Will read a paper while on a trip, always worthwhile to look over a local rag.

I take the economist, but online only. It calls itself a newspaper and not a magazine and who am I to argue. But the answer is none. 

Last paper paper i read was a free metro on a train.  Typically about 5 minutes reading in each edition, max, with the only worthwhile bit being the sad c***s that made eye contact with someone a week previous and wrote in about it. "To the blonde on the circle line, i was the  ̶b̶a̶l̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶i̶d̶d̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶ ̶l̶e̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶i̶t̶s̶,̶ ̶sensitive hunk you shared a smile with. call me." 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I get local papers delivered and get national and international news online. Pretty sure that the Press and Journal sells more than the Scotsman and Herald combined.

It does. About 25k a day P& J and about 20k combined Herald and Scotsman. 

The Australian and through that free access to The Times and Sunday Times. Sydney Morning Herald as special offer sub plus similar with my local paper, The Advertiser which gives free access to 9 others. All online. Will probably ditch the local paper sub as it’s gone from shite to utter shite plus they’ve dropped the comic strips.