Hibernian v Rangers

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

The club you support is steeped in religious bigotry and continues to play songs at your ground that allow all sorts of disgusting add-ons.

I’d be interested to hear what these songs are that are played by Rangers.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

Rangers have a picture of the queen in their dressing room. They sell orange *wink wink* rangers tops. If you don’t think they pander to the bigotry of the support you’re a complete lost cause. 

I could write a fucking dissertation on the sectarian subtext to some of the statements your club produced after the cup final. 

Rangers as in the club seem to be run by complete c***s. This isn’t a one off. You were run by c***s when you didn’t sign catholics and you were run by c***s when you went bust to beat Celtic. You’re still run by c***s who pander to the persecution complex of your support after going bust. 

it’s pathetic to see rangers supporters attempt to disassociate themselves from the club they actively support. You’re unapologetically bigoted and the only response is “I’m not a bigot”. You are complicit. Fucking own it you weak c***s. 

8 minutes ago, Judy Murray said:

Rangers have a picture of the queen in their dressing room. They sell orange *wink wink* rangers tops. If you don’t think they pander to the bigotry of the support you’re a complete lost cause. 

I could write a fucking dissertation on the sectarian subtext to some of the statements your club produced after the cup final. 

Rangers as in the club seem to be run by complete c***s. This isn’t a one off. You were run by c***s when you didn’t sign catholics and you were run by c***s when you went bust to beat Celtic. You’re still run by c***s who pander to the persecution complex of your support after going bust. 

it’s pathetic to see rangers supporters attempt to disassociate themselves from the club they actively support. You’re unapologetically bigoted and the only response is “I’m not a bigot”. You are complicit. Fucking own it you weak c***s. 

So… what are the songs? You know, the specific thing I asked about.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

So… what are the songs? You know, the specific thing I asked about.

Lets start with simply the best.  A song your club has to cut short because the full version your support cant help themselves chanting f**k the pope to?

7 hours ago, AJF said:

“Simply the Best” as you take to the field. 
It was stopped before a game against Maribor in 2001 but it was reintroduced later that year later probably to satisfy the demands of the majority of your support.

This quote from https://www.thefreelibrary.com/RANGERS+BAN+SIMPLY+THE+BEST%3B+Bigots+stole+our+anthem+blasts+club.-a076980190

“Last year, Ibrox operations executive Laurence Macintyre admitted he was angered by some of the fans after Ayr United supporters were upset when bigots sang their version after a semi-final hammering in the Scottish Cup. 

He said: "As a club we are bitterly disappointed that a large section of our fan base has taken Simply the Best, which had become the anthem of the stadium, and introduced sectarian language into it." 

Then it was reintroduced in December 2001.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/simply-best-again-ibrox-2475153

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I remember at ibrox when they used to have a loyalist mega mix playing rule Britannia, Dambusters etc to entertain the small, tiny group of wee neds that enjoy it. 

That Bairnardo,  up to no good as usual. 

51 minutes ago, Molotov said:

It was stopped before a game against Maribor in 2001 but it was reintroduced later that year later probably to satisfy the demands of the majority of your support.

This quote from https://www.thefreelibrary.com/RANGERS+BAN+SIMPLY+THE+BEST%3B+Bigots+stole+our+anthem+blasts+club.-a076980190

“Last year, Ibrox operations executive Laurence Macintyre admitted he was angered by some of the fans after Ayr United supporters were upset when bigots sang their version after a semi-final hammering in the Scottish Cup. 

He said: "As a club we are bitterly disappointed that a large section of our fan base has taken Simply the Best, which had become the anthem of the stadium, and introduced sectarian language into it." 

Simply the best has been edited so that the add ons can't be sung, looking back I'm embarrassed that needed to be done.  There's nothing that could be classed as offensive played by the club.

The atmosphere at our games is pretty good when the religious/loyalist shite is dropped, quite a few catchy songs. Though the sectarian stuff has came back.

Along with our friends from the east end,  we're damaging Scottish fitba. Both clubs should take a joint stance with no "they're worse than us" nonsense and work together to stop it and move on.

7 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Lets start with simply the best.  A song your club has to cut short because the full version your support cant help themselves chanting f**k the pope to?

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

As has already been pointed out, Simply The Best only has the chorus played nowadays. There are no add ons sang to it any more.

8 minutes ago, bennett said:

That Bairnardo,  up to no good as usual. 

Simply the best has been edited so that the add ons can't be sung, looking back I'm embarrassed that needed to be done.  There's nothing that could be classed as offensive played by the club.

The atmosphere at our games is pretty good when the religious/loyalist shite is dropped, quite a few catchy songs. Though the sectarian stuff has came back.

Along with our friends from the east end,  we're damaging Scottish fitba. Both clubs should take a joint stance with no "they're worse than us" nonsense and work together to stop it and move on.

I like your comments on this contentious issue. The club, the police, the football authorities need to take a zero tolerance approach at both clubs to eradicate this sectarian cancer from our national game.

Enough is enough.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

As has already been pointed out, Simply The Best only has the chorus played nowadays. There are no add ons sang to it any more.

But there is still a majority of your home and away support who indulge in traditional sectarian songs.

Enough is enough.

Zero tolerance approach by all parties.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

The club will have that ready for their evidence of ‘doing everything we can to eradicate sectarianism’ 

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

But there is still a majority of your home and away support who indulge in traditional sectarian songs.

Enough is enough.

Zero tolerance approach by all parties.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

The club will have that ready for their evidence of ‘doing everything we can to eradicate sectarianism’ 

I’m not contesting that there is a wider issue nor am I saying the club go far enough. But the claim that the club play songs that allow offensive add ons is just not correct.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I’m not contesting that there is a wider issue nor am I saying the club go far enough. But the claim that the club play songs that allow offensive add ons is just not correct.

They could have stopped playing it altogether.

Which leads me nicely on to 

“altogether now the cry was No Surrender….”

”Hello hello” @AJF

Do those songs still exist at Rangers football games in 2023?

I have listened to these songs for over 50years. It’s toxic in nature. What do either of those two examples have anything to do with football?

You are trying way to hard to defend the indefensible.

17 minutes ago, Molotov said:

They could have stopped playing it altogether.

Which leads me nicely on to 

“altogether now the cry was No Surrender….”

”Hello hello” @AJF

Do those songs still exist at Rangers football games in 2023?

I have listened to these songs for over 50years. It’s toxic in nature. What do either of those two examples have anything to do with football?

You are trying way to hard to defend the indefensible.

I’m not defending the claim that there is still a sectarian issue. If you’ve paid attention to me long enough on here you’d know that. In this instance I was simply correcting a false claim. That doesn’t equate to defending sectarianism though.

11 hours ago, Renfrewblue said:

Yes, the history of the club is as you say. Am I responsible for that? 

You've then said the majority at Ibrox sing horrific chants. That's just factually inaccurate. A large number do but its not the majority. 

You've decided we're all bigots, just for supporting a particular sports team. 

Your own logic changes each sentence and gets more unreasonable at the same time. 

And for what it's worth I agree with your last paragraph,partially. The worst element of the support has got worse since 2012. I had hoped we'd move in the other direction but the unpopular owners back then decided to go for the easy buck and pandered to the scum. 

So we've gone from a small minority to a large minority.

13 hours ago, Molotov said:

By you continuing to pay money to a club that allows such “traditions” to fester you are financially supporting a bigoted organisation. 

If your so called fellow “good guys”called out the “wanks” in your support and did something about it then maybe your argument would hold up.

It’s called self policing. It’s possible to make changes but you are just allowing it to fester by doing nothing. 

You're assuming a lot here. 

I do call out the bigots both here, in the ground and in everyday life. Same as I call out racists, homophobes etc. 

I also avoid places that big groups of bigots go, certain pubs in sure you'll have heard of, because I don't like bigotry so tend to avoid it. 

Other than that you're asking me to let the bigots drive me away from my team. How does that help, at all? 

55 minutes ago, Renfrewblue said:

You're assuming a lot here. 

I do call out the bigots both here, in the ground and in everyday life. Same as I call out racists, homophobes etc. 

I also avoid places that big groups of bigots go, certain pubs in sure you'll have heard of, because I don't like bigotry so tend to avoid it. 

Other than that you're asking me to let the bigots drive me away from my team. How does that help, at all? 

How do we ever eradicate this sectarian cancer from our game and subsequently our society?

Perhaps we all take a zero tolerance approach?

That surely has to start with the clubs and the football authorities.

Fines? Partial/full stadium closes? Points deductions?

UEFA take a stance against both Glasgow clubs when their fans sing or display sectarian or political views. 

Why not our own domestic football authorities?

They seem scared to tackle this issue.

I honestly don’t think it will ever change for the better in my lifetime. 

That’s really sad. 

8 minutes ago, Molotov said:

How do we ever eradicate this sectarian cancer from our game and subsequently our society?

Perhaps we all take a zero tolerance approach?

That surely has to start with the clubs and the football authorities.

Fines? Partial/full stadium closes? Points deductions?

UEFA take a stance against both Glasgow clubs when their fans sing or display sectarian or political views. 

Why not our own domestic football authorities?

They seem scared to tackle this issue.

I honestly don’t think it will ever change for the better in my lifetime. 

That’s really sad. 

I feel a lot of the same frustration. I do what I can on a personal level but I can't change the big issues you've outlined here. But that's what folk on this thread think I should be doing. 

Society in general has an issue and if we resolve that we'll help fix the shite at the football. 

So it's down to everybody to do their bit. 

The decline of the OO in Scotland is a positive indicator.