Lofarl

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

image.png.4384710d7bf85f33ab3020060152a386.png

Aside from that fact we won the cup twice, not once; were runners up 3 times and not 2; and Jack Grimmer never played for us, this is spot on.

You won't like this bit of scary (but partially factually dodgy) auto-generation:

The rivalry between Dunfermline Athletic and Falkirk FC, two Scottish football clubs, has a long and storied history. While the two teams have a relatively even record against each other, in recent years Dunfermline has emerged as the dominant force in the rivalry.

Dunfermline Athletic, also known as the Pars, was founded in 1885 and has a proud history. The team has won the Scottish Cup twice and the Scottish First Division (now known as the Scottish Championship) four times. Falkirk FC, founded in 1876, has also had some success, winning the Scottish Cup once and the Scottish First Division seven times. However, in recent years, Dunfermline has had the upper hand.

One of the reasons for Dunfermline's dominance over Falkirk is their head-to-head record. In their last 10 meetings, Dunfermline has won six times, while Falkirk has only won twice. The remaining two matches were draws. This record clearly shows that Dunfermline has been the better team in recent times.

Another reason for Dunfermline's dominance is their consistency. Dunfermline has been a stable and consistent team in recent years, finishing in the top half of the Scottish Championship in most seasons. On the other hand, Falkirk has struggled to find consistency, finishing in the bottom half of the table more often than not. This inconsistency has made it difficult for Falkirk to compete with Dunfermline.

It's worth noting that the dominance of Dunfermline over Falkirk is not a new phenomenon. In the 1970s and 80s, Dunfermline had a long unbeaten run against Falkirk, which lasted for several years. However, Falkirk managed to turn the tables in the late 90s and early 2000s, winning several matches in a row against their rivals.

In conclusion, while the rivalry between Dunfermline Athletic and Falkirk FC has been a closely contested one over the years, Dunfermline has emerged as the dominant force in recent times. Their head-to-head record, consistency, and success in cup competitions have all contributed to their dominance. However, it's worth noting that football is a fickle sport, and fortunes can change quickly. Falkirk will undoubtedly be looking to turn the tables and re-establish themselves as a force to be reckoned with in this long-standing rivalry.

Edited by Hedgecutter

15 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

What happens if one asks chatGPT how to destroy chatGPT?

It's got a sentiment detection portion that does a pretty good job of detecting when the conversation strays into violent, illegal or harmful material, so it'll almost certainly spot that and tell you it's programmed not to tell you that stuff.

Well I assume so. I tried goading it in the opposite direction and got some boilerplate that started:

I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I cannot provide advice that promotes illegal or harmful activities, such as starting a revolution to overthrow humanity.

On 28/02/2023 at 00:45, Jambomo said:

I agree with you. The problem is that they aren’t citing ChatGPT as a source of information, they would be citing the thing that wrote their essay for them. Even only using bits of it, you wouldn’t get away with lifting straight paragraphs out a journal etc. 

Just give anyone found using it at all a zero. Part of essay writing is quoting reliable and academically sound sources, you aren’t going to let a student away with citing Wikipedia, why let them away with ChatGPT when we don’t the source of its information?

1) The program isn't going anywhere and will only get exponentially more effective/harder to detect over time. It is an arms race that cannot possibly be won by clunking institutions whose own technology is always 15-20 years behind.

2) Part of essay writing in the bad old days involved hand writing the entire thing, or setting and resetting a typewriter. That's not coming back either. Is using spell check software or more advanced grammar aids letting something else 'write' the essay for you?

Rather than 'cite chatGPT' or give students no award - both of which are unsustainable - the reality is that the open book essay as a form of assessment is finished. The short term limitations of the software only give institutions a little breathing space to decide what to replace them with. Either assessments will have to revert to exam conditions more often, or the open book questions will have to focus on close textual analysis and critical interpretation of a specific text(s) for a student to develop their response to. 

On the positive side, using software as a building block for writing means that the standard can be raised significantly higher in terms of critical thinking skills. 

One colleague is using this in a different way. Her field is construction contracts and ChatGPT gets this stuff wrong. 

She asked the programme a question about contracts, and it gave her an answer that wasn't up to much. So now she is giving the students an assignment that reads like: here is what ChatGPT said, critically analyse the answer and explain where it is inaccurate. 

20 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Ive asked it a fairly basic concrete question and its pretty much got every single bit of it wrong.  As I said, fucking useless. 

Hide contents

Tell me about the carbonation of high fly ash concrete

High fly ash concrete (HFAC) is a type of concrete made with fly ash, a by-product from burning coal, as a partial replacement for Portland cement. This type of concrete is becoming increasingly popular due to its environmental benefits. When fly ash is used in concrete, the carbonation of fly ash in the concrete matrix is a very important process. Carbonation is an exothermal reaction (i.e. it releases heat) that takes place between the carbon dioxide in the air and the calcium hydroxide in the fly ash. The reaction produces calcium carbonate, which is insoluble in water and can cause the concrete to become more resistant to water and other substances. In addition to improving the durability of the concrete, carbonation also helps to reduce the amount of shrinkage that occurs during the curing process, making it more stable. Carbonation also improves the resistance of the concrete to attack from chemicals, such as acids and alkalis. The carbonation process in HFAC is slower than for concrete made with Portland cement, because the calcium hydroxide in fly ash is not as reactive as the calcium hydroxide in Portland cement. 

Looks fine to me.

Has anyone else found this to be legitimately useful at work yet? Part of my job involves researching business opportunities in foreign countries, and since signing up 24hours ago it has saved me almost a week of work (mostly in terms of identifying countries with highest spend in sector A, highest need in sector B, main sources of finance etc).

I’m not trusting its answers exactly, but using them to direct and assist my own research. 

I’m also beginning to wonder if there is a direct correlation between the efficacy of chatGPT in certain jobs, and its potential future ability to render those jobs meaningless…. 

😬

1 hour ago, The Other Foot said:

Has anyone else found this to be legitimately useful at work yet?

Actually yes. There was some build error in some software that we were writing (we'd got a library dependency that was unnecessarily version-dependent), colleague joked that he should ask ChatGPT how to fix it, so I just went ahead and did just that, and it came back with the right cmake function to use.

58 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Actually yes. There was some build error in some software that we were writing (we'd got a library dependency that was unnecessarily version-dependent), colleague joked that he should ask ChatGPT how to fix it, so I just went ahead and did just that, and it came back with the right cmake function to use.

So essentially you and I can ride a wave of ultra efficiency at the click of a mouse for…maybe the next few years? And then BOOM. It’s the dole queue. 

18 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Has anyone asked it if Rangers died?

Jim Traynor’s clearly sent a statement to Microsoft:

It is not clear what you are referring to with the term "Rangers." However, if you are asking whether the Scottish professional football club Rangers F.C. has died, the answer is no. Rangers F.C. has a long and storied history, having been founded in 1872. The club has experienced a number of ups and downs over the years, including financial difficulties and relegation to the Scottish Third Division in 2012. However, the club has since regained its position in the top flight of Scottish football and continues to compete at a high level. In fact, Rangers F.C. won the Scottish Premiership in the 2020-21 season, its 55th league title overall. So, to answer your question, Rangers F.C. has not died and remains an active and successful football club.

Edited by The Other Foot

48 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd like to know ChatGpt's thoughts on Pie and Bovril

Pie and Bovril, a forum of football, Where Scottish fans gather, standing tall, Debating games and teams and scores, Sharing knowledge, and so much more.

With pies in hand and Bovril too, The forum buzzes with thoughts anew, From Premiership to lower leagues, Fans of all teams come to siege.

Discussions lively, debates galore, On every match, both near and far, Stats and news, predictions made, Analysis deep, no topic strayed.

A place for banter, camaraderie, Support and humor, so much to see, Pie and Bovril, a forum of delight, For Scottish football fans, day or night.

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd like to know ChatGpt's thoughts on Pie and Bovril

The forum Pie & Bovril was a place of passionate discourse, where men and women of all stripes came to argue and opine on the beautiful game. They spoke of tactics and players, of victories and defeats, of love and hate. Some wrote with eloquence and wit, while others wielded crude insults and banter like weapons. Yet through it all, the spirit of competition and camaraderie prevailed, as they shared in the highs and lows of their favorite teams. The forum was a microcosm of life, with all its joys and sorrows, victories and defeats. And in that sense, it was a reflection of the human condition itself.